1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best value for land in the Hill Country?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by texanskan, Dec 31, 2017.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Can some of yall in the know give me an idea on the best value locations in the Texas Hill Country?

The places I would visit years and years ago have gotten expensive.

When I say value I mean everything not just cheapest per acre price I can just Google that.

Thanks

2. body slam

body slam Member

how much are you looking for and what are you planning on doing with it?

3. texanskan

Few acres maybe up to 10.

Build a house eventually that's all

4. body slam

body slam Member

If you are going to do 10 acres you might want to see how many acres you would need for ag exemption. I think 14 but not sure. Then buy 1 or 2 extra acres for home.

texanskan likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Canyon Lake.

jsingles likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

all these small ass field towns between dallas,san antonio, austin... will go up in price. I need to buy land but I need to pay for my sons tuition soon.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1) buy land
    2) drive Uber on weekends
    3) ???????
    4) son's tuition is paid for

8. body slam

body slam Member

look around Rockdale/Milam County land is still reasonably priced and Austin is headed that way

cheke64 likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im thinking more of port aransas and mcallen. Need a pit stop when I go to mexico and a beach vaction.

body slam likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Rockdale area is ugly as hell. My wife's grandmother has 20 acres out there.

It really depends on what you consider value. Location near a big city? Cheap? Pretty? I personally like the land around Bastrop. More pine trees vs cedar, but it's hilly.

cheke64 and body slam like this.
  11. body slam

body slam Member

Rockdale may not be much to look at, but Milam county still a good value compared to Austin, Washington, and Fayette Counties.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

there's these apps they have that let you search via a map for homes and see the prices and everything!!!!

sorry... i don't know exactly... i am curious, too... ha!

13. Buck Turgidson

Don't do it. There's nothing up here you want.

But in all seriousness, I can help with most any questions you have. Gonna need more info from you though.

Deckard likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree with the area around Bastrop. Shame so much was hurt by the fire.

15. Buck Turgidson

That's not the Hill Country though. West of 35, North of 10.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are you going to homestead on your acreage? Do you care about having a good well, farming, etc? Basically what are you wanting to do with the land?

West of I35 is great for scenery and that’s where the hills really are hills, but the soil really starts to be more rock than soil and if you want to be off a river you’ll be paying a pretty penny. I’m thinking anywhere from Boerne to Lampasas to Possum Kingdom. You go West of 35, you just might have issues with water, and the droughts will kick your tail.

If you go south east of 35 you can find some great value around the “German territory”. My family had property out in a town called Round Top. Not a whole lot of trees, and hills, but it’s good soil out there, you are closer to Houston, and you can easily put a house on any piece of land with your own pond, and do whatever you want.

#16 dobro1229, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. texanskan

Thanks,

Looking for a nice spot to chill and maybe one day retire and live full time.

I am willing to sacrifice amenities like some of the larger towns have for a better value on scenery. Also this is a long term thing so maybe an area that with more local knowledge you can say will eventually be a hot spot.

All the places I went in my youth have gotten way more crowded and expensive.

Very familiar with most of the places between San Antonio and Austin. Never really been North of Llano/Fredericksburg

18. Buck Turgidson

Haven't forgotten about this, waiting to hear back from a couple of ranch realtors.

texanskan likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

What places are you burned out on, or not interested in?

Look around Tow/Bend area, up the Colorado from Buchanan Dam. Still close enough to get into town in 30/45 minutes or so. Go West toward/past Castell on 29 toward Mason/Junction, and towards Brady too. North of Llano there's some remote stuff toward San Saba. eta: buddy of mine lives outside of Bergheim, there's nice country back in there. dbl eta: Some places are 20+ per acre, some are in the 10-20 range, and some, like the ones above are still 5-7ish. Check North of Fburg toward Doss too.

That's what I would do if it hadn't already been done for me by my family. I just sold 17 acres across from me at Double Horn, 18/acre, we put the well in 5 years ago and perimeter fenced the whole place. B/T Marble Falls and Spicewood, 2147 to County Road(s) whatever....google that stuff.

I believe they've changed the regs on drilling a well on property less than 10/15 ac. (stuff that is not grandfathered; and the permits/PEC fees for new ones have skyrocketed). You also can't get an agricultural exemption without some hoops (# of animals, they have to be breeding...you can't put 2 jackasses or horses on your place and get an ag exempt, for example)

Do you want to be close to:

Town: groceries, girly shopping, place to watch a game and have a beer/burger....don't underestimate the need for this.
    Do you boat? Do you want to be near a river/lake?
    Do you want to be near places to go camping/hiking/etc... Parks and whatnot.

So...long story short:

1. Find the area you like, close enough to go to town if/when you need
    2. Pre-existing water
    3. Fences (good fences make good neighbors, as the saying goes)
    4. ???

There's a gazillion different little county roads with cool places, but you'd never find them without a local or a local real estate agent.

#19 Buck Turgidson, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    texanskan likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Best land to hit up is somewhere between cali,Colorado, and Texas.