1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best way to sell Yugi-Oh cards?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So my son has a whole gaggle of Yugi-Oh cards that he doesn't want anymore. For those that don't know, it's a silly Japanese card game similar to Magic the Gathering and I hate just about everything about it. But he wants to sell his cards now so I figured I'd help him.

When I was a kid just about every town had a shop or two that bought and sold all types of cards (sports, gaming, whatever). These days I don't see any of those types of places anymore and haven't gotten much luck searching for them on the internet. I have concerns about selling them this way because I figure they'll just offer him $5 for the whole box and then turn around and sell them individually for way more than that. So I'm kind of averse that that solution. But the alternative (to me, anyway) is just Ebay or Craigs List.

Are there some possibilities I'm not thinking of? Anyone know of any remaining card shops that would give a fair price for these? Just looking for a little help. Thanks in advance.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You may consider moving to Japan in the year 2000 to get higher than $5 for the box.

(Sorry). If I could get someone to give me $25 for the box I'd feel great.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I feel like you would be lucky to sell them for even $5 dollars now. I sold my set of pokemon cards (well into the thousands) with at least 100 really rare cards on ebay for 100 dollars about six years ago. This was when some people were still into yu-gi-oh/pokemon. I did my research back then and no shops in town were interested in buying a bulk set of of cards unless you were selling Magic (not sure what is special about this game) cards.

4. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

give them to one of your friends kids for a birthday

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have no idea about this particular game, but I'd research on Ebay to see if any particular cards are bringing more than others. If you have a few of those, sell those individually, then bulk sell the rest for whatever.

If the money isn't that important, just give them away to someone that would enjoy them that can't afford them, perhaps. Teaches a good lesson about giving. Then pop him an extra $25 for his birthday.

6. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnczksTB4us?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnczksTB4us?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

7. Yak

Yak Member

Not sure where you live, but if you're near Scarsdale, there's a card store called Strike Zone that will buy them in person or you can mail them the cards.

I JUST sold my Magic the Gathering collection to them for $1650 a few weeks ago, and I felt they paid a good amount. Of course, I bought virtually all of these cards from Strike Zone around 8 years ago and resold most for double what I paid.

However, my collection of MTG cards was pretty good, and they went through each individual card and they ranged in value anywhere from .25c to $55.

Anyway, I don't know the value of YGO cards or your son's collection, but here's their website:

http://shop.strikezoneonline.com/BuyList/Yu_Gi_Oh.html

Click on Singles and sort through your son's cards to see how much they'll pay, but also keep in mind that they will drop the price anywhere from 20% - 50% to not even buying it if the cards aren't in absolute mint condition.

If you can't visit their store, you can mail the cards in to them.

Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Damnit if you weren't one of my bros I would so be dropping the douchehammer right now on this thread.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

what year is this?

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

My suggestion is to go hang out at some elementary school playgrounds, or maybe Chuck e Cheese and ask little kids if they'd like to see all the cool stuff out in your car.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Awesome, I've got tons of these cards I'd LOVE to sell.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My son has a vast collection of Magic cards, but he still plays from time to time. Over the years (me buying them, of course), whenever he'd open a new pack or deck, I'd ask him if he'd got something valuable and often the answer was yes. Last year, I suggested that he look into selling some of the valuable cards while they are still valuable, and he just shrugged. Paying for him to go the a university out of state gets me nothin'. Nothin', I tell ya!

14. liljojo

liljojo Member

Haha, Yugioh. Sold my brother's deck for $300 back in middle school. He wasn't too happy at the time, but we split the cash, and now were both $150 richer.

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You might as well keep them and play a few duels. The game isn't bad. Its pretty strategic.

16. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

what cards?

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Do Yugioh cards even hold any value anymore?
    They had some stupid **** about the "three god cards" that went for hundreds on eBay a long time ago.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Yak. I think we'll take the cards to Strikezone and see what they would give us for them.

And thanks to everyone else for supplying the very-much-expected smartass remarks. You guys are the wind beneath my wings.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member