1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] Nothing Has Altered the NBA Like Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Patience, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

LINK

The Sports Guy
    Just what sports stats need, another asterisk situation.
    by Bill Simmons

With the possible exceptions of Dr. James Andrews, Isiah Thomas and Dick Bavetta, as well as the inventors of SportsCenter, cocaine and the JumboTron, nobody randomly altered the course of NBA history quite like Mike D'Antoni. I realized this while watching the Knicks' Chris Duhon explode for a franchise record 22 assists recently. Here was a career backup suddenly looking like a cross between Bob Cousy, Magic Johnson and Scott Howard during the "I Don't Need to Be the Wolf for Us to Win" game … and I wasn't remotely surprised.

Thanks to D'Antoni's revolutionary "seven seconds or less" offense (SSOL, for short), Duhon's big game was perfectly logical. The mind-set is simple and brilliant. When you exert a seemingly chaotic run-and-gun pace, opponents invariably get caught up in that tempo—you know, because deep down every player really wants to shoot every seven seconds—and that's exactly what Coach Mike wants. He trains his teams to play that style and looks for players who make it work, giving him an inherent advantage every night. Like Mike Dunleavy with the the 2009 Clippers, only the exact opposite.

Of course, SSOL also happens to be the reverse acronym for LOSS. D'Antoni's Phoenix teams were wildly entertaining, consistently successful—and always heading home before the Finals. D'Antoni didn't care that just about every NBA champ since the 1988-89 Pistons had won with defense; once teams slowed the Suns' tempo and systematically broke them down, their lack of commitment to D always surfaced. Always. They had a fatal flaw. It took us four years to realize it.

We spent so much time arguing SSOL's team merits that we never noticed its effects on careers. Remember what happened to Quentin Richardson when he left Phoenix? (Even Sugar from Survivor didn't disappear as quickly.) Have you seen Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa or Raja Bell this season? (Overpaid bench players, as it turns out.) Or Amaré Stoudemire? (Is he even an All-Star anymore?) Have you caught Al Harrington, David Lee, Nate Robinson and Duhon in the Knicks' version of the SSOL system? (Suddenly, they're gone in every fantasy league.) Most important, has anyone seen Steve Nash lately?

In case you forgot, the Consecutive MVP Club looks like this: Kareem, Bird, Magic, Moses, Jordan, Russell, Duncan, Wilt … and Nash. Gulp. Remember, I protested this vehemently at the time, padlocking myself to the front door of David Stern's office in protest (okay, not true) and even playing the Johnnie Cochran Memorial Race Card (true) in a failed attempt to argue that only transcendent point guards like Magic and Oscar should win MVPs. I thought we were turning our backs on 60 years of NBA history, legitimizing a table-setter as our lead alpha dog and turning the process into a popularity contest. Any time "he's fun to watch and, more important, I can't think of anyone else" becomes the criteria for deciding an MVP race, trouble will ensue.

Look, I love watching Nash and I remain grateful that he helped make the NBA entertaining again. But there are two objectives in basketball (score and defend) and over the years he was exploited defensively more times than Lindsay Lohan. That meant we were voting a DH as MVP. Twice. I voted for Shaq in 2005 and Kobe in 2006—well, in my mind I did—and Nash didn't make my top four either year. Begrudgingly, I grew to accept Nash's stature even if I disagreed with it: He made teammates better and made a seemingly frantic style work for a contender, and his numbers/percentages appealed to stat geeks everywhere (17 points, 11 assists, 51%-91%-44% FG-FT-3FG in his MVP years). Fine. In the big scheme, rewarding an exceedingly likable player twice didn't rank among the 200 worst sports atrocities of this decade.

Then D'Antoni left and Nash's numbers quickly and not-so-coincidentally dropped back to his pre-Phoenix numbers in Dallas. You know, when the Mavericks decided to let him leave after Mike Bibby torched him in the 2004 playoffs. Check it out:

Nash, 2003-04: 78 games, 14.5 PPG, 8.8 APG, 47% FG, 41% 3FG, 92% FT.
    Nash, 2008-09: 24 games, 15.5 PPG, 8.5 APG, 48% FG, 42% 3FG, 94% FT.

Here's where you say, "Come on, he's 34, it's inevitable he would slow down." Is it? It doesn't bother you that his 2008-09 numbers don't differ from his 2001-04 Dallas averages? Or that every other NBA legend—seriously, all of them—peaked statistically between 25 and 29. Or that Nash jumped a level from borderline All-Star to two-time MVP at 31-32? Logically, it never made sense. You can have late bloomers in the NBA, but not late superstar bloomers. If such a leap occurred in baseball, we would have cracked 10 million HGH/syringe jokes. In the NBA, we ignored the obvious reason (SSOL) and talked ourselves into it.

