1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bloody Monday: 68,000 Job Losses Announced Today With More to Come

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/26/news/economy/job_cuts/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The final week of January began with a bloodbath for the job market, as over 68,000 more cuts were announced on Monday alone.

At least six companies from manufacturing and service industries announced cost-cutting initiatives that included slashing thousands of jobs.

More than 200,000 job cuts have been announced so far this year, according to company reports. Nearly 2.6 million jobs were lost over 2008, the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945.

"It's all about the consumer, and the consumer's been hit hard," said Robert Brusca, chief economist at Fact and Opinion Economics. "It's a vicious circle as weakness begets layoffs, which beget more spending weakness."

Construction machinery manufacturer Caterpillar (CAT, Fortune 500) said Monday it will cut 20,000 jobs amid a "very challenging global business environment." The company had already planned to cut 15,000 workers since the fourth quarter of 2008, but added another 5,000, bringing the total to 20,000.

Pfizer (PFE, Fortune 500) said in an earnings report it would cut 10% of its staff of 81,900 and close five of its manufacturing plants. And a second round of cuts will shed about 15% of employees from the combined Pfizer/Wyeth staff of 120,000. That makes a total of 26,000 jobs lost. The company already cut 4,700 jobs in 2008.

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S, Fortune 500) will cut a total of about 8,000 jobs by March 31, the company said in a release. The telecommunications company's plan is to reduce internal and external labor costs by about $1.2 billion on an annual basis.

Home Depot (HD, Fortune 500), the world's largest home improvement retailer, announced Monday it will eliminate its EXPO design center business and cut 7,000 associates, or approximately 2% of the company's total workforce. The company blamed a lack of demand for big ticket design and decor projects.

Dutch financial group ING (ING) said Monday it will take a 2008 loss of $1.3 billion and cut 7,000 jobs. The company could not comment on where the cuts would take place. ING employs around 130,000 people across 50 countries.

Deere& Co. (DE, Fortune 500) , the world's top farm-equipment maker, said it would cut nearly 700 jobs between factories in Brazil and Iowa.

The job cuts across sectors didn't surprise Brusca, as nearly all are weak, he said.

"The services sector is shedding jobs at a horrific pace, because that's where most of the jobs are," Brusca said. "When the consumer is in tough shape it's hard for business to do well, because it all depends on consumption or investments."
    Continuing the scary trend

The cuts mark a horrific start to the week, and a brutal start to 2009. In the previous week, around 40,000 cuts were announced across multiple industries.

Wednesday, in particular, was littered with a slew of job cuts: BHP Billiton, Clear Channel Communications, Intel, Rohm and Haas Co., UAL Corp. and Williams-Sonoma all announced job cuts totaling over 27,000 positions.

Schlumberger said Friday that it will cut 5,000 jobs worldwide, with 1,000 of the cuts taking place in North America.

Also last week, Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Entertainment said it would cut about 800 jobs, or 10% of its worldwide staff in the upcoming weeks, while Microsoft unveiled its plan to cut up to 5,000 jobs - 5.5% of its global workforce.
    Outlook: A recovery in sight?

Brusca said he agreed with many economists' predictions that the recession will end after the second quarter of 2009. Americans might feel the job market start to bounce back a bit sooner than expected, he said.

"These recessions are like geometry," Brusca said. "It looks like we'll have a V-shaped cycle, in that we're going into this with very sharp losses. This intense-phase recession will probably recover fairly quickly, with the job market coming out it at the same angle it came in."

In the short term, the economy and the job market are in trouble, Brusca said. But "it doesn't look like the bottom is falling out of the economy," he said.

And there's a silver lining to the gloomy clouds over America's economy.

"The good news is it's so bad right now that we will have a definite, noticeable recovery when it comes," Brusca said. "We're getting a lot of adjustment out of the way early."

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That sucks. Last week, two of my office neighbors were laid off. For one of them, I thought it was a really poor decision. He's a great engineer, but over 60, and makes a ton of money. They didn't tell him this, but I'm pretty sure he was cut so the company can get the bid down on the next phase of the project he was working on.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think 10% plus here we come. Will take a while for this to hit the bottom.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't understand this line of thought. the consumer has driven our economy, particularly through consumer credit. I don't believe these creditors are going to go back to giving out much credit to shaky consumers.

they definitely won't do it in the housing market. this isn't the tech bubble, or the economy after 9-11, business is credit is tighter, consumer credit is tighter. not because banks won't lend to each other (another problem apparently that hasn't been fixed by the bailout), because banks and companies that provide credit are going to be A LOT more careful.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is some brutal news. The one that has me really worried is Caterpillar, since I own their stock and since that is a very bad sign for construction. Just a year ago Caterpillar couldn't keep up with global demand for their equipment.. :(

6. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

the thing with caterpillar is theyre dropping american jobs but they're just moving those overseas, they have tons of cheap laborers overseas. Its tough to compete when an american must have minimum wage and benefits and someone elsewhere doesnt. I hope we get through this soon but everyday its seeming like we americans are gonna have to drop our standard of living to compete on a global scale when for years we thought we could bring other countries to our level.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I completely agree with you. It's a pipe dream to think the recovery will start in the 3rd quarter this year with a steep hiring spree.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Didn't they just break ground on a manufacturing plant in Seguin? Anyone know the status of that?

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

They're opening a new plant in North Little Rock early next year too. Well, actually they're just moving the operations of one plant to another location BUT when that announcement was made 3 weeks ago they also said no layoffs would be made.

10. weslinder

I knew a guy who graduated from college last year, was offered a job with Caterpillar in March to work at a brand-new manufacturing plant, and they cancelled building the plant and withdrew his offer in June, just before he was to start.

Personally, I'm a little worried about both Caterpillar and John Deere. They've made a lot of money for a long time by charging gold-plated prices for the highest-quality equipment. With the increasing quality of Korean equipment, I wonder if the economics that made that a good choice are going to change. Would you buy a Caterpillar or Deere tractor/dozer/backhoe if you could get a Hyundai for 25% less that was 90% as good? It would give me pause.

11. deepblue

deepblue Member

I think the view is we will plunge so deep next couple of quarters, then things might stabilize a bit. That could be considered the start of recovery, but we will NEVER go back to the level of credit market we had before.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Why be worried? Be happy. I'm confused. Milton Friedman. Let the Americans engineers wages sink to the level of those in India. It is just the labor market clearing. If your buddy and the guys working at the plant were willing to work for much less they could have jobs. I thought you wanted a libertarian world of which this is a symptom.

13. weslinder

Funny strawman. If we were losing heavy equipment manufacturing jobs to India, your strawman might have just a grain of truth. South Korea pays workers almost as much as the US, though. And oddly enough, they owe a lot of their own growth to the application of many of Friedman's ideas to their own economy.

14. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

A lot of job loss is because Cat will no longer be producing engines for road trucks. They are not profitable enough with all the restrictions for emissions control. They announced this a couple years ago so the layoffs are not as much about the recession as they want people to think. They may be hoping for a government hand out.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Obama brings record job losses to America.
    Bigtexx was right about Obama's taxes killing the economy. ;)

16. MFW

MFW Member

South Korea is one of the most protectionist "market economies" out there. I doubt either Friedman or any other U of Chicago free market supporting alums would step anywhere near what is in practise in that country.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I thought South Korea was known for high taxes on imports.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think Chaebols are very Friedman-esque.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My wife's company announced record earnings in the tune of over 4 billion dollars on Monday and had layoffs on Tuesday in which she was effected. Some companies are just using it as an excuse to move stuff to other countries.

20. updawg

updawg Member

Exactly, it's only been a week and look what he's done.