1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Man Camp-No Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

From Insider
    Big men duking it out at Newell's camp

What started as a one-man camp in 1976 for the Lakers first-round draft pick Kermit Washington has turned into an NBA institution.

Hordes of college and NBA big men migrate each summer across the Pacific to Hawaii in search of new low post moves, baby hook shots and glass cleaning tips.

It's Pete Newell's Big Man Camp and about 15 NBA centers and power forwards are attending this year.

Usually, the camp is open only to rookies or NBA players in their first couple of years. This year is no different. Rookies Rodney White, Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, Jason Collins, Alton Ford and Ruben Boumtje are attending.

White is an especially interesting addition, as most teams have him projected as a small forward in the pros. Nevertheless, he has the body and power to muscle inside and the Pistons must be interested in developing that side of White's game.

Other young players at the camp include Donnell Harvey, Jake Tsakalidis, Stromile Swift and Chris Mihm.

However a few "grizzled" veterans also are along for the ride. The Mavs Shawn Bradley is back for his third year. Bradley was widely criticized early in his career for skipping the camp and claiming that the summer was his time to rest. However, his play has improved dramatically since he began attending the camp.

Another surprise attendee is Golden State's Antawn Jamison. Jamison, who will likely be re-cast again in the small forward role for Golden State, given the return of Danny Fortson, is probably still living in denial. Jamison has said on numerous occasions that he prefers playing the 4.

Boy, it would have been encouraging to see you know who at this camp. I hope he is working on his game somewhere this summer.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Does that mean Cato isn't "allowed"?

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

If the Rockets insist Cato to go to the big men camp, does he have a choice of not going?

BTW, Glyde, Cato not going to big men camp, it's no news! :rolleyes:

4. Shandon Anversen

i really wish the organization would take a hardline stance with cato.

tell him to go, damnit! go or be benched (um, nevermind. that would be a reward to him). go or be fined (um, nevermind. the player's assocation would throw a rocket bonfire). go or eddie will kick your fairy ass!!!!! YEEEESSSSSS!!!!

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Does that mean DOD didn't completely read the article? ;)

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, it means DoD doesn't wake up until about noon. :D

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Griffin?

Collier?

8. Thanos

Thanos Member

Huh... Mo?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I'm sure Mo could learn a LOT over there.

No bashing. Just a fact.

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

shoot, send them all! I'd love to see some of our big men, take a freakin' interest in their positions and their games...

what would it hurt, other than their going out "clubbin/party time"???

If these players concentrated more on the game and less on spending all that damn money and driving Bentley's they could be contenders...

dream on...

rH

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I heard form a viable source that Cato's mom would not sign the release form. Therefore, Newell declined Cato's entry to avoid liability. Citing Cato's constant injuries, Newell said, "No way I am letting that guy come in here and get hurt, then suffer a lawsuit and lose my camp. I mean, how many people would come to Camp Cato after that?"

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Cato's mom...hehehehhehee.

12. Sane

Sane Member

From our team, I'd love to see Mo, Collier and Cato go there.

I'd still like to see Griffin learn to play SF rather than PF. Is there a guard camp or SF camp?

Anyways, it would be great if our guys went, look at what it did for Camby.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with Sane and Thanos,Mo,Cato,and Collier all should go to the Big Man Camp.Mo in particular could benefit a lot.
    I don't know if CD plans to work with them after we finalize our team.

14. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Give Cato a break. He needs some free time to spend his money.... ;)