Which brings me to my point, and I swear I have one: Of the four major sports, only in basketball is the historical fate of everyone from borderline All-Star to borderline superstar determined entirely by his situation. Baseball is an individual sport; you are who you are (although ballparks can skew this to varying degrees).

In hockey, you can ride someone's coattails for big numbers (think Jari Kurri), but we know when it's happening.

In football, we sometimes see great players trapped on abominable teams (Barry Sanders, Archie Manning) and good players hitting the team lottery (Jim Kelly, Franco Harris), but we can usually tell either way.

Well, what about basketball? The best thing that ever happened to Malone was Stockton, and vice versa; So, what if the Bullets hadn't screwed up and had picked Mailman one spot ahead of Utah instead of taking the immortal Kenny Green? How would you remember Dominique's career if the Lakers had picked him over Worthy? What if Pippen never played with MJ? What if McHale never played with Bird? What if young Kobe had gotten stuck on an expansion team instead of the Lakers? What if KG found a great team before he turned 30? What if Tim Duncan landed on the 1997-98 Celtics instead of the 1997-98 Spurs? In a league where you can play only five at a time, the fortunes of every good player are irrevocably tied to those of his teammates and coach. For better and worse.

That's why you can play the what-if game all day with the NBA. Just make sure to include Mike D'Antoni, the Coors Field of coaches, the guy who screwed up our beloved offensive numbers a little too much, swung consecutive MVP votes and turned a borderline All-Star into an NBA icon. Had he taken Chicago's job last summer, we'd be calling Derrick Rose "Magic 2.0" and Ben Gordon would be averaging 29 a game on his way to juggling monster free agent offers next summer. Play a few seasons of SSOL ball, and people will eventually believe that you're better offensively than you really are. Coach Mike has the magic touch. Not for everyone—yes, I'm pointing at you, Jerome James and Eddy Curry—but for some.

One of those players was a forever-grateful Nash, who was slightly better than Mark Price and now goes down for eternity as an all-time great. Another is Duhon, who gets to hold his own record in something. There are a few others in the past and present and more coming in the future. I just hope one of them isn't named LeBron. Why? Because I don't have enough brain cells to properly calibrate his first triple-double Knicks season. Could he average 36-13-13 every game with Coach Mike? What about a 40-15-15?

(My head hurts. I have to go.)

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

read this a few days back when I was surprised to see that Bill Simmons wrote about something other than NE sports, ending his streak of like months to years of practically straight Boston. I used to enjoy reading his stuff, but its become virtually unbearable ever since Boston teams have started to win again. If I wanted to know what was going on there all the time, I would read the Globe.

3. foodworld

foodworld Member

As a NE Sports fan I cannot stand Bill Simmons' writing. I hate lazy Family Guy style humor, how macho he tries to be (not shutting up about getting drunk in Vegas even with a wife and kids), and how he takes no responsibility for the fact that he's wrong a lot. He maintains ridiculous views on certain aspects of basketball (though this is by far the sport he's most knowledgeable) and yet is wont to call everyone else idiots.

In this article, though, he says the obvious, something other commentators have been pointing out since roughly 2005. Everyone's stats on D'Antoni's teams are padded for obvious reasons, and the Suns teams were overhyped. It was ridiculous that after the 04-05 season Phoenix bagged the trophies of:

Executive of the Year
    Coach of the Year
    Most Valuable Player
    &c.

I--and many on the forum back then--asked at the time, Is this team really this good? Only something like the 72-win Bulls deserved recognition like that. And if the Suns are this good, is it Colangelo's doing? D'Antoni's? Nash's? If it's the work of all three, then is it possible that each individual is overrated?

4. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

good post OP.

ps - Boris has been excellent in Charlotte.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree with pretty much the whole article.

6. FFz

FFz Member

Joe Johnson has been balling as well.

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

"Not for everyone—yes, I'm pointing at you, Jerome James and Eddy Curry—but for some."

haha :D

8. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

A Mike D'Antoni team will never win a NBA title. He's arrogant and too stubborn to realize that defense plays a role in NBA basketball, a pretty big one at that.

9. devin23

devin23 Member

I think Don Nelson's nellie ball was more influential. Hell, even Mike had followed that type of play.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is dead wrong about Boris, but I agree with everything else I think....

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

if mike dantoni's system was so flawed, then the suns now should be more succesful in terms of games won and playoff games won, since their shift to focus more on defense, which in his article is proven to be whats best for all teams.

since at best theyre now equal in playoffs success with dantoni's teams, then all simmons is doing is putting down dantoni for overachieving with his players. for making his players average more stats, his teams more wins in the regular season and fans interest increased in his suns team.

