1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Book on Bush Twins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Jul 24, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

From accounts from the secret service

link

Underage drinking, disregarding "strong suggestions" from the U.S. Embassy, regular appearances in Vogue fashion spreads — the Bush twins made more than their fair share of national headlines during their eight years in the White House. And it looks like they're not done.

According to the New York Post, a new book by former Washington Post reporter Ronald Kessler details how Jenna and Barbara gave the Secret Service "fits" during Bush's presidency. From an excerpt in the Post:

"Jenna would purposely try to lose her protection by going through red lights or by jumping in her car without telling agents where she was going. As a result, in a total waste of manpower, the Secret Service kept her car under surveillance so agents could follow her."

And it wasn't just the twins who stirred up trouble for the Secret Service — Kessler also claims that Jenna's now-husband Henry Hager got so drunk at a 2005 party that agents had to take him to a Georgetown hospital.

But even months after their dad left office, the Secret Service is still on the twins' tails — and getting trouble for it. In March, Baltimore radio station WBAL and Investigativevoice.com reported that a Secret Service van was towed from in front of Jenna Bush Hager's home in South Baltimore for unpaid parking tickets. But why are the twins still under secret agent surveillance?

According to CBS, the adult children of former presidents lose Secret Service protection once dad leaves office. But The Reliable Source, a Washington Post blog, reported that before he left office, George W. Bush signed a presidential directive to "extend security protection for his twin daughters for an undisclosed period of time." (Former President Clinton did the same for Chelsea when he left office).

CBS also reports that by law, the Secret Service will provide protection for Bush for 10 years. U.S. News & World Report's Washington Whispers blog says that President Obama has quietly extended Secret Service protection for former Vice President Dick Cheney, perhaps because of "indications" of threats against him.

To be fair, time and age has mellowed the formerly troublesome twins; after college, Jenna taught at a Washington, D.C. charter school for a year and a half, leaving only for another teaching stint in Latin America. In 2007, she wrote a book about a single teen mother with HIV called "Ana's Story," later collaborating on a children's book with her mother. Last year, Jenna married longtime boyfriend Hager in a low-key wedding at her family's Texas ranch.

Twin Barbara, has maintained an even lower profile than her sister. Barbara currently lives in New York City, working for the non-profit public health group, Global Health Corps.

In January, the Bush twins gladly handed off the White House spotlight to the Obama girls, writing them a letter filled with advice and helpful hints, like "surround yourself with loyal friends" and "slide down the banister of the solarium."

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You know you are going to get flamed for coming into the Hangout with this. :eek:

3. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

This sounds stupid...oh noes they binge drank and sometimes didn't feel like being watched like a hawk all the time. I would hate being followed and tailed all the time too.

The b****ing about the "manhours wasted" just seems like they're trying to find something to complain about. I feel bad for the girls.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well i felt since its the daughters it should be in the hangout, i did a thorough internal exmination of my feelings on this subject

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's the no-so-Secret Service.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

not me. I would be hanging out with the secret service dudes. I think we would be spending much time at the gun range.

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I just realized it's been a long time since there has been as president that had a son that lived with them in the White House.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

sexist :)

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If they keep the politics out of it, this could be a good summer read.

Or a pretty funny movie.

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

This is great news for the careers of Tara Reid and Lohan.

11. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

there was a disney channel movie from several years ago which involved the presidents daughter and how she would try and ditch them all the time. i dont remember the name, maybe kam could help out?

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ My Date With The President's Daughter :cool: It was pretty funny.

[​IMG]

I can tell you that Kam's an exclusive fan of Vanessa H. And may not have watched this movie. :eek:

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Man, I wish I was wealthy enough to work for a non-profit health group or write a book about a kid with AIDS.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Not sure why but I laughed pretty hard at that one. Probably because I spent so much time actually trying (and wanting) to work for a major non-profit group.

I want gift-wrapped jobs too. :(

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really? teenagers and early twenty-somethings binge drinking and rebelling???? :confused:

sounds like a story that goes into unchartered territory.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

While I get the gist of what you are saying (sure its easy to do good things when you don't have to worry about nagging little things like rent and food), there are lots of people that do those kind of things while not being rich. Heck, there's lots of rich people that would never work for a non-profit or write children's books that might help kids cope with a terrible illness.

I guess my point is, you have to give some props to someone with all the fortune in the world that does these things, when they could just as easily be another Paris Hilton.

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

So they're a couple of wealthy spoiled *****.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Sounds more etertainin than those movies abou Presidential daughters that came out in like the same year.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I actually enjoyed that movie. It had the brother from Boy meets world in it.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think ego allows a lot of options. They could go work a regular job like a regular person, but their talent probably will put them pretty low on the power spectrum, which would be unbecoming women of their stature. They could start their own businesses, but if it failed, that would be embarassing too. They could simply not work, which ego would allow, but is existentially problematic. What's left is working for non-profits, being on the boards of philanthropic groups, or going into politics.

But, I don't bear them any ill-will. I'm glad they're trying to help people. I just find the existential plight of the idle rich to be interesting.