1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

There are still prosecutions in -process. If perps show this footage, argue they had no reasonable expectation that their acts were unlawful, and are acquitted, then I'll applaud you. But what I expect will happen is that convictions will continue apace.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Member

the sad reality from one of the defense attorneys for J6ers.

DC jurors are as mindlessly brainwashed as the college kids you see chanting for Hamas.

My approach to the trials, since there is no way to avoid them, is to look for the "least bad outcome" and then chart a path towards that. The issue with the jurors is they accept uncritically -- for the most part -- whatever the Govt says. A defendant, there alone, lingers just outside the doors for 11 minutes watching -- doing nothing else -- and then walks around inside doing nothing before leaving was still someone who "intended to obstruct Congress" because of what he wrote on social media weeks earlier.

Not a whiff of urgency in his manner while standing outside, and when he goes inside he does nothing from which you might discern an "intent" to obstruct the proceedings.

So what? Jurors don't care. Govt said he was and that's good enough for them.

There is no "defending" to a jury when it shows that kind of lack of intellectual curiosity about the evidence. If jurors don't care at all about hearing or considering alternative views of the evidence, it doesn't matter how much other evidence you can put in the case.

That's why, in the end, these videos might educate the public -- at least those for whom this is new -- but the existence of these videos doesn't change the calculus in the courtroom.

The DC Jurors DO NOT CARE.

3. jo mama

jo mama Member

the trump insurrectionists have been having their day in court. the fact is that they committed crimes and are being held accountable for it (not enough, imo). meanwhile, the person who incited them remains free.

law enforcement has already explained why the full tapes cant be released and you know it. youre just upset that they are trying to keep your insurrection buddies from gaining intel that will help them next time.

youre a terrorist supporter.

Invisible Fan, ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Once again I’m wondering where was this concern about due process and criminal Justice when applied to things like mandatory sentencing and other problems in our Justice system?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

senator lee continues to argue in support of the insurrection... and congresswoman Cheney continues to embarrass him...

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

In my experience, that's the reality of jurors, in general. If our court system is failing J6 defendants, it's probably been failing everyone for the last 250 years.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Propaganda and lies repeat, repeat, repeat. That's what Truth Social is. Trump just spurts out lies over and over and over. Spin the truth, spin the truth.....repeat. It's working for the orange sociopath when guys like Commodore are so hellbent defending that lying pig and criminal.

147 Republicans voted on Jan. 6, 2021, to subvert the 2020 election. The MAGA cult spits on Democracy and is all in on putting Trump in power, and shredding Democracy as we know it.

Trump's Agenda:

1. Make Biden look weak leading up to the election.
    2. Repay Putin for his many years of help.
    3. Punish Zelensky for refusing Trump’s pressure to dig up dirt on the Bidens in 2019.

Trump has destroyed the Republican Party and replaced it with a “Putin Wing” of politicians. Like Putin, Trump would love to become an Autocrat/Dictator who will threaten and remove or imprison anyone who isn't a Trump loyalist. That's not my vision of making America Great, in any way shape or form.

#8927 deb4rockets, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Mandatory sentencing was almost universally pursued by Democrats for the purpose of fair outcomes. Originally, most sentencing was discretionary. There was nearly unlimited leeway for judges to impose a huge range of penalties for any crime. People didn't like that some people were serving much more time for doing the same crime as other people, so the push was to have prescribed sentences (or very small ranges) for each crime. In California, which I am most familiar with, every felony used to be some number to life and the parole board would determine when you got out of prison. Then the determinate sentencing law was passed and almost all felony sentences became a triad with options for a mitigated sentence, a middle sentence, or an aggravated sentence. 2nd degree robbery, for example, carries a term of 2, 3, or 5 years in state prison.

Now the same groups that were pushing for mandatory sentences want to give judges greater discretion. It is all cyclical. The real issue is there are people that want crime punished more, there are people that want crime punished less (or not at all), there are people that want everyone punished according to the same rules, whatever those rules are, and there are people that want certain criminals punished more and others punished less depending on certain characteristics of the criminals.

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Another dishonest nutcase supporting the insurrection...

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It's funny, because the J6 tapes haven't changed anything. There is nothing exonerating in the released footage that I've seen so far.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

There won't be, which is why johnson and the magas are dripping out the tapes so they can control the narrative and convince magas that it exonerates the insurrectionists.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Yet they all pleaded the 5th over and over under oath.

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

While there were many Democrats who supported mandatory sentencing there were many Republicans who did. The feeling for there was that many on the Right felt that soft hearted judges were allowing offenders to get off lightly. Even now tougher enforcement, even when it goes against due process is a staple of Republican rhetoric. Just last week DeSantis said we should shoot people carrying fentanyl.

Yet when it comes to January 6 then they sound like they are reading ACLU white papers.

FranchiseBlade, Andre0087 and ROCKSS like this.
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I applaud Liz and the folks who stand up to the extreme maga, I may not agree with her, but she stands up for what's right. I am afraid over time her kind will leave government because these fools are so intent on destroying democracy and decency..................I hope they stay in the fight because you can't advance change from the outside. Romney, Liz and Adam were 3 folks who stood up for the country over party and now there all on their way out. the maga gop doesn't want to advance America, they just want to own the libs and make an ass out of themselves in the process........they dont want to govern, they want clicks and then grift

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

All these damn conspiracy theories turning out to be true.....

[​IMG]

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

[​IMG]

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, yes, the "My friends told me to jump off of a bridge, so I did it" defense. A classic jet-out-of-jail free card.

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

So the FBI agent was not inciting an insurrection? Everyone was acting independently and on their own will...

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

We already know who incited the insurrection... don't know why you so hate law enforcement to try to shift the blame to them...

https://www.news24.com/news24/world...-on-ballot-but-says-he-incited-riots-20231118

https://tennesseelookout.com/2022/1...-incited-insurrection-demands-accountability/

https://www.justsecurity.org/74335/fight-for-trump-video-evidence-of-incitement-at-the-capitol/

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

A vast criminal conspiracy at work since the inception of our glorious nation!?!?

Then you destroy the System, aka The Beast and the DEEP STATE in order to cleanse these evil jurors!!!

Save America!