12. foodworld

foodworld Member

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I don't think the article rips Mike D'Antoni. Rather, it says that commentators over-hyped his players and teams to a point unprecedented in recent memory, and that D'Antoni's system was the cause.

As far as this Sun's team goes, they're not as good for a variety of reasons, but to say that their failings vindicates D'Antoni is a little unfair. They have a magazine rack of chemistry issues, in part because Mike coddled his players to the point where they're unwilling to make individual sacrifices towards winning.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

borris and joe are good all around players that would be good in any system. Their success outside of phoenix is more a testament to their skills. I always thought diaw should have gotten more playing time.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So, some players' skill sets thrive in some style of game and not others? Tell us something we don't know yet.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This FTW. Simmons is a lazy hack who needs at least a heavy-handed editor.

I also hate how he references his buddies in those Vegas and related stories. So boring.

Mentioning his father and conversations with father = good idea. Everything else is pretty bad.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, I vowed to stop criticizing him but the second vegas reference had to be responded to with this. he tries to be so cool but if you actually hear him he has a very wimpy voice, which I don't care about since he's a writer right? Well it didn't bug me untill he put himself in an espn program about las vegas. anyone remember when espn had the show about the football team, they also had one for a season or two about some professional poker players in Las Vegas. It was called Tilt. He made a cameo as a pro poker player in one of those espn tournaments. I almost threw up in my mouth

He's talented but the stichk has gotten old. The first columns I read of his were about "The Galleryfurniture.com bow" LOL, and the Atlanta Gold Cup Club trial and they were brilliant. But when he got into the whole "i'm a cool guy who hangs in vegas mode" it was all downhill.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^ Yup.

What bothers me also aside from the hackneyed pop culture references schtick which has worn out its welcome is the lack of accountability or logic in his little bits of real analysis - he'll make all sorts of predictions and judgments and etc....but when they are wrong or shallow or obviously not impartial, he tends to just hide behind the "voice of the fan" gimmick. Sorry after doing this as a job for 5-10 years you're no longer just a fan.

Case in point - just skimming the article above - he doesn't mention a fairly relevant fact, that Paul Westhead ran the same run & gun style of quick shot offense in Denver back in the early 90's, and that a lot of scoring records fell because of it (Scott Skiles setting the single-game record for assists comes to mind). It's not critical to mention this in his article, but it's a pretty relevant fact, and it tends to support his argument if properly spun. Most real columnists/journalists would be embarrassed for forgetting to include that fact (and yeah it was 18 years ago, but Simmons lives in teh 80's so he has no excuse).

#17 SamFisher, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A lot of players have left Phoenix and continued to be good. My friend and I were having this exact opposite conversation the other day. Quentin Richardson is still good, he's just stuck in a bad situation now. Joe Johnson is even better than he was in Phoenix, and role players like Tim Thomas, Diaw, and Barbosa have continued to thrive in the absence of D'Antoni. If anyone has fallen off since they parted ways with D'Antoni (Marion and Nash), then it's more likely than not due to old age and deteriorating athleticism than it is coaching.

And on the whole aspect of basketball depending on your situation, he's COMPLETELY wrong. The #1 circumstantial sport would have to be football. In basketball and baseball you prove your worth whether you're on a good or bad team. In football, the players in skill positions (QB, RB, WR) are worth squat without a line. Remember how Denver in their good run was just picking RB's off of the 6th round or later and plugging them right in with great success? Remember how Priest Holmes went down, and then Larry Johnson did even better and we thought he was good? Yeah that's right, thank your offensive line chumps. Bill Simmons is the master of two things: hyperbole, and getting predictions wrong.

19. foodworld

foodworld Member

I agree that Simmons is a talented individual, but right now he is ensconced in a comfortable position where he can say the same thing over and over again, and make the same pop culture references. This is esp. true of his football articles.

He doesn't have to be a good or interesting sportswriter anymore.

The article of the OP, I think, is a good example. It's a lot of fluff and seems insightful, yet even if on target isn't very substantive.

A lot of people thought Nash was a poor MVP choice.
    A lot of people thought the Suns' philosophy, as well as the arrogance coming from their players, front office and coach, were open invitations to doom in the post-season.
    Suns fans, at least the more insightful of them, thought W'ahntoni was arrogant and unwilling to consider emphasizing defense--to the point of turning down Tom Thibodeaux as an assistant coach because he didn't "need" him.

In short, he's arrogating to himself other people's opinions and claiming he's the only one who's seen the Suns weaknesses all along. He's being so overdramatic because he claimed that Nash was a horrible signing at the time, and is trying to justify being soooooo wrong.

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

The worst article of 2008:

http://www.knickerblogger.net/?p=1234

And I completely agree.

Simmons is re-defining lazy. There's no excuse for someone like him to be as out of touch as he is.