1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers want a point guard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Aug 26, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

So have the Blazers decided Bayless is a combo guard? After the draft Bayless was projected as a starter while Blazers maintained Fernandez could be a year or three away from playing a significant role on their team.

If the Rockets can get involved... Would you gamble on trading away Rafer by replacing him with Fernandez at PG? Alston+bait for Fernandez+filler?

2. baller4life315

We've smelled the Conley-to-Portland thing for quite some time now. Conley is going to be good but it makes sense for Memphis to consider moving Conley since Portland has the combination of youth & equal talent to match.

3. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

I think you mean Sergio Rodriguez instead of Rudy Fernandez, because Rudy isn't a point guard. Either way Rafer is fine as it is, and I doubt Houston should consider trading Alston and a filler for Outlaw and a filler.

Sergio Rodriguez, isn't ready to be a starting PG, for a contending team.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Fernandez is predominately a SG but he also plays minutes at PG. Rodriguez isn't a NBA level point guard.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Those guys are getting greedy. This isn't their time. They need to sit back and drink some lemonade in the backyard until they are ready. They want everything too soon.

6. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

My thoughts exactly, Rodriguez is good making fans excited when you have a cushion of a lead. Fernandez on the other hand, looks like a steal for the Blazers, good shooter, excellent slasher, and fearless. I hate to make this comparison, but its noticeable that he is a Ginobili type player

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Blazers have been trying to trade Outlaw for a long time despite his breakout season. That says something to me. Why they would want another PG is a mystery. Blake, Roy and a touch of Bayless should fill the bill. I don't know where Conley would fit.

8. saleem

saleem Member

Rafer plus bait won't get you Fernandez.He isn't on the block.He would look nice on the Rockets but Tracy McGrady would have to take up the PG duties full time in that situation.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Pure Greed.

They have Brandon fricking Roy, with Steve Blake and Rodriguez as depth.

I doubt this story.

But, if it is infact truth, Morey should be on the phone RIGHT now offering them Rafer for Oden. ;)

10. tinywang

tinywang Member

wasnt Blake traded to the Nuggets?

11. Asian Sensation

Brandon Roy is NOT a pg. He may come off as one because he has nice handles and can distribute when needed so he can play limited minutes at the 1 spot but the Blazers would rather focus on him being fed instead of him distributing to others.

Steve Blake is a decent player but he's best suited as a backup and he's not a natural play-maker either but rather a shoot first pg.

Rodriguez is exactly what he has been for the Blazers and would play the same role anywhere else. 3rd string pg that is.

Jerryd Bayless is a nice player and I'm excited to see what he can do for the Blazers. He reminds me a lot of Ben Gordon in terms of size, quickness and scoring ability/mentality.

A GM should always be looking to improve his team. Kevin Pritchard reminds me a lot of Daryl Morey in terms of doing what is necessary to improve the team and constantly looking to get better and making good moves in the process. Travis Outlaw is like Shane Battier for Blazers magnified by 100. He's their greatest trade asset, their current starting pg Blake < Rafer Alston, both on reasonable contracts which makes them easily movable, both teams have glut at the swingman position.

12. batkins

batkins Member

No, he was traded to the Nuggets when he was with Milwaukee. He signed with Portland last season as a free agent.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why would the rockets give up rafer for a PG who's team say she's 3 years away from contributing?

the rockets are ready to win now, not in 3 years.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

There were rumors that Morey wanted to trade Battier for Outlaw and Brandon Rush on draft day, but Pritchard was only willing to give up Outlaw and Webster. Both men apparently think Battier is worth much more than Outlaw alone.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's the gamble. The Rockets hope he is ready now instead of 3 years away.

Wasn't the rumor, the Rockets wanted Outlaw, but the Blazers were only offering Webster?

16. saleem

saleem Member

It was Battier and Batum for Webster and Rush. The Blazers backed out when Bayless fell to them.

17. saleem

saleem Member

He is back with the Blazers now.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm sure glad that didn't happen because Batum became Green and Green became Artest.

19. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Nice post :D

20. conquistador#11

great deal.
    I think Barry/rudy/brooks will be able to handle the point.