1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Lidge

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have a history of being able to build closers and not wanting to pay closers. This may be more Attila's work than Pupura's. The Astros have two capable guys to step into the closer role in Qualls and Wheeler. Nieve has also been solid.

This made me think the Astros were going to try to trade him. Then I read this blurb from www.astros.com a while back:

"It'll either be a cutter or splitty, depending on who it is," Lidge said. "I don't think I'll be throwing them a ton this year by any means, but we're looking for an extra pitch, especially to lefties. I like them both. I'll definitely be using them some this year."

This would imply the Astros want to keep him, but turn him into a three pitch closer. Over the last three years, Lidge's work against lefties hasn't been as good as against righties, but lefties still do worse againt Lidge than Ausmus does against the league.

My question is have the Astros decided to keep an expensive closer long-term and want the most bang for their buck or is Lidge being developed into a starter for the Post-Clemens era?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They paid Billy Wagner lots and lots of money. What other elite closer have they had that they didn't pay?

EDIT:

You're lumping Nieve in with Qualls and Wheeler? What is that based on? 2/3 of an inning in an 8-0 blowout?

#2 bobrek, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did not mean to lump Nieve with Qualls and Wheeler, but to suggest he could be valuable in the seventh inning role.

The Astros traded an All-Star for a great propect and two other guys. Money seemed to be the dominant factor along with having a standby in Dotel. I was also counting Dotel. We did get good value for one year for Dotel so I probably shouldn't have been including him in my thoughts.

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Moving Lidge into a starters role is intriguing. I like the idea.

FWIW, I heard on the radio Qualls future may be as a starter.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Random, didn't wanna create a new thread just for the guy. Dan Miceli is up to his old tricks again.. blew it for the Rays last night, heh

6. Nick

Nick Member

If money was the primary issue, they would have never signed Billy Wagner to the original contract extension in 2001 that paid him the $10-12 million per year. HELL, they signed him to this extension after the season that he had ELBOW SURGERY... making it seem even more of a ridiculous contract.

When the second contract negotiations came around... everybody knew that Wagner wasn't worth $11 million still, except for Wagner (and the big market teams that don't develop pitchers). Plus, we had Dotel AND Lidge rearing to go. Also, I'm still waiting for Wagner to be the "missing link" in Philadelphia... oh yea, he wasn't (because guys who pitch only one inning, and get paid more than 95% of the team, aren't completely worth it).

Qualls and Wheeler are nowhere near the backup option that Dotel and Lidge were. Also, I truly believe they'll resign Lidge to a multi-year deal once his arbitration years are up.

7. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind, though, that they paid Wagner huge amounts for 2 of the 3 years of his contract. He got traded when he mouthed off about how bad the franchise was.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

trade him while people still think hes good.
    too bad the astros didnt get tejada. it was soooo close

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Lidge is the man. If the Astros trade him I will be very pissed off.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

i can't wait until Lidge finishes the season again with around 40 saves....and the astros find themselves playoff-bound once again.

11. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

[​IMG]

I want Lidge to do well. He was awesome, before "that one game."

12. Shaji

Shaji Member

i cant say i agree

wasnt lidge a starter in the minors? he wasnt nearly as good a starter as he is a reliever, and he was really injury-prone throwing all those pitches...as the closer hes damn near unhittable, and im not sure he has much more of a repertoire to be effective as a starter...the only starter i can think of who only throws two pitches is the big unit...besides why would you want him to move him out a role hes embraced so thoroughly and effectively?

qualls was a starter in the minors, but again it seems like his futures in the bullpen also, because hes been REAL solid in that role at the outset of his career

i DID hear about maybe wheeler moving into the rotation though...

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

even for tejada??? i dont think you would be pissed

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I would have trade Lidge, Lane and Backe (or Everett) for Tejada.

Would a line up of Biggio, Taveras, Berkman, Tejada, Ensberg, Wilson look awesome.

Back to reality.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Hell yes. I would.

Pitching > Offense.

Don't ever forget it.

And don't forget why we have been successful these last two years.

Seems like alot of you want us to turn into the Chicago Cubs. Weaken our bullpen or starting rotation for a little extra pop? Sure! Why not?

#15 Aceshigh7, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  16. kevwun

kevwun Member

Lidge used to have 3 pitches, the one missing being an absolutely filthy curve ball. He was going to be starter when the Astros drafted him coming out of Notre Dame and he most likely would have been a really good one. The only problem was his curve was as hard on him right arm as it was opposing batters. After reoccuring arm problems, Lidge stopped throwing the curve and was moved to the bullpen. The rest is history.

17. Miguel

Miguel Member

:eek:

Some of you guys are amazing.

Lidge straight up for Tejada? No!

Lidge, Lane and Backe (or Everett) for Tejada? HELL NO!

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Lidge for Tejada straight up and there are fans who think that would be a bad deal for the Astros? :confused:

Baltimore would have to be smoking crack. Lidge, Lane and Backe wouldn't even get that deal done because of Backe's injury.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

agreed. for those that wouldnt do that trade. y'all have never seen tejada play. which is pretty amazing cuz he's on the all star team every year. hitting it out of minute maid in the hr derby. was a beast on the A's. i realize he fell off last year AND ONLY HIT .304 AVG ,.864 OPS 26 HR AND 98 RBI in 162 games FOR A HORRIBLE BALTIMORE TEAM

you dont know your MLB if you wouldnt do that trade!

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

too bad that was almost reality :(

i dont know why you wouldnt take him
    [​IMG]