1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bogans to Magic - DeShawn Stevenson available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by docgundy, Jul 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. docgundy

docgundy Member

2. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I thought Keith was restricted.

3. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

isnt he restricted? And is there anyway we can now get Ariza and or Stevenson??

4. Champ06

Champ06 Member

DeShawn Stevenson is now available

Magic signed Keith Bogans and halted negotiations with Stevenson. Anybody interested in 25 years old Deshawn Stevenson?

Magic stop chasing Stevenson, will sign former Magic player Bogans

The Orlando Magic, in their search to settle their shooting-guard quandary, said goodbye to DeShawn Stevenson and welcomed back Keith Bogans.

The Sentinel learned today that the Magic were finalizing a three-year contract with Bogans after halting negotiations with Stevenson.

Stevenson and the Magic were at an impasse over the length of a contract.

Stevenson, who averaged 11 points and started all 82 games for the Magic last season, wanted a four-year contract at least $4 million year.

The Magic refused to budge at three years, ending Stevenson's two-plus year stay in Orlando. Stevenson's agent, Rob Pelinka, told the Sentinel recently that Stevenson had at least two contract offers on the table that were better than the Magic's.

Stevenson, 25, had one year at $3 million left on his deal, but opted out of his contract this summer.

The Magic believe they are getting a similar 6-foot-5, defensive-minded player at half the price in Bogans, who they acquired in the second round in the 2003 draft from the Milwaukee Bucks.

Bogans, 25, averaged 6.8 points for the Magic in 2003-04. But the club traded him to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward Brandon Hunter before the start of the 2004 season.

Bogans and Stevenson were teammates, the Magic having acquired Stevenson for Gordon Giricek in February of 2004.

Bogans was traded by the Bobcats to the Houston Rockets after 39 games last season. He averaged 8.6 points and 3.5 rebounds last season for the Rockets.

5. kingkow

kingkow Member

Damn we seriously need bogans, that guy brings hustle and plays D.

I hope we can do a sign and trade deal for Ariza, that would be a good deal :D

6. docgundy

docgundy Member

The deal is rumored to be 3 years, 6 million or so. We'll see if we match.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Wow, our rail thin bench just got thinner.

Curious about the Stro+Gay move for Battier. Adds immediate help but deplets depth.
    Missed chance at James (although he obviously never wanted to be here).
    Appears Plan B was thin or non-existent and most FA's are gone.
    Keith Bogans is gone.

I still have faith that we can be good next season but I'm really wondering now how it will come together now.

8. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I just realized... any Rocket restricted free agent can be signed away from Houston so long as the signing team includes one thing: A trade kicker.

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

What next?????????? :mad:

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

How many Days do the Rockets have to match the offer. It used to 15 days but I think is lower now.

12. Ryan Bowen MVP

So are these trade kickers going to be a more common thing in the NBA? I didn't even know they existed until the MJ stuff came up.

13. dfwrox

But it seems from the report, this is more or less a done deal, Magic stopped talking to Stevenson after this signing.

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Haha, good point.

It's not like kicker wasn't in the CBA or something.

We actually need Bogans at this point.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If he's unrestricted, they don't have any days. Bogans can sign today and it's legal. I'm not 100% sure but IIRC the reason he's unrestricted is that they didn't make him a Qualifying Offer prior to June30.

#15 GATER, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  16. dfwrox

Clutch, instead MJ, is there any chance that you can interview CD? I am really eager to find out what is going on this offseason?

17. docgundy

docgundy Member

So did Orlando give him a trade kicker? Is this part of the new CBA?

18. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

So much for depth at SG this year. I really thought we were going to resign him as he gives us some height and good defensive intensity.

19. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I do remember seeing a report that Rockets made a qualifying offer to Bogans.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It was a joke.