1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boki: Contributor or Bust

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drew_Le, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

As we saw Boki come in versus the Lakers and provide a needed spark off the bench(dunkin on Malone and then swatting his old ass back on the other side of the floor:eek: ). This coming year, do you think he could possibly start and make an impact (considering mobley, francis, or god no Jackson would be moved), or will he be mired on the bench with the distinction as a European that cant play D or shoot. What he has shown is a lot of heart.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

He and Jackson will most likely split time at a 3 to 1 ratio.

Jackson isn't getting any younger, and Jimmy might even slide to the 2 quite a bit and let Boki onto the floor whenever he's not even on the bench.

Expect Boki to play more and more minutes as the season wears on next year (if he shows marked improvement)

3. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Member

Boki must work very hard on his jump shot this summer to get consistent minutes.

4. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

I think he will totally get more playing time next season. I think JVG now has confidents on him to score atleat 7pts a game. We all know he can shoot, he just needs to stop being so scare sometimes. He needs to play with more confidents.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I agree, but confidence can only come with PT.

Boki showed that he can be a spark off the bench, he plays decent defense and rebounds well. Once his shot starts falling, the sky is the limit for him.

I really want to see JVG use more of the bench, I know we didn't have much of one this season, but using the bench makes everything better-starters get more rest, players get to develop more.

6. codell

codell Member

Couldn't agree more.

His slashing, rebounding and open court play is all just a bonus. His defense and outside shooting are what we need most. If he can't give us that, then the rest is irrelevant because he will be doing more harm than good.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Slashing and cutting is his game, and that is what he will earn PT on.

I agree his Jumpshot needs work, but this team needs movement off the ball as much as it needs fewer turnovers.

Boki't talents fit, it has taken 2 years for our coaches to figure it out, but finally they are coming around.

DD

9. sums41

sums41 Member

I just hope he will be doing all that slashing and outside shooting here in houston, i really hope he doesnt get traded.

10. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

Only if he could run faster and jump higher.

but he does move great without the ball. Him and Yao should be on the floor more often together because they are use to passing while everyone else has only heard of it.

I think Boki could play a little four against some teams (mostly eastern conference pf's) Maybe a little back up 4 for some pt.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

He showed flashes, but he is no where near NBA ready as far as I'm concerned. Just ask his best friend Yao Ming.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm excited about the guy. He wasn't just someone we drafted because he was there.. I remember his name being targetted before the draft etc as someone we wanted..

I also remember he supposedlly showed amazing shooting.. so at least we know he can shoot well, but of course games is the hard part.. I think more playing time will improve his shot.. but improving his shot will increase playing time so it's a hard situation....

As far as his game.. I think the thing if i remember correctly they talked about with him is his slashing etc being so good.. so that seems like a skill you have to take advantage of and not waste

13. Pat

Pat Member

Funny how different people can see the same thing and come away with different interpertations. I just don't see what you all are pinning your Boki hopes on.

In that "showed us a spark" playof game 3, really all he did was make a three pointer and get knocked down. Admittedly it was a big three pointer, and admittedly he did get back up. But Scott Padgett has done essentially that several times duringthe season, and I don't see a bunch of Save Padgett posts.

The rest of the game, Boki got more minutes, and really didn't do much with them. He is a good finisher to the rim, but not a great one. His outside shooting is mediocre at best, he moves the ball, but I wouldn't call him a great passer and his defense, at best is not hurting us.

Where are you all getting this "he should be starting" "deserves more minutes" from?

I mean I hope he turns into the greatest player of all time, (well assuming he stays a Rocket - of course). But I saust haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he can crack a pro team rotation.

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

He's definitely different from Padget. First, he's much younger and you can see him having more potential. IMHO, he performs well in games despite his limited experience. He will be as good as Paul Gasol if he get some PT.

15. roxan1

roxan1 Member

While I think hoping boki turns into a gasol or peja are reaching a bit I do think he is a valuable piece, and one that should develop into our starting sf one day. The guy has the intangibles but does have much to work on. While he is a good slasher i cant remember how many times i watched the poor guy pull down an offensive board (here comes the bashing) only to have his shot blocked. He lacks being able to finish inside around the rim. Now the thing I was most impressed with was getting in Malones head! Now that is playoff basketball! I didnt see that from any other player in the whole series!

16. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

could'nt agree more with the agreement that you made to codell's agreement.

17. Bob

Bob Member

Boki needs to gain strength and work on defensive skills.

18. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I think this Post Season showed a lot of people that he has the tools but just needs to develop a bit more. He is very athletic and young and can learn a lot. The summer leagues will pay off if he can take advantage of them.

19. the futants

the futants Member

i have to agree with pat on this one. where in the hell do all these people see this potential in boki??? he has no shot (that he demonstrates with any consistency), can't dribble/drive, and can't play defense. the guy is a BUST. get over it. padgett has a way more consistent shot, hustles, and has confidence in his game. boki may lack confidence due to his lack of PT, but geez, he doesn't deserve PT. he was a mistake, period. cut the loss now and move on, please. my god, this offseason is going to be lllllllooooooooong and brutal...

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

Well Boki has never had consistant PT, while padgett has in his carreer. I dont know why you said he cant dribble/ drive when he got most of his poinst off taking it to the hoop, dunk on malone, kobe jumped at him and boki blew right past him. Foreign players take more time to develop and in bokis case it takes longer because the never gets PT on a consistant basis. If boki has the confidence to hit his open jumpers then I hope he gets playing time because at 6'9'', he is the perfect size for our small foward of the future. JJ isnt getting any younger and cant play as many minutes as he did this year or he will eventually break down. Boki can play defense and his defense is decent but not great, you cant ask him to guard kobe in his second year with only PT at the end of the year. He is also an excellent rebounder and will make up for yaos defecencies in rebounding. Lets face it boki is our future small foward because I dont see us acquiring one in trades or free agency and we dont have a first rounder until next year presumably if we dont trade it away.