1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden is no joke; will vote for him again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and Astrodome like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden no joke #1 top D&D thread 6+ months.

3. Major

Major Member

Was he wrong? Did the MLK assassination have a global reaction like Floyd did?

George gets brutally murdered for the whole world to see it. You’ve never seen — and I come out of the, I was a kid when Dr. King, I came back from law school when Dr. King was assassinated. And when I came back, my city [Wilmington, Delaware] is the only city in America occupied by the National Guard since Reconstruction, because a significant portion was burned to the ground. I came back, I had a job with a good law firm, and I quit and became a public defender.

But even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did. Because, just like television changed the civil rights movement for the better when they saw Bull Connor and his dogs ripping the clothes off of elderly black women going to church, and fire hoses ripping the skin off of young kids —all those folks around the country that didn’t have any black populations heard about this, but they didn’t believe it, but they saw it. It was impossible to close their eyes.

Well with George Floyd, what happened to George Floyd, now you’ve got how many people around the country, millions of cellphones. It’s changed the way everybody’s looking at this. Look at the millions of people marching around the world, the world.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's not wrong at all but it just irks me to hear MLK's name in the same sentence as George Floyd.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

It's not like he said it on MLK Day - it was an answer to a question during the George Floyd stuff at a random campaign event in June 2020, a few weeks after the the Floyd stuff happened.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FJVL4lhXEAQcYYH.jpeg

7. Fantasma Negro

****ing pathetic. This society is ****ing garbage

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

#688 Air Langhi, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

Kaepernick? You compared Martin Luther King Jr to ****ing Colin Kaepernick? Your generation is brainwashed

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think you missed the point. MLK was a great man, yet he was hated as much or more than someone like Kaepernick who will never be on the level of MLK.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is obviously no guarantee Biden can win re-election but I don't think it is guaranteed that he will lose. It's pretty much the norm that when things go bad in the short term people like to play up the Presidency as doomed and when things go good people play it up as though it's the greatest President ever.

Again there is no denying that Biden had a horrible week last week and so far is having a pretty bad winter. Other Presidents have had bad stretches in their first term only to be reelected overwhelmingly. Reagan, Clinton and Obama all ran into big trouble their first terms only to win reelection handily.

jiggyfly and dobro1229 like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

none of them were 82 years old and aging quickly when they were reelected though

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What's crazy about how we've changed in our political commentary over the years is it pretty much consensus that LBJ didn't run for re-election because his popularity was down due to Vietnam, yet we have consensus with the MSM and the right wing (I certainly don't agree with them) that pulling out of an unpopular war is a big reason why Biden is so unpopular now in polling.

If there is any truth to that then boy we really have a problem with how accepting and embracing of war our society and media has become.

But I do see alot of similarities in both presidents either way. LBJ's great society and the Civil Rights bill mirror what Biden is working to get accomplished with BBB, and the voting rights bills. Also both are coming into the presidency after a huge moment in history where we were attacked and have wounds not really healed yet along with lies, and distrust.

LBJ's failure politically at the time is what then led to Nixon which really kicked off the era of the corrupt Republican party and the injection of racism into every bit of political messaging which culminated with Trump... oddly who shared many connections with from his attorney mentor and his closest confidant and I'll go on a limb and say January 6th ring leader in Roger Stone. I swear it's like everything is a timeloop coming full circle.

If Biden, a president who will likely be viewed as very very good in the longrun, cannot pull himself up politically in the short term like LBJ could not, we could be looking at the next Nixon legacy on the right which does keep me up at night. It's going to be a fascinating year and holding Congress in the midterm so Biden doesn't get crippled is the first major hurdle.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Hillary could be the next Nixon: lose a race, sit a race out, come back and win the next race

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

sentencing of the 'protester' who torched a Minneapolis business during the Floyd protests

https://www.startribune.com/10-year...deadly-pawnshop-fire-during-unrest/600136780/

Judge goes below guidelines, gives 10-year term to man who set deadly Lake St. fire during unrest
    The prosecutor argued that 26-year-old Montez Lee Jr. was a protester, not a rioter.
    By Paul Walsh Star Tribune

JANUARY 18, 2022 — 6:20AM

A federal prosecutor told the judge he saw the defendant as a protester, not a rioter, and argued for leniency for a Rochester man who was accused of setting a deadly fire in a Lake Street pawnshop soon after George Floyd's death.

The 10 years of prison time given to Montez T. Lee Jr., 26, in U.S. District Court in St. Paul last week fell well below federal guidelines and follows his guilty plea to arson in connection with the fire that engulfed the Max It Pawn store in the 2700 block of E. Lake Street on May 28, 2020, three days after Floyd was killed while in police custody in south Minneapolis.

The remains of Oscar Lee Stewart Jr., 30, of Burnsville were recovered from the rubble nearly two months later. An autopsy found that Stewart died of smoke inhalation and excessive burns. He was one of two people who died during the civil unrest in the Twin Cities that followed Floyd's murder.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas Calhoun-Lopez's presentence filing said that Lee was in Minneapolis not to loot or destroy property but was "in the streets to protest unlawful police violence against [Black] men, and there is no basis to disbelieve his statement."

"[There were] many people who felt angry, frustrated and disenfranchised, and who were attempting — in many cases in an unacceptably reckless and dangerous manner — to give voice to those feelings. Mr. Lee appears to be squarely in this … category."

Calhoun-Lopez invoked the words of Martin Luther King Jr., champion of nonviolence during the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, and noted that King told CBS-TV in 1966, "We've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard."

Defense attorney Bruce Rivers said on Monday, a federal holiday in honor of King, that he appreciated that the prosecution "showed insight as to what the case was really about" by agreeing with him that Lee was motivated solely by how he viewed the treatment of Black people by police in recent years.

"I thought the prosecutor's words were incredible and thoughtful," Rivers said. "It is too often that we are on one side, and they are on the other side. ... I found myself quoting the government in my [sentencing] position paper more than once."

Surveillance video footage showed Lee pouring an accelerant around the shop and lighting it. A second video captured him in front of the burning business and declaring as a friend video-recorded his actions, "We're gonna burn this [expletive] down."

Lee was not specifically prosecuted for Stewart's death, and he claimed to not know anyone was in the building before grabbing a can that the defense said he found at the scene and pouring out the accelerant.
    more at the link

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So glad we voted for Kanye

18. dobro1229

I swear Hillary is what you guys accuse Dems of being like with Trump. She's only relevant in the right wing propaganda that you obviously indulge in where they obsess about her.

She's not running. She's not relevant.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

what do you mean, "you guys"

20. dobro1229

Do you want to know who you mirror and echo on clutch fans? I’m sure that list is something to be proud of.

You spam right wing propaganda. “You guys” refers to the other usual suspects here who consume and share right wing propaganda.

Is that the answer you were hoping for?

VooDooPope likes this.