1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Jennings Disses Rubio "All Hype"

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yobod, Jun 13, 2009.

1. yobod

yobod Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/scott_howard-cooper/06/12/jennings.rubio/index.html

[​IMG]

SACRAMENTO -- Highly touted draft prospect Brandon Jennings called Spanish sensation and potential No. 2 pick Ricky Rubio overhyped and not even the top point guard in the draft.

"Well, put it like this: If he was in a workout with me [and fellow point-guard prospects] Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, Tywon Lawson, Stephen Curry, he wouldn't probably be at the top," Jennings said Friday.

Jennings made his comments after a workout for the Sacramento Kings that also included Syracuse's Flynn and UCLA's Holiday.

When asked if he thought Rubio, who has received great attention but has not worked out for NBA teams, is all hype, he said without hesitation, "Yes. Because he played in the Olympics, he's been playing pro ball since he was like 14. So there it is right there. ... I can't wait to play him, though, in summer league. I'm just letting you know that now. I can't wait.

"Yeah, I think I'm a better player than he is. I just shoot the ball better than he can. The only thing I've seen him do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that. I think the dude is just all hype. I can't even front. I'm just going to be real with you guys."

Jennings, a likely top 10 pick who bypassed the NCAA to play professionally in Rome, faced Rubio once last season in Spain. When asked how the matchup went, Jennings said, "Well, when I played him, he had zero points, two assists and two turnovers. So you tell me how that went." In fact, according to the Euroleague's official Web site, Rubio went scoreless with three assists and three turnovers in nine minutes in the early stages of his return from a wrist injury. Jennings finished with 12 points and two assists in 23 minutes. Rubio and DKV Joventut beat Jennings and Lottomatica Roma 97-93.

2. yobod

yobod Member

Jennings seems pretty immature not that I expected all that much from a guy with a 400 SAT score, He will probably get his ass handed to him in the NBA by any elite PG just to remind him that just because he thinks hes better than Rubio that doesn't mean much when Paul, Williams, Parker, Rose, Billups or Harris. I would take Rubio's court vision and leadership over Jennings athleticism any day of the week.

Jennings Scouting Report:
    Has struggled playing in the half court because his jumpshot has been inconsistent, which allows defenders to play off him and clog the lanes … Does not take care of the ball, but is rather very careless with it, trying to make the flashy play rather than the simple and correct one … Needs to learn to control the tempo, to slow down and change gears; he goes at one speed (full throttle) at all times which leads to a high turnover rate and it makes him very predictable and easy to defend

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Lol @ Jennings who also dissed Jrue and Flynn and Curry. He said he was the only real PG of the draft.

However, just so you know, immaturity has nothing to do with SAT scores lol

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Young blood has a big mouth. I agree with him about Rubio but he should have kept it on the down low. Rubio has too many holes in his game to be taken with the 2nd pick, he's a playmaker for sure but a questionable shooter and average athlete. With all his pro experience to date, is his shot really going to get better and he isn't ever going to get any faster or jump any higher.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jennings should keep his mouth shut and let his game do the talking. The guy will look like a fool if he flames out in the NBA and if he's wrong about Rubio.

That said, I'm not sold on Rubio AT ALL. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't amount to much.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

r****ded-ass kid.

Who knows anything at this point, but if Rubio really did return from a wrist injury at the time they played, then it just gives me more reason to discount this Jennings.

But you gotta talk trash and get yourself all puffed up, I suppose. Pop that jersey, Jennings! Pop it!

7. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

The best part is he had the nerve to bring up a game in which his team lost anyways.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

From the games I've seen (several Euro league and Olympics) Rubio is going to be a solid PG in the NBA for certain, not sure he'll star though.

His passing abililty is obvious but the faster hands and better athletes he faces in the NBA will force him into quite a few TO's, especially early in his career...question will be - how well can he adjust to that.

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

I cant ever remember one draft pick talking down another ahead of the draft. Its pretty low really, even if he is young, he should have more sense than that.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Interesting cause i thought brandon jennings was all hype too. Idiot!

11. BobSura

BobSura Member

patrick mills seems could be had, should we try to snag him, seems like a great player.

12. yobod

yobod Member

LOL I noticed that too. Rubio's team won despite his lowers stats. That is whats most important.

13. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Just can't will till Brandon Jennings get his ass handed to him by Ricky or by some legit D-Leaguer.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i'm seriously befuddled by the entire forum collectively masturbating to "highlights" of this slow footed stick doing the same moves any good playground ballhandler can pull off.

comforting to know i'm not alone on this.

#14 thacabbage, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  15. Egghead

Egghead Member

400 on the SAT???? wow, are you serious??

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

thats BS- if all you did was walk in and write your name and leave, you would get a 600. I dont know if yobod was exaggerating or not. that being said- the jennings scouting report is all that was wrong in the NBA immediately after MJ left and everyone was looking for the 'next MJ.' If its a legit scouting report, then i wouldn't want to go near the kid.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree, when I watched the Olympics i'm like what. that dude is slow. but its not just the board hyping him up.

18. yobod

yobod Member

The minimum SAT score for NCAA is a 800 and a GPA of 2.0. It was big news last year whether or not he was going to Arizona. He had told Arizona that if he did make the qualifying SAT score he would go there. There's a reason he went on to be the first player ever to skip college and go overseas after the NBA age requirement was implemented.

Just google "Brandon Jennings SAT" and you'll see a ton of results.
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/152827.page

19. yobod

yobod Member

You mean when he played against Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Jason Kidd at age 17 and kept Spain into it until the final minutes of the championship game?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T5mpST596qU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T5mpST596qU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

-1:05
    -1:20
    -2:09
    -2:12
    -2:23
    -2:35
    -2:38
    -2:41
    -2:57
    -3:10
    -3:04

Are all incredible plays he had against Team USA

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Remember, V-Span "owned" Chris Paul in the 2006 World Games and that was proof he belonged in the NBA.