1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Build the Perfect Quarterback

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Oct 25, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was thinking about what attributes I would use to craft the perfect QB and I thought it would be fun to see what others would choose. Maybe we could also try it with the skill positions (WR, RB), although for WR I'd probably just take Jerry Rice.

Rules: Select 3 of the 10 listed attributes to build your "Perfect" quarterback.

1.) Mr. Measurables The ideal size-athleticism combo of Cam Newton
    2.) The Sniper The precision release and field vision of Drew Brees
    3.) The Natural The all-around "It factor" and throw-on-the-run ability of Aaron Rodgers
    4.) The Maestro The pre-snap chess match intellect and offense orchestration of Peyton Manning
    5.) The Freak The escapability, cannon arm and flat-line speed of Michael Vick
    6.) Houdini The razor sharp accuracy and scramble wizardry of Steve Young
    7.) Captain Comeback The 2 minute drill, game winning drive ability of John Elway
    8.) The General The spread offense mastery of Tom Brady
    9.) Joe Cool The in-game poise of Joe Montana
    10.) Bomberman The long ball dominance of Dan Marino

For me, I would go 1, 6, 7.

A QB with the size-speed of Cam Newton, with Steve Young's accuracy and John Elway's comeback ability.

#1 moestavern19, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I think Roflberger is better at #3 than Aaron Rodgers. As much as I hate to say it. Rodgers is like great at everything, but not really the best at anything.

And also, I think Joe Montana and John Elway should be combined into one category, both dudes were pretty much masters of the comeback.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fox showed a graphic last week that estimated Rodgers "out of the pocket" QB Rating at about 141.7.

Nobody else was even in the stratosphere.

4. DonnyMost

if you're telling me my QB is going to have a crappy offensive line, I want rofleberger. he throws on the run pretty well and is probably the hardest QB to bring down in the league. hate him, but he moves in the pocket better than anybody. when i think 'pocket presence', i think him.

5. nene

nene Contributing Member

I know he is only a rookie but Newton already has about 4 1/2 of these attributes, and he should only get better. So many were so wrong about this kids ability to play the position.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Montana was able to do it under pressure on the big stage. That is why his in-game poise was 2nd to none. As far as straight up driving down the field and winning games when they needed to be won... nobody was on Elway's level.

In the 1985 season Elway had 6 4th quarter comeback wins, most of them he'd win with bull**** stats because his receivers sucked and he had no running game.

I always hated that buck-toothed ****, but nobody was better than Elway at the 4th quarter comeback.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

3, 9, 10.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ben is probably the hardest QB in the league to bring down, with Vick a close 2nd.

The problem with Ben is he'll step up in the pocket, shake off a sack that buys him 3 more seconds, then still hold onto the ball and take a sack.

Aaron's offensive line was getting him killed 2 seasons ago, he adapted to it and learned how to buy time for his receivers down the field. Guys like Manning, Brady and Brees just pick apart defenses with audibles into short routes... the ball is out before the defense can blink an eye.

But Rodgers will find a way to avoid the rush and wait for his speedsters to get open down the field. I've never seen a QB with his natural instincts. He could end up the greatest QB of all time.

9. DonnyMost

That does happen, but more often than not throughout his career, he'll make some little dinky throw with 3 guys pulling him down that gets busted off for 30 yards. It's annoying as hell. Fat drunk butthole is hard to knock down.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I would describe Big Ben's calling card would be the ability to absorb hits and bounce off of them. He has escapability and throw on the run, but he's not as athletic as Aaron or Vick. What he does have over others is that he's a pretty big guy to take down with just an initial hit, you have to wrap him up and take him down.

Plus why is Schaub's ability to throw off the back foot not on the list?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Roethlisberger is just tough. Durability is a vastly underrated attribute for a QB. With Ben even if you get to him, you can't really get to him.

Whereas a guy like Matt Cassel will turn into a sissy after he hits the turf a couple times, you knock Ben's ass out and he gets right back up and throws the next ball perfectly over the coverage to a streaking wideout.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Vince Young's WINNING and Matt Schaub's BACKFOOT.

Unstoppable.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I thought Dan Marino was known for having the quickest release and therefore had some record for being the least sacked qb or something like that.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Marino had to have a quick release because he had the mobility of a library.

His deep ball is widely considered the prettiest and most deadly in NFL history.

15. DonnyMost

you forgot #11: the tardface of phillip rivers.

[​IMG]

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Tardface still no match for Manning face.

Or triple Manning Face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL at the pre-snap pee-pee games of Peyton Manning. He can orchestrate an entire offense, but honing-in on the pee-pee games -- ha for Manning.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

1, 4 (I assume it's implied that his covers Manning's incredible pre-game preparation) & 6.

No love for Jeff George, moes?

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Despite his lack of mobility he still had one of the best pocket presence. Just saying that one of the first things people usually say when talking about Marino is his quick release.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Go do some jager shots 1-5, real men are talking about football here.