1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bow wow wow. Ruff. Ruff. Anyone have a dog?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Sep 20, 2001.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

I just recently got a Miniature Pinscher pup.

It's 3 months old, and it started getting these bumps on his skin. Three on his back, and some smaller ones on his face and neck.
    No discoloration, it doesn't hurt him, he doesn't scratch it. My vet suggested that they might be from allergies, so I've given him benedryl, but that only results in diarrhea. Cha cha cha. Besides, it's hard sticking a plastic tube down the mouth of a puppy for more than 1 second. Anyway, have any of you fellow dog owners experienced this before? I'm taking him back to the vet next week for further review. Plus I want to ask him about the diarrhea. Plus, I can't housebreak this dog for the life of me!

Anyway, I love this dog, and it really saddens me that I have to keep it blocked off in the kitchen. I thought the bumps might be from the 409 I spray on the carpet when I clean up his messings.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Never seen the bumps problem. I would go to the pet store and buy some true liquid cleaner/treatment made specifically for cleaning up your dog's messes. I don't think 409 was made for that and probably won't degrade the poop and/or urine properly.

If a dog's mess is not cleaned properly in the home, then the scent will remain and the dog will continue to use that spot or think he can continue to do his business inside. 3 months is about the age the dog bladder develops, the dog should be able to hold it longer, and your dog should be close to being house trained....if not already. May take longer depending upon how much attention your paying to the situation.

I think crate training would have helped as dog's won't do their business in their little homes when your away unless they absolutely have to go because you haven't been home for a while. I tried the kitchen lockdown before the crate and boy was that messy. They tore that place up and did their business everywhere. They even bit into the kitchen cabinets. I had to crate them because they were driving me insane. That was the best thing I could have done. However, your dog is a little old to start crate training. That whole experience(before the crates) was frustrating as hell. Be sure to take your dog outside frequently, use a nice firm toned verbal command such as "go do it! go do it!" while the dog is going to the bathroom. Then, give praise to your dog after it is done. Continued enforcement of these actions will help. Then, you can take your dog out, give the command, and your dog will do his business(once learned).

This worked well for me. I never have had problems with my dogs doing their business inside since a very young age except for when one of my dogs developed a urinary tract infection. If your dog forges in his mind that his business is to be done inside, then you might try those scented puppy pads(in the kitchen lockdown scenario) although my dogs would do their business on those and rip them to shreds afterwards :(.

Good luck....hope your dog's bumps go away. Work on that house training...nobody wants to live in a doggie outhouse :).

Surf

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Here's my new puppy. She'll be 11 weeks old this Sunday, so she's about the same age. She's pretty much house trained, but I crate trained her...which is what the breeder suggested. As she grows older and more aware of what is "hers" and what isn't, she "earns" more freedom throughout the house. She's the most hyper puppy of a hyper line in a relatively high strung breed, so we have our hands full. Still, she's so damn smart, and she has so much personality, that we just can't help but love her to death. (boy is she spoiled!)

Anyway, best of luck. It might be a little tough at first (because of your dog's age), but I'd start crate training your dog today. Let him/her earn more freedom. In the long run, it will be best for your whole family...especially the newest member.

[​IMG]

(By the way...does the above link work for anyone...or is it just me. I have pictures posted at yahoo, but they append the extension with a series of letters....I assume for permissions. Anyway, I couldn't figure out a way to post the picture as it is...but I can link to it)

#3 Pole, Sep 20, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2001
  4. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Three months is too young for a pup to be fully housebroken. Make sure you take your pup outside to the area he is supposed to go and stay there with.... My vet suggested praise and a cheerio(outside, on the spot) after "going" outside for positive reinforcement. I used that method when my dog was a youngster.
    You should also be able to give your pooch a pill w/o a tube. Just place the pill in the back of mouth and gently rub throat in a swallowing motion.
    Also, stay on top of the diahrrea.....be careful of dehydration in a young pup.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will try the crate today. I bought a crate a week ago, but it was too big. So it messed at one end and stayed at the other.

Anyway, with eating and drinking. You figure he'd eat and drink out of necessity, but he doesn't. He only eats if I take the kibbles and feed it to him. Which, I don't want him to get used to. Same with water. I don't know. I really need to take him to a trainer, because I don't want to develop bad habits for him, and get mad at him later.

I'm going to go get a divider for my crate today. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Thanks again.

6. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

One of my dogs started to get these dry sores sort of...
    apperantly some sort of fungus amoung us.
    Anyhow, I used TEA TREE OIL, its supposedly the cure all, and it worked! Hallelueah! Praise everything!
    Try it, it might work for you. They sell it in small bottles at your local Walgreens or Tree huggin' Natural Foods store (;)) and it stinks kinda worse than vicks, but it'll work!

7. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Diahrea and not much interest in eating or drinking? I'd be more concerned about that than anything else. That could become very dangerous.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

DON'T use 409. There is this stuff called Spot Shot....it's in a blue can with an orange lid. GREAT stuff, get's any stain out in seconds. Then spray a bit of Febreze after to remove the odor.

I have a 16 week old Chihuahua named Nikki, black and tan. She had some bumps on one of her paws and her chest area. Then I also noticed very small amounts of hair loss on her back.

I took her to her vet, and he did some scrape test to make sure it wasn't mites. It wasn't, and he said it was a staff infection that puppies are known to acquire. He put her on an antibiotic for ten days and also had some spray too to apply to the affected areas.

It cleared up in about 5 days.

Mine is totally housetrained while we are home. When I have her gated up in the master bathroom while away during the day, she occasionally has an accident.

I did not crate train the dog. I simply spent time taking her out often......she usually would go. She became accustomed to going outside. I was able to spend a lot of time with her though, during the training process. If you are gone a lot during the day, it's difficult to house train a dog. Anyway, if she had an accident in the house (she only had 4 total) I would pick her up, let her smell it, then use a firm voice to say NO......then I would slap the ground also. Then I would bring her outside and put her down to help her understand that she needed to be outside to go.

Another tactic I used to train her was giving her a treat each time she went outside.

Anyway, after 3 weeks, she was trained, and now she goes to the door and sits on the mat when she needs to go.

I had it easy this time. I have had other dogs that were much more difficult.

Also, there are obedience schools that will house train your dog for you if you do not have time. Keep in mind it's rather expensive. I have a friend who had his Chihuahua trained by a school....and they have a bell hung by the back door, and the dog has been trained to hit the bell with his paw to notify them he has to go out. Impressive really.

#9 HOOP-T, Sep 21, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2001
  10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hey Space, nice pooch.....big, but nice.

My 4 pound Chihuahua would kill Marley though. She'd get stuck in his throat. ;)

11. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

He's a lover, not a fighter!

He's 1 1/2 years old and still can't control his excitement. He loves to play but just doesn't understand how big and strong he is.

He loves other dogs. He never barks at people or animals. He doesn't bite. He just wants to play with them. Unfortuantely, a 120 pound puppy jumping on you is not always fun.

Rottweilers reach adulthood somewhere around 2 years. I look forward to the day when he becomes a lazy bum like me!

12. coma

coma Contributing Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

SpaceCity:

Holy cow!! What a huge dog!!! My pup has the same colors as Marley, pretty much looks like Marley. Slightly different jaw, ears a little perkier, and about 10x smaller. Good lookin' dog!!

HOOP-T:

I will try the treat technique. I looked into professional training, and it'd cost me $900!!! Although, the thought of him ringing a bell when he needs to go is mighty tempting. I have to find a way to do it myself. I work in the mornings, so it's hard for me to spend a lot of time except on weekends to train him.

mr_oily:

That sounds EXACTLY what my dog is getting. It's little bumps at first, with no discoloration. Then it starts drying really badly. Then now, there's signs of peeling. I will try the Tree Top oil. If it works, I owe you a beer if I ever see you at the Compaq Center!

JuanValdez / Not Chaney:

Yes, I'm very concerned about the diarrhea and dehydration. It started when I fed it a few small pieces of steak. About 4 pieces. I didn't know that was enough to upset his stomach. It'll be exactly one week this Sunday evening that it started getting loose stool. I just don't understand. Survival instincts should force him to drink and eat. Yet, he never does unless I sit there and feed him. But I don't know how to make it drink water.

Pole:

I can't see your pictures. I like your idea about letting him "earn" his freedom. I just need to step up and put it in a crate small enough to let it stretch, but not big enough for it to mess on one end, and chill in the other. I'm just a sucker when it comes to him. I hear him in the crate and he starts to whimper and cry. So afet about an hr of crying, I just have to let it out into the kitchen. I just need to block it out.

Surfguy:

I bought this 409 that said on the front "For Pet stains." But I will buy that Spot Shot as HOOP-T suggested. You really think it's too old for me to begin crate training?