1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BSKBALL:Trade exception to Seattle(they sign MO)in Exchange for Patterson and Scrubs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Thanos, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Thanos

Thanos Member

"Taylor has indicated to a quiet a few people he is ready to be with a team now---ANY TEAM!-- no, but its getting to the point were Maurice is going to be reasonable, or at least as reasonable as he can be. After turning down the Raptors offer, and I am hearing it was mostly Falk related, pitching the same anti-Canada garbage we all hate (no endorsements, higher taxes, lesser role---all untrue---but Mo isn't the sharpest tool in the shed now is he?) Taylor was said to have met with the Sonic last week, and was very impressed with the operation, and was very interested in the team. Wally Walker has been very busy seeing what could be done to trade for Taylor and with the Clippers almost closed to a sign and trade, a deal could be hard to make. The latest rumor of a package from Seattle has Ruben Patterson, Vernon Maxwell, Greg Foster and Vladimir Stepania heading to the Clippers, but seeing as they turned down offers with far less players before, I don't see them jumping at this one. But if the Sonics can get the Clips to agree, this allows the Sonics to get Taylor in the $5 million per season range. The Rockets have a simpler deal on the table, and that could be Bryce Drew and their trade exception, or even odder than that, would be Houston trading their exception to Seattle for the players listed above, and let Seattle use the exception to land Taylor. Humm, gets interesting. More as it develops."

-------

Puzzling, to say the least. The scrubs are useless, and even Vernon wouldn´t have a place on our team.

Patterson, on the other hand, could be our SF for years to come.

If we still managed to get rid of Walt and sign a banger like Jerome Williams, that would be an intersting idea... even more intersting than just singning Mo.

What do to with the Scrubs, though?

Just waive them? It´s not that simple.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"

2. Rocketincleveland

Vernon Maxwell!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    HAKEEM... the best ever!

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I can't see us trading the exception for Patterson and scrubs. Now, if we were talking Rashard...that's a different story. Unfortunately, he's locked up [​IMG]. If this deal became a 3 way deal, and it somehow got us Olowakandi or Maggette for the exception, that'd be a different story, but LAC is highly unlikely to do that. I doubt we take on one decent player without an outside shot, and scrubs for the exception, that's a waste. All the mentioned players are not free agents till 02, so it's not even helping us in that area.

The biggest reason this doesn't make sense: Why would we help out the Sonics? We could just as easily force Mo to do what he apparently doesn't want to do: Take less money by signing for the exception, or force them to give up better things to the Clippers. Problem is, they don't have better things to give.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

4. brahma

brahma Member

isnt bskball the same person that said mobley is going to the raptors

------------------

5. The Cat

The Cat Member

He didn't say it was a lock- he just reported that Mobley was leaning towards signing with Toronto, which actually was true at the time. It didn't end up that way, as the Raptors talks with Croshere turned Mobley off to them, but at the time he was leaning towards Toronto.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that rumor obviously, as we wouldn't want Max, Stepania, and Foster, especially considering their contracts don't run out until '02. I know the Sonics are looking for a 3rd team to work a sign and trade with, and perhaps BSKball was doing a bit of speculating that Houston with its trade exception could get involved. If, however, Houston is interested in becoming a 3rd party, I'll throw the name Horace Grant out there. Nothing special I know, but he is a big power forward who can rebound and defend, and his contract is up after this season. If Taylor were to go to the Sonics, they would probably have to put Baker at center so Taylor could play the PF spot. Grant would not be needed as much, and while he would not be the long-term answer for the Rockets, he could help man down the PF spot for this one season after which his contract runs out, still giving us cap room. Just a thought.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Sign Mo Taylor. Bench Kenny Thomas.

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Final Four)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000983.html

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Anyway we can get Maggette in the deal too?

7. The Cat

The Cat Member

I see no reason why the Clippers would want to part with Maggette in a deal, considering the amount of potential he has. Even if we could pry him away the deal could not happen until August 28, because he was just traded to the Clippers on June 28. You have to wait two months. But I'm sure Maggette is an intregral part of the Clippers young nucleus, so I think any talk of him is a little unrealistic.

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

If the Clippers felt strongly about Q Dog being a big time player, I think they'd consider trading Maggette (due to the fact they already have Odom and Miles, so their wouldn't be space for him at the 3.)

The only way we COULD have it work out, would be to have it in a separate deal, where Maggette was the only Clipper being traded.

