1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. jcmoon

jcmoon Member

i disagree. We still need those cheap contracts cuz we're going to have major cap issues. This is what we should do. Trade dillon and van fleet this summer or before next trade deadline for expirings and picks. Resign all 5 or 6 of our young guys. Keep those picks since they'll be the new developing players. Forget the NBA players who can help right now, we are still rebuilding.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No offense to DD. But he didn’t want to use the draft picks, which ended up being Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore this last offseason. Nothing you could have gotten would likely be remotely close to what these guys will be giving you in the coming years.

This may not always be the case and you want to trade for a player that fits a specific role when you are really starting to try and improve at the margins. Newsflash though DD you can also trade a player down the road that you draft as well they don’t always just disappear into zero value.

xaos and jcmoon like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Member

yup, and this is exactly how you build a championship contender. Its a slow tough process, but its the only way. In my eyes amen thompson is the only one with true superstar potential if he can learn how to shoot. The fact that we got cam whitmore made vanfleet and jalen green expendable. Eason and thompson have made brooks expendable. We need to just hold on to our young guys, even green if possible and let them develop, and then hopefully hit in the draft again. We can then trade one or two of these guys later on there second contract for more picks or an allstar if available. During this time we can just let all these old teams get older and let their windows close.

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

There should be 3 constants when it comes to the draft and the lottery

1) No one from the G-League
    2) No one from Overtime Elite
    3) No one from Kentucky

None of these teams produce winners.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

1) Khris Middleton, Serge Ibaka, Pascal Siakam, Fred VanVleet, Danny Green (starters and/or key rotation players on championship teams)
    2) Too early to tell, but Amen & Ausar look like they will have good-to-great careers
    3) Lolwut--the list of star players from Kentucky is a mile long

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No one from Kentucky? What are you talking about? There's literally a saying: "When in doubt, take a Kentucky guard."

BMoney, BallSoHarden and OremLK like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Uhhhhh just to name a few Jamal Murray, AD, rajon rondo, Tyrese maxey, herro, fox, bam, Kat all came from Kentucky. SGA is a bonafide star and mvp candidate. One should be fired if they use this never take anyone from Kentucky logic

BallSoHarden likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say it needs to be a player by player issue. That said, did those players play in the G League before being drafted?

Corrosion likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, Fred wasn't drafted at all :D

But yeah, very few players have ever been drafted directly out the G-League at all, and almost none before 2019 (so most guys are still pretty young and inexperienced). I don't think we have enough of a sample size to say anything definitive one way or another yet.

10. MystikArkitect

Valenciunas and Claxton are both free agents this offseason. Valenciunas at 31 is a perfect backup to Sengun along with being a good mentor. Rockets need to trade the picks/Green and end up with Bridges and another backup shooter like Kispert/Grimes.

Knicks Get: Cam Johnson

Rockets Get: Quentin Grimes/Mikal Bridges

Nets Get: Jalen Green/2023 FRP Swap/2024 FRP

Hemingway likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’m guessing you meant the 25 swap, but this would be a great trade in my opinion.

12. Rockets34Legend

The savior is back to help us with our pick.

Jorge M Gutierrez likes this.
  13. Jorge M Gutierrez

You treat it like it’s Bitcoin - you hodl that **** for years

you don’t cash out.

14. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Buy doge

15. dmoneybangbang

You always need developing players..... which isn't the same thing as moving to a phase with less developmental players.

I just don't understand this need to try and leap ahead of a bunch of great NBA teams.

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Near triple double in 18 minutes, nets looked good today.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

there’s a decent chance Brooklyn finishes the 2nd half of the season better than they started. I know we’ve all been prognosticating their doom, but there could be some disappointed rockets fans when we get to draft time. I hope we don’t overplay our hand. It’s still very unlikely this turns into a top 4 pick. And absent a super high draft pick I don’t see how a mid-late lotto developmental prospect in a weak draft is what this team needs.

RudyTBag and OremLK like this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ben Simmons probably won't be around long, going by his history, but I would have no objection to cashing in this pick in particular--depending on who we're getting back. I wouldn't do it for some veteran win-now guy, but a young guy who could be here for a number of years as a rotation player, sure. Why not.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Regardless of where it falls you could target an older player with a high floor/safe player with the intention of it being a bench player. I have no idea of that existing in this draft and/or if that would come as a needed dynamic to the players already on the roster.

jcmoon and Corrosion like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-tra...cks-clippers-jazz-rockets-hawks-nets-wizards/

Despite Brooklyn’s recent slide, which has put the Nets on the bubble of the final Play-In Tournament spot with the Hawks, the Nets have continued to tell teams Mikal Bridges is not available, league sources told HoopsHype.

Recently, the Houston Rockets were among the teams to register trade interest in Bridges, league sources told HoopsHype. Houston was prepared to send back several of Brooklyn’s unused remaining draft picks from the James Harden trade, but talks never got to that stage because the Nets declined to entertain anything for Bridges when Houston inquired.

sirjesse likes this.