1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher: ‘Fat Acceptance’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I was into free weights in my 20’s. Don’t need them now. I have no desire to have 25” biceps or well defined pectoral muscles. I just do cardio and that is enough. I see what you’re trying to do but it’s not a great example. I agree, If you want to build muscle and you’ve decided to start training, it’s not that hard.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Deflection is thy name.

LOL.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

No. Just solutions rather than excuses.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I hear you, I'm six five and 240, which is a lot better than I use to be, but I work out and exercise *a lot* and it really doesn't have much impact - I don't do it for weight control but rather just to stay healthy. I cut out so much bad food and weight just stays at 240. Could I lose another 10 lbs - absolutely, but I don't stress over it. I feel healthy, I can play basketball with 20 years old (not as well as I like) and I kite board.

So you're 100% right and congrats on being healthy. Hopefully you can knock out the late night eating (try munching on pickles) as that's super bad for you especially if your fam has any history of diabetes.

tinman and Tomstro like this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yes late night eating is not cool but it’s my guilty pleasure.

tinman and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]
    What happened to Bridget Fonda?

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

American food. And aging.

8. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Damn here momma gets more exercise than her
    Is she just on Clutchfans eating Cheetos all day ?

9. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    She got addicted to the D&D on Clutchfans and started watching Disney plus cartoons
    @Sweet Lou 4 2
    Or she started hanging out with that fat Indian girl on tiktok

10. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Zion or Ja Morant ?
    Who would you draft now

11. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

@Reeko
    @pgabriel

I don't believe anything in this video that she eats except for
    "Whataburger"

Rocket River likes this.
  12. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Things are not easy when you get older. When I was under 30, I could eat whatever I want, buffet everyday and I stay under 160, I am just under 6'. It all went down hill after 35, it got to the point last year at my physical when I hit 220 and was prediabetic.

I started control my diet and exercise regularly little more than a year ago. The biggest thing is not eating as much as you want, I don't eat until I am full, and reduced big Macs and KFCs. I am doing jogging during warm months and cardio programs on DAREBEE when it is cooler outside. I am now down to 185 and body fat % is now down to 24% (from 38%), a1c went from 5.9 to 5.5, the dr was impressed at this year's physical.

My goal is to reach 175-180, which i have not seen in over twenty years. It gets harder now that I am under 190, have to watch my weight everyday. I went to a great buffet place a little while ago and gained five pounds in one day, took me a week to work it off.

I am sure this would be really hard to do for people who have to work irregular hours or have to work multiple jobs, but if you work a couple times a week, it will help.

tinman and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

the change in metabolism when you get older is the hard thing to get use to, which is why I'm shocked so many young people are fat.
    Wait til their metabolism slows down.

but as a society, we should not have fat acceptance. Go to the airport and check out the international flights and then check out the domestic flights.
    you'll see it's a cultural and thing.

@AroundTheWorld

Rocket River likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

It's much more than metabolism loss, for men it's testosterone decline and longer recovery times. Ironically we need less sleep as we age, but you do need enough for your body to repair from exercise.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I was just talking to a good friend yesterday about as we get older we need to do three very important things. Eat better, get exercise and sleep better. Those are hard things for many Americans to do and I know for me the last one is the one I seem to have most difficulty controlling.

Also one thing I notice in Houston is that Houstonians on average appear to be fatter and shorter than Minnesotans. Part of it might be there is greater ethnic diversity in Houston so a lot more Asians and Central Americans who are shorter than Minnesota which has a lot of Scandinavian and German descended people but for weight Houston is such a car culture and so spread out while Minneapolis St Paul is smaller so especially in summer people don’t drive so much. Minnesotans also seem more active and will be out jogging and biking even in the depths of winter.

Also Houston has great food, a lot of it and much of it very unhealthy.

16. Buck Turgidson

And you being gullible, because that is not her.

It's really difficult to take you seriously about anything, because as I've noticed you will believe damn near any wackadoodle tweet you see on the internet.

#76 Buck Turgidson, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Source?

Bandwagoner likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

What do you do when a morbidly obese friend asks to borrow a ladder? Serious question.

Kim and B-Bob like this.
  20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'd ask him do you see the weight limit on the side here?

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.