1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Tablet for Kids?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wreck, Feb 13, 2012.

1. wreck

wreck Member

My nephew is turning 7. His mom is always having to share a laptop with her so he can draw (paint), netflix and other entertainment purposes.

Naturally he doesnt need a whole laptop so I was thinking of getting him the Kindle Fire. Price is not that big of an issue but of it doesnt make sense that a child would need something too expensive. So I'd rather get him something that is 200 other than a laptop which would be double that.

Does anybody have any experience with giving children tablets as opposed to laptops? If so which laptop would you recommend, maybe one with a good size screen. And also is there any sort of parental controls? Dont want him to accidently get into sites that he shouldnt be on.

Thanks in advanced.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kindle fire.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ipad. My 2 year old knows how to use it. My android tablet requires more skills because its not as intuitive.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

iPad will have the best collection of apps, including kids games and entertainment, but I'd probably say the Fire. Mainly because you'll feel less bad if something happens to your $200 purchase than your $500.

6. dharocks

dharocks Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

word... whats a 7 year old need a computer for? get him some damn legos or something.

8. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

[​IMG]

You're welcome.

9. wreck

wreck Member

Actually he relatively good at legos and he loves drawing. But yea i get how ridiculous it sounds for a 7 year old to have a tablet... but he does great in school and since he doesnt have cable netflix provides a great selection for kids.

also with short days like this in the winter going out in the park (near my neighborhood) is not very safe. Summer he's usually at the park or playing tball.

10. wreck

wreck Member

part of me thinks your joking but the ipad does have a lower learning curve. and i do like the screen size.

11. BleedRocketsRed

I am sure a 7 year old can figure it out with time. It really isn't that difficult.

Don't see the point in buying a kid a $500 tablet when you can get a decent one at $200 (Kindle Fire or HP Touchpad if you root it and put Android on it). We are talking about a kid, the $200 one does everything he can possibly need.

12. Uprising

Uprising Member

How hard could it be to press icons?

13. wreck

wreck Member

LOL. In other words, lazy parents. Well one of the main reason we have a laptop for him is because when he watches netflix on tv he doesnt actually watch it, he goes back and forth between activities. So then nobody gets to watch tv, because he likes to have cartoons on. with a laptop or tablet, he can just leave it running and still allow his mother to watch tv and he can go back and forth.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

And the best thing about the box is the "CAUTION: ELECTRONIC TOY" in the top corner...

15. wreck

wreck Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. More than likely we'll stick to the fire, that way he can benefit and also use it as an e-reader. Cant expect a 7 year old to take care of an expensive device.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I would've laughed a year or two ago if someone told me they were getting an iPad for their 7 year old kid, but I have a co-worker who wants to get his kid a tablet so he can be exposed to computers early. The kid is 3. About the only thing the kid can do right now is pee on it.

17. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Too be honest I thought the same thing a year or two ago. My wife has an Ipad2 and my two year old can unlock with with the 4 digit code. She knows how to go through all the pages and get to all her "things" like movies and games. I am amazed when I watch her go to the movies go up and down to select the one she wants, click it and hit the play button. Then when she is tired of watching it she knows how to go back by touching the screen to stop and click done. The most amazing thing is she freaking plays angry birds. Sometimes the birds go backwards but she is happy either way lol. Just today I saw her going through the market to preview different kids shows.

18. Asian Sensation

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, I've been there. Just wait until they start paying for college!

If I were you, I'd consider looking into refurbished iPads. Not sure where to get them, and how much cheaper they are, but it seems crazy to pay full price for something he can drop on the kitchen floor and turn into junk in an instant. Other than dropping it and busting the thing, it seems like a nice idea.

20. pmac

pmac Member