1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Jennings an Option in 2014?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 9, 2013.

1. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

he's not white

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

Rockets will never get him anyway as they will have to fight off a max offer from that genius, Brian Colangelo. Jennings has been earmarked as the next Toronto PG project once the raps get rid of current new PG project Lowry himself successor of Calderon, successor of Jack, successor of Bayless....

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL here's the real story. Jennings wants big money...Bucks won't give it to him, and no one else can pay him as much as Milwaukee because they can go over the cap to sign him since he's been there his whole career.

He sings the qualifying offer....then during that year, the Bucks have to trade him unless they want to lose him for nothing. He's praying a team likes him so much they'll pay him max money. That way he signs the extension for big money in a sign and trade. That way he still gets out of Milwaukee and gets the most amoutn of money possible. Just like Melo did with the Nuggets.

4. jocar

jocar Member

5. jeffyisme

jeffyisme Member

I thought teams can not trade a player who accepts qualifying offer without his consent? Plus, even if the player consents to the trade, his bird right will NOT be traded. That makes zero sense for other teams to make the trade if they are over the cap.

6. haydenfisher342

Lin > Jennings and Lin isnt shouting out that he wants Max money. No & NO!

If Asik is ok with sixth man min then get d12! and get all star PF. GG Championship

7. slickricky

slickricky Member

As much as I want us to get better quicker... I tend to lean in favor of this argument. Ever since Josh Smith has become a topic of choice I have found myself more interested in Hawks games. After watching these games and his decision making in the final seconds of tight games I am not convinced... As much as it would suck to wait another year I suggest we do.... while continuing to pursue guys like Kevin Love and LMA... this type of PF along side Asik and Parsons (who needs to get paid and paid by us) with and ever growing star in Harden and Lin at the point is what we need

Dream:

Asik
    Love (MAX)
    Parsons (Asik and Lin type deal)
    Harden (MAX)
    Lin

DMO
    TROB
    Beverly
    2nd pick from PHX (SG/SF)

8. parksn306

parksn306 Member

No thank you, he doesn't really bring anything we need. If we are looking to shore up our backcourt rotation, priority 1, 2 and 3 H A S to be finding a lock-down wing defender PERIOD. That is what we REALLY need, not more scoring.

9. dragonz

dragonz Member

fixed

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_HaBya2k2vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Member

Pass. He's not a good fit for the Rockets plus we need some size. Aaron Brooks has already hurt us a little.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Jennings is Aaron Brooks without the jumpshot and less speed. Sure you want that as your starting PG? lol

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lol Jennings. Your delusional if you think he is worth pursuing.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

According to Jennings and his agent, the Bucks never offered him an extension at all. I doubt that he would have turned down 4 years 40 mil

15. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

Brandon Jennings just had another good game in a win over GS. 31 points, 10 assists on 10-16 shooting.

For March he is averaging 20 ppg and 14.5 apg

16. Exel

Exel Member

Smart move by Jennings if he does this and plays semi-decently next season. With all the teams clearing cap space for the 2014 free agent draft class in hopes of snaring one of the elite free agent, one team that misses out will scramble and overpay him. Ala the Knicks with Stoudemire.

17. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Brandon Jennings would be perfect for this system and our team. His recent showcase of distributing when he has real shooters around him has really opend my eyes. Harden and Jennings would be unstoppable.

18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

I'm unsure of the consent rules, but I doubt in the qualifying offer lies a rule where a player can veto a team's trade.

Either way, what I'm saying is, Jennings signs the qualifying offer. In the middle of the year he tells the BUcks, I'm not coming back, you trade me or lose me for nothing. The BUcks cut their losses and look for takers.

Jennings wants this because he'll do a sign a trade, where he signs the big deal with the Bucks and then gets shipped to a team that wants him.

THis makes sense for a team over the cap because there's no way for them to get under, so they can't get him or any other free agents. Just like the Knicks when they were over the cap, they made all these stupid trades ie sign and trade for Eddy Curry, cause they thought he was solid and they never would've been under the cap to even go for him.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thats because he wants the max.

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

If he takes the qualifying offer, he can't be traded without his consent. A qualifying offer is a 1 yr contract. Any player on a 1 yr contract (excluding possible future team/player option years attached to that 1 yr contract) who will end up with Larry Bird or Early Bird Rights at the end of the contract (which is certainly the case with Jennings) cannot be traded without their consent. And if such a player is traded with his consent, he loses all his bird rights and becomes a Non-Bird Free agent.

Basically, they close the "extend and trade" loophole that Melo used to force his way from Denver. You can't tie an extension and a trade together into a single transaction.

Even in the case of Harden, Stern explicitly warned Morey and OKC that they may not discuss with Harden whether he is willing to sign an extension or not with the Rockets prior to the trade. So it was a trade between Rockets/Thunder, followed by a separate subsequent Extension negotiation between Harden/Rockets. An "Extend and Trade" discussion between Harden/Thunder/Rockets was prohibited in the guidance provided by the league office during the Harden trade discussions.

So you can do a trade followed by a separate extension like in the Harden case. But not if Harden had been on a 1 yr qualifying offer. Because if Harden had been on a 1 yr qualifying offer (like this hypothetical scenario with Jennings), he would lose all his bird rights in the trade, and not be eligible for a max bird right extension subsequent to the trade, assuming you could get his consent which is required for the trade in the first place.