1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Price's Father dies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by moestavern19, Jul 11, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

According to reports Denny Price died playing basketball with His sons Brent and Mark http://espn.go.com/nba/news/1999/0804/39601.html

Prices' father dies playing pickup hoops with sons
    ENID, Okla. -- Oklahoma Storm co-coach Denny Price, the father of former NBA star Mark Price and the Vancouver Grizzlies' Brent Price, died Friday of a heart attack after becoming ill during a pickup game with his sons at a YMCA.

Price, 62, was athletics director for Phillips University for 12 years, coaching the men's basketball team for seven years and the women's team for more than two years. He was an assistant at Oklahoma and with the Phoenix Suns.

He joined the United States Basketball League Storm earlier this season as associate coach and was named co-coach after the Ron Ekker quit a day before the team was to open play in April.

Price watched his sons, Brent and Mark, play one series before deciding to join them. He dished a pass to Mark Price for a 3-pointer and later to Brent Price for a jump shot, witnesses said.

"He couldn't get his breath," said Ken Rapp, executive director of the Enid Family YMCA. "He told me wait a minute, and he fell on my shoulder."

Rapp performed CPR until paramedics arrived. Price was pronouced dead at 1:57 p.m. at Integris Bass Baptist Health Center in Enid.

Price suffered a heart attack in the late 1980s while coaching at Phillips University but came back to coach later that season after undergoing bypass surgery.

Mark Price played college basketball for Georgia Tech and spent nine of his 12 seasons in the NBA with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Brent Price played at Oklahoma and is with the Grizzlies.

The funeral will be held Monday at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Enid at 2 p.m., with burial at Memorial Park Cemetery, said the Rev. Don Tines, the staff minister at Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

A sad day indeed. I will pray for his family.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

3. alaskansnowman

well that sux. You're playing a game with your bro and your dad, and then your dad dies...

My prayers go out to Brent and Mark.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Didn't this happen like a couple of weeks ago? Maybe it was last week... I dunno... man, I'm getting old, but I thought I read about this a while back.

Carry on...

------------------
    Just shut up and post