1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher: ‘Fat Acceptance’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 6, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I meant more when people compare outcomes vs $$$. Obviously there are problems that even tho tangentially involve obesity, obesity isn't the only factor.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hey...

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Accept people the way they are sure. But don't glorify people for having a disease.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Back in the day the wrote sounds about A and F
    Where people aren’t fat as hell

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Obesity is definitely a problem but I don’t think just shaming people will solve it. Like most major problems there isn’t one solution. We ned to address the ability for people to exercise, the availability of healthy foods and also getting kids off of screens and out doing physical activity.

As someone who a big part of my life has been around martial arts I’ve been trying to help some of my friends who aren’t fit get into better shape. If I were just to shame them they probably wouldn’t be my friends and be less likely to get into better shape.

jiggyfly, Nook and tinman like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Companies trying to sell their overpriced clothes to fat people by making them feel good, what else is new?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

There's a lot of psychology involved, and while its true that shaming people for being fat is counterproductive and just cruel, celebrating an unhealthy state of being isn't beneficial either.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What really works is cutting out carbs and processed food. That's more easily said than done, of course.

I recommend getting a Freestyle Libre 3 and monitoring your glucose levels and observing how you react to which food.

I did that for a while, and lost 30 pounds (230 to 200, I'm 6'6) within a few weeks (and I wasn't obese to begin with, of course, but I did have a bit of a dad bod belly).

The thing is, once I stopped measuring, it was like it wasn't happening - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc. were back, so I have put on a few pounds again since I arrived in the US. I don't really need weight loss, but my glucose levels were actually close to being pre-diabetic. Anyway, this thread reminds me to put one of those in my arm again, to monitor things a bit.

There are startups like Levels which guide you through the process. It's really interesting, actually. Then of course there is stuff like Noom, etc.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

P.S.: I recommend following Glucose Goddess on Instagram, also, consider buying her book, The Glucose Revolution.

What will be interesting will be to see the science evolve on the correlation of metabolics with cardio health. Kind of like connecting the dots between glucose levels and heart health, measuring all that on a continuous basis.

B-Bob, Nook and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Breh I joined the MMA gym
    For the cardio of course

13. Nook

Nook Member

In some ways it is a very simple topic and in some ways it is not.

I think the emphasis needs to be on diabetes and fighting becoming diabetic. We need to focus on the fact that diabetes is actually more destructive than things like being HIV+.

While there is an unquestioned connection between body fat and diabetes, there are some people that are heavy that are not pre-diabetic and some that appear reasonably thin and are pre-diabetic.

I don't have an issue with some models being heavier, or being diverse. That is what people buying the clothes want, and that is fine. Shaming women for not being a size 2 isn't going to get us anywhere. The emphasis should be on health and not the waist line.

Really it is something that the government needs to heavily push, but a number of industries will be against it, including health care, restaurants, etc.

Cultural changes will be what works and not idiots pointing out people are fat, or complaining that women are saying trying to improve their self esteem. Really men should stay out of that.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Remember how they came after Michelle Obama
    She instantly switched from Diet and Food Quality . . ..to Fitness and Exercise

The Food industry stopped that cold in its tracks
    Even Oprah back tracked a bit from the Beef Industry

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

It’s mainly cultural
    Look at people in Japan and Korea
    @AroundTheWorld
    They got kids and adults addicted to playing video games but they aren’t as fat as people in America

16. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Japan, SK, the PRC and even Taiwan are getting heavier and dealing with obesity problems.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2939400/

They aren’t yet as bad as we are in the US but things like sedentary life styles and poor eating is taking a toll on them.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

On a related note Singapore used to publish the names and pics of overweight children in the main newspaper to shame them. It was part of a campaign to make Singaporeans more physically fit.

pirc1 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

20. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member