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited August 12, 2000).]

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

I went to a few Sonics message boards, and ran into an interesting perspective from one of their fans. He understands that Houston would not want Seattle's trash and Patterson, and also Seattle fans say that Boston is interested in being a 3rd team and trading for Patterson. So he suggested a FOUR team deal between the Clippers, Sonics, Rockets, and Celtics if Taylor were to want to go to Seattle. Here is what he suggested, and it works cap-wise as well.

Clippers get: Rockets 4.5M trade exception, future Boston draft pick, cash from Boston

Sonics get: Mo Taylor at 5M per season

Celtics get: Ruben Patterson, Vernon Maxwell, Greg Foster, Vladimir Stepania

Rockets get: Danny Fortson at 4M per season

Do you guys like this deal? It has not been rumored anywhere that I know of, but if you speculate a little off BSKball saying we might get involved as a 3rd team, it makes some sense.

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I will take Fortsen. I like that deal.

I would love to have Patterson as well, but I will take Danny.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

11. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

I'd only take Fortson for a one-year deal. $4 million off next year's caproom gives us not anywhere close to enough to sign Webber or another big-time player. That's why Mo is such a plus, he only wants a one year deal.

------------------

12. GATER

GATER Member

Fortson is a little under-sized for a 4, but then again that didn't stop Sir Charles. I realize stats can be deceiving, but based on 99-00 stats he would bring 14.7 ppg and 12.8 rebs for 30 minutes. The downside is he would avg less that a block a game as he only had 5 for the 99-00 season.

------------------
    GATER

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

No thanks I want Mo. Fortson can't score.

14. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

anyone else horrified by the thought of greg foster in a rocket uniform?

------------------

15. Ace

Ace Member

The Cat,

Always appreciate how you go searching the web for comments from other message boards. That way I won't hear things that only make sense for the Rockets. [​IMG]

The Rockets will never take on a bunch of scrubs for their valued exception and help out our conference rivals.
    Sure, Patterson is decent but the Rockets will have to find a way to rid themselves of the rest of the scrubs (Vernon Maxwell will never play with the Rockets again).
    Remember, many are sepculating that Seattle will be the team most likely to miss the playoffs next season. Why would the Rockets, a potential playoff team, want to help them out?
    In addition, I think the Rockets should take AntiSonic's feelings into consideration as well. [​IMG]

First, you guys complain that Mo can't score and that we really need a Fortson type player. Now that the deal is suggested we say that he reeks because of the fact that he can't score. I think it's pretty funny for some reason.

Fortson is in many ways the type of guy we need. Many have mentioned how we have no trouble scoring, but are often beaten on the boards and on the defensive end. Who cares if Fortson can't score? He would provide great rebounding and would make for a better defensive presence compared to Mo Taylor.

One question, though. How long would we have to hold on to Fortson?
    One of the big reasons I wouldn't mind having Mo here is because he would only be signing for one year. That gives us a lot of flexibility and will allow us to go after Webber, do we clear some more cap room first. Preferably through Bryce Drew and others.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited August 12, 2000).]

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Fortson has asked for a 5 year, 30 million dollar contract, and the first team that appeases Boston via sign and trade between GS and NY, gets him. Is Fortson worth 5 years, 30 mill?

Some facts on our Team Rebounding:
    1. Rockets were 9th in the league in overall rebounding.
    2. The Rockets OUTREBOUNDED their opponents an average of 43.8 compared to 42.4.

New York, in CLASSIC Knick fashion (they apparently offered up LJ for Brian Grant.....laughed off) has offered up their overpriced 2nd string PG (Chris Childs) in a sign and trade.

I'd talk to Fortson, and offer them a sign and trade of Fortson for Walt/Drew for giggles.
    ------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited August 12, 2000).]

17. Mango

Mango Member

Nice money for a role player.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

18. RT45

RT45 Member

Says who? Most the comments I have heard on Seattle from NBA insiders and experts is that Seattle will likely be the suprise team in the west.

------------------

19. The Cat

The Cat Member

Nike,

Yes, Fortson asked for that originally. But right now he is in the process of deciding between 2.25M exception offers by the Warriors and Knicks. He is in practically the identical situation as Mo Taylor is in. If some team could offer him more than the exception and a starting role, I think he'd jump at it.

------------------

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Championship)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000991.html

20. Mango

Mango Member

Is Brian Grant worth four times (salary) as much as Fortson?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!