1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Martinez vs. Chavez JR. Sept. 15th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jamisonrocket, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32458&more=1

(as always with all boxing even if Arum [promoter] says it, it's speculation until the contract is agree upon)

This is the first time in a long time that a fighter may have me nervous of someone dethroning Martinez. I think Martinez will win by decision on this card but I don't think it will be by a land slide. I haven't seen any P4P rankings that list Chavez Jr. even in the top ten but I for one think that he has a chance. I wanted see what you think, will Martinez win, will it be close, will Jr. start walking the path of his father? It also looks like this fight will be Sept. 15th in Vegas , the same day as Ortiz vs Alvarez.... it's going to be interested to see which Mexican fighter will win the war of ratings (assuming they don't combine the cards).

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Well they definitely aren't going to be combining a damn thing because Arum and GBP do not get along or do business together. My guess is one of these 2 companies will end up switching their date. If they get a small ass ring like the one Chavez fought in last night, it will definitely be to the advantage of Chavez. Also neither of those fights are worth $50.

I don't see Martinez winning easily either, he has become easier and easier to hit lately, and I'm assuming it's because his legs aren't 100%, but then again at that age, whose legs are? I think Martinez's jab and straight legs are going to be good enough to keep Chavez at a distance to win the majority of rounds. As long as there isn't any cuts or anything crazy happening, then I see Martinez winning by UD.

3. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I didn't even think about is be GBP vs TR, good point . I agree that neither are worth paying $50 PPV for but the upper decks for these fights will be probably priced at $50 and I'll pay that. Both would be great to see live because both are going to be competitive no matter who you think the winner will be. The one thing I think may be different is that Martinez's left hook and accuracy is going to be what keeps Chavez jr. back. Is see Chavez getting frustrated getting clipped that with Paul Williams Stunner ( not meaning to talk bad about that man at all). I think he [Chavez] has a better chin but immaturity is going to be his down fall. His first loss but far from being washed up.

4. bladeage

I just hope it doesn't happen in Texas. They protect and cater to Chavez way too much. The whole glove weighing issue, and his refusal to have his urine tested before and after the fight makes him look suspicious. But what is worse is that the commission didn't even care, nor did they push the issue.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Chavez vs Martinez > Canelo vs Ortiz. But this is so stupid! Why put two marquee fights head to head, let alone in the same city? Boxing fans lose on this one. Its funny, these two companies will chop their own hands just to spite one another. If i was GBP, id put their fight on regular Shotime just to eat into their PPV buys. It belongs on premium cable anyways.

As for who wins, i think its a toss up. Martinez better have his dancing shoes on and use them because Chavez will stalk him and chop him down. I think his style of fighting with his hands down will be his downfall in this fight. Should be an interesting matchup as I dont think Martinez walks through Chavez like many have said.

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

If Martinez isnt bribed by Bob Arum and Top Stank to throw the fight, i got Martinez by KO, if its close and goes to a decision Sergio Martinez( considering his age) might get ROBBED

Its obvious whats gonna happen

7. bladeage

It would definitely be awesome if they made it regular Showtime. That'll stick it to Arum!! I think sticking and moving would work for Martinez, until the later rounds once fatigue for both fighters starts to set it. Then Martinez will start picking his punches better, and will break Chavez down. Yes Chavez has power and is an accurate body puncher, but he can't box worth ****. As long as Martinez stays fighting his own fight and controls the pace, I don't see Chavez winning this unless it's a SD robbery.

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Sergio Martinez will win by TKO. But I will purchase the Canelo vs Ortiz bout.

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I am more interested in this fight as well. Chavez seems like a fabricated star. Even more so than other boxers. Besides he's 26, has he even had a good fight? I didnt see the last one.

10. bladeage

He definitely impressed me against Andy Lee. The body shots took a lot out of Lee, not to mention that small ass ring they were in. Andy is the superior boxer, but he started fighting a Chavez type of fight, and that ultimately did him in. Good fight though, very entertaining.

11. Prince

Prince Member

the Roach effect...

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sergio is going to beat the **** out of Chavez Jr.

13. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Andy Lee has always been OVERRATED

hyped up by HBO since the beginning as a poor mans Thomas Hearns. SMH

If Jr. people think Lee is warmup to a monster like Sergio "Maravilla' Martinez they are fooling themsleves

Heck Pavlik would have been 100x more respectable an opponent at this stage of his career than Andy Lee.

Andy Lee punches like a girl