1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: "Right now I have a coach"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 1, 2009.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

2. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Dont ponder this too long. I don't want the Bears to snatch him up. (Bill Cowher)

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

When I read this the first thing I thought of was that Bob will let this playout and not make a rash move right now. He will give Kubes a chance to make something out of the last 5 games then evalute at the end of the season with an open mind. He has the wallet for Cowher and don't think he will hesitate if Cowher wants the job BUT it also sounded like there might be some player movement in the offseason, maybe its time to open up the checkbook for higher profile players at impact positions...PLOT THICKENS :grin:

4. Major

Major Member

This explains it all. Hillboy is Bob McNair!

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Vote of Confidence=He will get fired.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

as much as I think McNair should be reaching out to Dungy and Cowher behind the scenes, this is the only thing to say publicly.

questioning your coach in the media will only turn off potential replacements, create unwarranted negativity within your team, and undermine your current coach.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Key words are right now.

I dont think 9 wins will be enough for Mcnair. That's why he mentioned 6 losses numerous times.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sounds to me like Kubiak is gone unless we win out.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

exactly...I think Kub will surprise but it'll be too little too late...he can only say "it's on me" for so long...

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Nothing in that article makes me think Kubiak will be here when the first week of January ends. Very nice to read that and have my fears of his keeping his job with 8-8 at least partially relieved.

Nice to see him call out the players, as well.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

9 wins is enough to save his job, provided the "coaching" aspect of the Texans looks good to finish the season.

12. ima_drummer2k

Not if 9 wins misses the playoffs.

McNair basically said it at the beginning of the season. It's playoffs or bust.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL then Gary is already fired.

I seriously doubt that will be the case.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

IMO:

10 wins - Coming back

9 wins - Coming back

8 wins - 50/50

7 wins - 50/50

6 wins - you're fired

5 wins - you're fired

15. ima_drummer2k

IMO:

10 wins - Coming back

9 wins - 50/50 (depending on playoffs or no playoffs)

8 wins - you're fired

7 wins - you're fired and McNair farts in your general direction

6 wins - won't get to that point because he will be fired if we lose 2 more games

5 wins - won't get to that point because he will be fired if we lose the next 2 in a row

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i suppose i could see him bringing kubiak back with 8 wins...but i think that's probably about a 60/40 shot he'd be fired.

anything less than 8 wins, and he's absolutely gone.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kubiak is only coming back if (somehow) we make the playoffs -- otherwise he is toast.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I wanted to go 60/40 on 7 wins, but this is Bob McNair and Gary is his boy.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Everybody is Bob's boy. That's how we got stuck with Carr too long. Perhaps he's learned his lesson.

What does Charlie Pallilo say? Every other team in the league has either made the playoffs or fired their head coach since Kubiak was hired. Doesn't seem that complicated to me. Playoffs, or bust.

Frankly, the sooner the team is officially eliminated from the race, perhaps the better. Official elimination might not come this weekend, but all but it might. Jacksonville is 4-1 at home and seem to beat teams that are worse then them and lose to teams that are better than them...obviously, duh...but what I'm saying is they don't go out and beat the Colts while losing to the Chiefs.

They do have a difficult finishing schedule - Miami, Indi, @ NE, @ Cleveland, but a win this week means they'd just have to go 2-2 to finish ahead of the Texans.

As a Texans fan, I am NOT rooting for a Jaguar win....BUT, it wouldn't be as upsetting anymore. Knowing Houston teams, I can see the Texans winning their next 4 to regain some excitement in the city, only to fall in the end...or even going 5-0 but still not making the playoffs. If the team finishes 9-7 or 10-6 but out of the playoffs...yuck.