1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Lidge

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TedRuxpin, Apr 11, 2003.

1. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

What do you guys think of Brad Lidge? I believe if he stay's healthy he is going to play a key part in our bullpen. With him and Dotel that is an excellent LR combo. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Astros let Wagner go next year, and have Lidge set up for Dotel.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to love Brad. He came in tonight and struck out the side in the 7th inning...one of those Ks involved Jim Edmonds. How can you not love a guy that strikes out Jim Edmonds?

What surprises me about Lidge is that he has pitched so well so quickly this season. Everyone knew he had electric stuff, but I thought he would struggle a bit to start out and wouldn't be given any really important innings. Props to Jimy for having the guts to throw a rookie like Lidge out there for some HUGE innings so far this season.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

Very live arm. He, Dotel and Wagner make it a 6 inning game for Houston.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If by the reference to 'LR' combo you mean that Lidge is left handed, he isn't. He is a right hander as well.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Our bullpen is pitching great so far. That was the big question mark of the team. Those guys are stepping up.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

I hope this doesn't turn into another Scott Elarton situation. Overwork a guy in the bullpen too long, and he eventually blows out his arm when he becomes a starter.

7. RIET

RIET Member

Lidge should never be a starter. This guy will never pitch 200 innings.

Working in the bullpen can blow your arm out too if used too often.

Working 1 inning every other game should be the modus operandi.

8. Two Sandwiches

He and Chen are looking like they're gonna step it up this season.

9. codell

codell Member

Lidge was a starter in the minor leagues until the organization turned him into a reliever. However, I believe he went back to starting at some point last year when he was in the minors.

I would not be suprised to see the Astros try him as a starter again. His stuff is nasty.

However, I can also easily see him stepping into Dotel's role if we end up trading Wagner in the off season.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

If anything, Chen looks like he will be unemployed by midseason.

In 2 of his 3 outings, he has given up 2 runs.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Guys who are slated as major league starters are almost always starters in the minors so that they can get more consistant work in game situations. That would also be the reason why he was moved back to being a starter in order to make up for lost time.

If I'm not mistaken, the types of pitches he throws make him much more likely to be a good reliever than a starter, with the "+" fastball and slider, complimented by an only average change. Typically, guys who have that compliment of pitches get killed the third or fourth time through the order (see Ocatvio Dotel).

12. studogg

studogg Member

on the issue of Lidge being a starter:

the astros would love for him to become one at some point, but so far with his injury riddled past, they would rather him come from the bullpen. This is the first time in a while that he has been healthy. Later in the season if some starters aren't cutting it, I think they will first look to Munro, and as a last option, restort to Lidge. If he has a wonderful, injury free season from the bullpen, look for the Astro's to pencil him in as a starter for next year.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

We need him in the pen.