1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Bonzi trade was a bad decision.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ansfjs73, Mar 30, 2008.

1. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

I was all for the trade when it happened, but now think otherwise .

Brooks is a rookie, but aside from TMAC he is the only guy who can penetrate and create opportunities for others to score. Yes his is short, lost his confidence but since he is suppose to be a part of our future plans, Coach should have let him play and let him gain his confidence back. So far, Bobby Jackson has played ok, but when his shot is off, he brings nothing more as I have not seen creating scoring opportunities for others.
    I still think Brooks should be given a chance so that we can use him in the playoffs along with TMAC. To win in playoffs ( without YAO) , we need more than one guy who can penetrate and create shot for the others.

Trading Bonzi so that Landy can get some playing time is a wrong statement. Bonzi was the primary backup for the 2 guard and small forward position. On top of that, he was a legit scoring threat and spacing became better when he he posted ( with YAO out). Also after Yao, he was our only post threat which you really need in the playoffs.

2. ibm

ibm Member

it was made before yao went down and before landry got injured. it was a sound and logical decision.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Exactly how much preparation for the playoffs could AB get from seeing real minutes in the final 10 games? I'm not quite sure what the Bonzi trade has to do with your point about Brooks, or about the Rockets not having enough penetration. Was Bonzi taking people of the dribble when I wasn't looking or something?

4. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

quoted for truth, close thread.

it doesnt matter, without yao we're not winning the championship so we might as well just retool for next year and go full throttle next year.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Actually it's a good one without Yao. Do you really believe Bonzi could take Rocket deep into playoffs? The trade gives Rocket much more flexibility next season when Yao returns, and that is the time when Rockets could actually do serious damage.

6. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

FINANCIAL REASONS. NO MIKE JAMES CONTRACT. Close thread. I hate threads like these. One bad game and its like OMG OMG WE'RE ALL SCREWED. BONZI SAVE US.

ovverrated lazy ass player with on good playoff series. Rockets fans will be fickle.

7. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

its funny how these threads come whenever we lose a game and either jackson didnt do much or he did bad...everyone brought the bonzi tread thread back back when we played @ NO and lost with bonzi pouring 25...

i mean, seriously, its not like Bonzi would help you every single game. sure he might give us a 20-30 point game sometimes but that doesnt mean he wont mess up the other games....and when he does, there would be threads saying...o why dont we trade bonzi for someone else

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we didn't make bonzi trade at least brooks would be playing, and if you want to make a case we have no chance this year. I rather see what AB can do.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We HAD to get a backup PG. AB just wasn't cutting it. We also got to dump Mike James on them. If you subtract his revenge game against us and their blowout loss to Boston, Bonzi hasn't done much for the Hornets. Good riddance.

10. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

you'd rather have mike james languishing on the bench than Bobby Jackson's production? Sure he may not be a ball handler like Rafer, but he scores more than MJ ever did.

Brooks is also overrated. Even with his playing time, he hasn't delivered. He needs to go the D-League to develop. Every time I see Brooks clank a 3, I wince. Just because you won the contest in college doesnt giev you a right to launch them with abandon.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

First, as has already been brought up, the trade was before Yao went down. Jackson is a better fit on this team with Yao than without him.

I also LOVE the fact that so many people totally ignore the other side of the ball, especially for a team whose calling card is defense. Yeah, Bobby "brings nothing when his shot is off"... except for that bit about his defense being waaaaay better than Brooks'. :rolleyes:

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would not call jackson a good defender. At least Brooks can stay in front of his man.

13. GOAT

GOAT Member

had yao been hurt we would not have made this tade. saying that we really could not have gone anywhere in the playoffs with brooks getting so many minutes. brooks just wasn't ready in my opinion

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

This thread was a bad decision.

15. alaskansnowman

Ridiculous thread. Please read up before creating threads.

16. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

ding ding

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I hate dumb ass threads like these... Please do not post r****ded as posts like these again.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lol, best thread this week

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The trade made MORE sense after Yao went out. Now we have a great expiring contract for next year. This wasn't Morey's fault, it was Dawson's when he signed Kelvin Cato to that albatross contract. Juwan Howard and Mike James were just the collateral damage that resulted from that signing.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Money trade.

Bonzi would be good asset to the team right now, but would probably not be so good next year.

He is in decline.