1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Bill Walton-isms

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaveSavage, Dec 18, 2002.

1. DaveSavage

DaveSavage Member

no doubt Walton is the greatest -- if he's not referring to Olajuwon as "king of kings" it's this tasty insight - -

"Yao Ming is so far ahead of anything that's going on in the world." --((Bill Walton on Yao Ming tonight at the Pacers/Rockets game in Houston))

this guy cracks me up - -

who else can recall some legenday, if not outlandish, observations and insights from the red-headed legend - -

go Rockets, way to go Stros signing Jeff Kent today - -

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I love listening to Bill Walton. Don't we all when he is praising our Rockets.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

I loved him before I knew he was a basketball legend.

4. Vinny

Vinny Member

"Yao Ming is playing at a higher level in this game than anyone else on the court.........by far, and there are some very good players in this game.":cool:

5. paranoid111

paranoid111 New Member

he is pathetic, he just want to show that he is the one who made
    the correct prediction on Yao Ming early this year.
    LOL

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can't stand the guy. He'll claim that's an offensive foul, but the defender will be in the circle. He's not a smart analyst by any stretch of the imagination. He's only there because he's willing to talk out of his arse. I like hearing his stories, but he shouldn't be making most of the live action calls. He has said nothing tonight that made me think he's done any research on what has made the Rockets successful. He watches too many highlights and not enough game situations.

Other than that, I loved his Yao Ming stories. I just don't want to hear him say that Yao should have the ball every play. He sounds like some of our Yao-only fans that are visiting.

7. dwang8

dwang8 Member

This guy is hyping Yao Ming beyond imagination, like he's superman or something. I don't think that's very helpful, I rather he direct some of those praises to Lebron James. Yao Ming don't need so much attention, only attention he needs is when he and the Rockets win an NBA championship.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Walton definetley isn't a good analyst... like when they called a foul after J. O'Neal bricked the dunk... Walton said, "That was the right call." On the replay, no one even touched him.

As to him not doing any research, I don't think any of these commentators actually watch any games other than the ones they call, because they're usually pretty clueless. A great example of pure ignorance last year was in the Jazz-Kings series in the playoffs. Everyone was surprised that Utah put up such a fight. All these media people were like "Well, in the regular season series the Kings beat the Jazz by an average of 20-something points." What no one mentioned was that the Jazz were without Marshall for three of those games, and without Malone for the other one. But since nobody actually watched those games or did any research, everyone thought the Jazz had risen from the dead, when all that happened is that they finally had both their skilled big men playing together. Giant "duh!"

At least the Rockets are starting to get recognition now. I live in Sacramento, and the beginning of this year people would laugh at me when I told them I was a Rockets fan...

...they're not laughing now.

9. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

Walton was terrible. He overhyped Yao tonight. Yao is great, but not God, he's bringing in all the names of those legends in the 60s and talked about how Yao is a combination of those legends. He's crazy.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

How about after a hard foul when he said something like ...

"Yao Ming has a lot to teach the world... He didn't even retaliate... Yao Ming has a lot to teach us all "

I love Ming and it's great to see him get the praise but MY GOD BILL ...shut yer freakin pie hole big man !

He fawned over the guy like he wanted to be his love slave :eek:

I thought Madden was bad when he drones on and on about Farve but Walton has him beat.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Guys Bill Walton is incredibly smart, can't you guys hear the sarcasm in some of his statements?

He is hilarious, just watch a few Clipper broadcasts, or some more ESPN ones, you will laugh if you realize that he is overexaggerating to make people giggle.

DaDakota

12. bobododo

bobododo Member

Yao:"get off mah nut walton!"

anyways whats up with him saying yao doesn't need to throw it down when all he does is tell players to throw it down.

jeff kent is nothing without bonds--

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

"That was the worst inbounds pass in the history of the Los Angeles Clipper franchise."-- Bill on Darius Miles last year

14. haven

haven Member

Walton's hilarious. Just don't take him so seriously. DaDakota's right: in reality, he's a very sharp guy. Of course he's over the top. But he doesn't make a career of bashing players, and he does actually know a lot about basketball. Which puts him a cut above most commentators ;).

Walton's also pretty good at calling talent. He nailed Yao, and that's not the only time he's been right.

15. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

we all could learn alot from yao ming...and bill walton

16. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Anyone who would actually considers his remarks are either just stupid or high. We're talkin bout the guy who actually thought that olowakandi would break Chamberlin's 100 point record.

17. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Hey, for all the Bill-bashing, I for one, enjoy the guy. He's no more "over the top" than Bill Madden is about NY Football. I think Bill Walton is a smart guy with a nice smile and he's gonna ride this Yao phenomenon being among the first guys to recognize Yao's potential.

Moreover, you gotta appreciate his sincerity and lack of pretense.

:D :D :D

theSAGE

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Walton's comments are just pure comedy. He is so full of **** that its hilarious. His comments are so exaggerated and wack. I actually enjoyed listening to his crap. Its kinda ammusing.

19. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

a nice smile????:confused:

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Walton isn't the stupid one, rather it's the idiots who actually think Walton is being serious.

He's the best in the business. When he's serious, he knows the game more than any commentator in the game.

Maybe I appreciate him more than others since I'm a sarcastic guy.