1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest choke/upset in sports history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 1, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Me hooping at the park every weekend

B-Bob, Yung-T and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Nick Anderson's 4 free throws.

3. adoo

adoo Member

even that pales in comparison to

this championship fight between reigning Champ Sonny Liston and the big-mouth challenger Cassius Clay

[​IMG]

going into this fight, Clay was more an underdog that Buster Douglas was against Tyson​

Deckard and Rashmon like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of Minnesotans have been saying that these type of upsets in Hockey are relatively common. Of course they also add that makes them feel worse that the Wild lost to the Dallas Stars.

I think historically the UH loss to NC state is close to the top given how it happened. How that game ended made “One Shining Moment”.
    The Buster Douglas over Tyson victory is probably the biggest individual upset.

I’ll add another huge team upset was Stanford in 2007 defeating USC in college football at the LA coliseum. SC was favored by 41 points going into the game and had a 24 game home winning streak. Stanford won 24-23.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Another individual achievement in par with Douglas beating Tyson was Rulon Gardener of the US beating Aleksandr Karelin of Russia in the 2000 Olympics Greco Roman wrestling. Karelin had been was a three time gold medalist and had been unbeaten in 13 years until Gardener beat him in the Gold medal match.

In Judo Tani Ryoko of Japan had an 84 match 4 year winning streak going into the 1996 Olympics. In the gold medal match she lost to a relative unknown North Korean. Her last loss had been in the Gold Medal match of the 1992 Olympics.

and of course for great Olympic upset moments was the Miracle on Ice. The Big Red Machine Soviet team was beating NHL teams easily facing a US team made up of college students. With Russia having just invaded Afghanistan and Cold War tensions high set an unbelievable backdrop to the match.

Slyonebluejay and rimrocker like this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

This one still stings.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/odds-rockets-missing-27-straight-3-pointers-vs-warriors-was-insane

On this day two years ago, May 28, 2018, the Houston Rockets set an NBA playoff record by missing 27 consecutive 3-pointers in their Game 7 loss to the Warriors in the Western Conference finals.

The Rockets led by 15 points in the first half, but due to a classic Warriors third-quarter explosion -- and all those Houston missed 3s -- Golden State walked away with a 101-92 victory.

Invisible Fan and MadMax like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Member

Just awful. Wanted that one so much not just for me but for my son. I was in the building for the first two titles. He needs 1

Deckard, B-Bob, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Biggest choke has to go to ATL Falcons dick

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Best team rarely wins in hockey, worst playoff system in pro sports imo. Too gimmicky

10. VanityHalfBlack

11. VanityHalfBlack

the bruins are a market juggernaut, they still choked.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How is that related to what I said?

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

14. VanityHalfBlack

I said they still choked.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

That's really weird given what players Buffalo had out.

The Oilers were 10-6 that year and Buffalo was 11-5 and didn't even win their division.

Granted they were defending AFC champs, but football has a lot of turnover at the top.

It's one of the biggest chokes in sports for sure.

Nah. A choke necessitates a wasted advantage/lead. This was just an upset. A big one, but still not a choke.

MadMax likes this.
  16. droxford

droxford Member

For the old farts (like me)... I'll never forget the sting of this one.

EDIT: Looks like you'll have to click on the video. It's the Houston Oilers vs. Buffalo Bills in 1992, wild card game. Oilers blew a 35-3 third-Quarter lead to lose in overtime. After only allowing 3 points to Buffalo in the first half, the Oilers allowed them to score 38 points in the second half and overtime.

#36 droxford, May 2, 2023
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Xerobull likes this.
  17. VanityHalfBlack

Florida Panthers are winning the whole thing!

18. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member

In 1986 Villanova beating Georgetown in the national championship game. Villanova had to play a perfect game to win that one

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Then that was a snide comment by Barkley. "At least they still have their Bruin's"? I don't follow Hockey.

20. withmustard

withmustard Member

I could be off but I believe the odds on the Tyson fight were 50:1, while the Liston fight was 7:1.