1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Birds of a feather... More John Daly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheHorns, Aug 6, 2003.

1. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Daly's wife on drugs, gambling charges

US golfer John Daly faces more turmoil off the course, although this time it's not his own.

His wife and two others have been charged with being involved in a drug ring and an illegal gambling operation.

Sherrie Miller Daly, who married the two-time Major champion in 2001, appeared in court here along with her father, Alvis Miller, 60; and Billie Miller, 57, whose relationship to the others wasn't clear.

Daly, who recently gave birth to the couple's first child, faces up to 20 years in prison on each of the two counts.

Prosecutors said the golfer didn't know about his wife's alleged drug activities, which took place between 1996 and 2002.

John Daly's agent, Bud Martin, declined to comment but did say Daly is expected to play next week in the PGA Championship, which he won in 1991.

The July 28 charge allege the three were part of a larger conspiracy to buy and sell cocaine, methamphetamine and mar1juana, and paid for them with cash from previous drug sales.

It lists 47 bank deposits just under $10,000– the limit for reporting federal cash transactions – between 1998 and 2001.

It is the latest setback for John Daly, whose career took off when he won the PGA Championship at Crooked Stick with his booming drives and grip-it-and-rip-it style.

He has been through alcohol rehabilitation twice, the second time after trashing his hotel room following a drinking binge at The Players Championship in 1997. He last won a tournament at the 2001 BMW International Open in Germany, his first victory in six years.

Sherrie Daly is his fourth wife. They met during the St Jude Classic in Memphis, Tennessee, in 2001 and married seven weeks later.

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Damn I feel bad for that dude.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Uh huh, and he never knew about any of this.

I adamantly doubt that. I smell a supoenia.

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Don't drink and marry.

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

He was probably too drunk to remember. Hell, I would not be shocked if he didn't know he was married....

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You do? I feel sorry for people when things happen to them that are out of their control. This was definitely in his control. Nobody has to marry someone 7 weeks after meeting them. I never feel sorry for stupid people.

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Amen.

(you should make that or a variation of it your signature)

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nah..."Blues is a healer" is the only sig I've ever had on this BBS. Too late to change it now. But thanks for the suggestion!