1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bigger Need: Clutch Bucket-Getter or Imposing Rim-Protector?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Which player would get us closer to a championship?

1. Carmelo Anthony, in his prime

55 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Dikembe Mutombo, in his prime

239 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What is the bigger need for this team right now? A guy who can shoulder the offensive load in the 4th quarter -- the clutch bucket-getter? Or is it a guy who can anchor the defense -- the imposing rim-protector?

Currently, this team is 8th in offense and 23rd in defense. I imagine our offensive ranking goes way down in close 4th quarter minutes, though (that would be an interesting to thing to try to figure out).

But then, as our GM would say, great teams don't win close games -- they avoid them. Might we benefit more from adding a player that would significantly improve the defense right from the opening tip and make our performance down the stretch of close games less of an issue?

I'll put it this way. Right now, we are in pursuit of a very skilled "bucket-getter" -- Carmelo Anthony. I've never been a huge fan of the guy, but I can't deny his talent as a pure 1-on-1 scorer. He's a guy who you can drop the ball to in key 4th quarter possessions, with confidence. Sure, he'd help. But how much? Would he help us more than, say, a Dikembe Mutombo in his prime? Of course, there isn't such a player that is available, but still I am curious what people's thoughts are on that.

2. Vivid

Vivid Member

Both, we need Hakeem.

2 people like this.
  3. dial1revenge

dial1revenge Member

DEFENSE.

We have scorers.

4. AFS

AFS Member

This.

5. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Take out Kobe from last two Laker title and insert Deke in his prime, and I don't think they win any titles.

Take out Kobe from last two Laker title and insert Melo in his prime, and I think there's a very good chance that they win one or two titles.

Easy pick Melo in his prime.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That argument would have more force if the Lakers and Rockets rosters were constructed even remotely similarly.

7. mazinger

mazinger Member

If we were to insert either player with the current team I believe Mutombo would have a bigger impact. We have plenty of good scorers. Martin, Scola and Brooks. We could afford to have all 3 of them on the floor at the same time with Mutombo.

8. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Defense wins championships. When things slow down and your shot isn't falling, it turns into a struggle. If you have an imposing rim-protector and rebounder then it changes everything. The defensive plan. The plays. The chances and opportunities. The gambles and the risks.

Right now we have scorers. Tons and tons of scorers. We have guys who can step up and be closers if the chips fall accordingly. We don't have a guy who can grow 6 inches and suddenly morph into Hakeem.

As for what each player represents (Melo and Mutumbo). Not many big defensive centers who are imposing and can rebound are available. So it is a choice between necessity (f you think we need a Def Big) vs availability (Melo).

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Interesting question.

I'm not sold on Carmelo for many of the same reasons. But I would lean to bucket getter due to our lack of scoring in the clutch.

I actually see our defense improving as from where it was to start the season. Sure, Deke would put us back near the top, but when we were at the top defensively, what we lacked was the bucket getter.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'd go after any top player that's available. So, if it's Carmelo in his prime now, lets do it. Then we can look for Dikembe in his prime and maybe trade Carmelo for Dikembe.

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

But even if we add Deke to our current line-up we aren't winning anything.

If you add Melo, I think Morey can surround this guy with a team that can win it as soon as next year.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Naturally,but durvasa doesn't think so.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

That's easily the dumbest post I've ever read on these forums...wow.

Anyway, it's obviously interior defense. Get Nene or Dalembert and we're going to the conference finals.

14. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

This makes no sense. We add Mutumbo and we make no more moves yet we add Melo and Morey can 'surround' him with pieces to win it next year?

It's a loaded question. Because it depends on what Morey can do afterwards. If it is one and done. Considering it this way. Does a lineup of Brooks-Martin-Shane-Scola-Mutumbo fair better than a lineup of Brooks-Martin-Melo-Scola-Metal Chair?

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Wow conference finals :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have you seen games where we struggle to score in the 4th quarter, yeah Dalembert or Nene will help in that area :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

At first thought, it's a Deke type, so that's how I voted.

What if having the Carmelo type of player would attract other good/star players to the Rockets? If so, it would probably change my answer.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, the obvious answer is Deke. It's a bigger problem and some say the best closer is defense....blocked shots and giving up less off rebounds has to improve the offense some by increasing posessions.

But who are we giving up for each? If we're just plucking in the player, then the answer is Deke, without a doubt.

18. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

They could, in theory, prevent the other team from scoring in a easy way, thus either keeping our lead intact, or keeping us within range and not let things get out of hand.

We aren't lacking offense. What we lack is defense. We have a red carpet set out for the other team to score. If we had a defensive center who could change the makeup of the team, that would keep the other team from sliding down the middle, stealing Scola's lunch, punching Chase in the eye and then making a layup with none of our guys noticing it.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oh, yeah... :)

20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Exactly my thoughts on this subject....if Morey pulls this out and acquire Melo, he will only be one piece of the puzzle, there will be more moves to surround this guy and make it difficult for him to bolt after the season. This team will contend for a title.