1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Center in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Aug 18, 2008.

?

Best Center in the NBA

1. Yao Ming

252 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

52 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Andrew Bynum

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Greg Oden

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. Others

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. jlwee

jlwee Member

Dwight Howard:
    Strengths:-
    (1) Excellent athleticism(quick and incredible vertical for his size)
    (2) Excellent rebounder
    (3) Excellent Shot blocker
    (4) Good post defender
    (5) Young, yet to reach his peak so rooms for improvement
    Weakness:-
    (1) Poor free throw shooter
    (2) Limited post moves
    (3) No range i.e. can't hit jumper
    (4) Turnover prone
    (5) no court vision

Yao Ming:
    (1) Excellent free throw shooter
    (2) Excellent post moves
    (3) Range up to 3 point line
    (4) Underrated post defense
    (5) Okay shot blocker
    (6) Average rebounder
    (7) Good passer, good court vision
    (8) Height and size
    (1) Stamina issue
    (2) Injury prone
    (3) Turnover prone
    (4) Slow and not athletic at all(cant jump high)
    (5) Peaked

Andrew Bynum
    (1) Young
    (2) Good post moves
    (3) Excellent rebounder
    (4) Excellent shot blocker
    (5) underrated passer
    (1) Injury prone; durability issue
    (2) Poor stamina
    (3) Poor post defender for his size

Greg Oden
    Honestly i never watched him play before, not even in the college as i am not able to watch college basketball so the belows are all based on what i read about him.
    (1) Good rebounder
    (2) Good shot blocker
    (3) Good defender
    (1) Limited offensive moves

Others
    Andrew Bogut
    Shaq
    (Duncan and amare are not included as they are POWER FORWARDS)

Personally I selected Dwight Howard simply because he dominates 27 other teams with his raw power and quickness. You know how to stop him because of his limited offensive game but you can't. Simply because he is too strong and quick. The 2 players that can limit Dwight are Yao and maybe Shaq because they are bigger and heavier than him thus limit his power game.

Yao is unstoppable against traditional centers and one on one coverage but every coaches in the league know how to limit yao, how to take him out of the game. They are :-
    (1) Play him physical ala Okur style
    (2) run him to death ala Suns' style because of his stamina and lack of speed
    (3) Front him ala Najera and Josh Howard style
    (4) Double him hard!
    and these work 7 out of 10 times. People may argue Dwight Howard can't play late in the game because of his poor free throw shooting but we also saw many times Yao get sub out late in the game during defensive possession because he lacks of quickness and rebounding.
    This is what i see Dwight has the slight edge over Yao!

Bynum on the other hand is an interesting prospect. If he had the right attitude, continue to work hard every summers to improve his game, keep in shape, control his body weight, i can see him surpass bith Dwight and Yao in the next few years. That is a big IF though!

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hard to say which is best because they're so different. For me I'd think of it more as a stock kind of a thing. From this point forward, who's career would you rather buy stock in? I would choose Howard because he's already in the discussion with Yao Ming and he's so much younger and has a lot of room to improve.

Plus, if Yao Ming gets injured again and misses significant time there will be growing questions about his future in the league. He could become someone like Ilgauskas who really can never be relied on to be with the team a full season.

3. NADman

NADman Member

Don't forget, the corrupt gambling NBA referees is Yao's main kryptonite!

4. bewy

bewy Member

Lol

Of course everyone will vote for yao since this IS a rockets' board.

Well for me, it's dwight Howard no doubt, ya you heard it, i am really tired of yao's injuries.

5. Chamillionaire

yao, of course, yao owns dwight everytime they play, yao makes other players better, plays on a better team and is overall a better player.

dwight is much more athletic, but yao is better at this point. when dwight is 26-28... he's gonna own the league.

oden, haven't seen him play against legit competition. hard to say.

bynum is a tier below these guys imo.

6. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I approve this message.

7. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Yao is a very good rebounder, and he is not 'injury prone' either.

Fronting and doubling doesnt work well with yao actually as it frees up another player on the court which means an open shot for somebody. With our line up now teams are definitely gonna pay for it.

Suns cant run and gun anymore with shaq in their lineup either.

8. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

actually dwight howard is an overrated post defender and a pretty weak shot blocker. with his ridiculous athleticism and length he has only once averaged more than 2.0 bpg while always playing 30+ mpg. that's really, really bad for a so called top notch defender and shot blocker.

overall, this is no contest. yao is much better than dwight. dwight is better in exactly one single category and that's rebounding. every other aspect of the game either goes to yao or is a draw.

and btw you don't say player x is better than player z because player z is injured more often. you compare players when they are healthy. and when all centers are healthy yao's easily the best of them.

9. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Yao will go down as one of the most skilled players to have every played the game, for a person his size.

Dwight Howard, although an athletic "freak" is a unsatisfactory shot-blocker for someone with his athletic ability, and has limited post moves and has no jumpshot, something that is inexcusable.

I also prefer to watch someone who is actually skilled, and understands the game, and plays with a level of selflessness (Tim Duncan)

The only factor of the game where Yao would somehow be deficient is his stamina, I don't think his lack of vertical or lateral ability hurts him very much.

If basketball weren't a guard's game, Yao would be event a more dominant force.

10. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Also wanted to add, why is Oden there?

Dude has not proved a damn thing, its all hype at the moment. Its amazing people have already included him above or equal to Bynum, when he hasn't done a damn thing.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There are only 2 realistic possibilities here. Well nevermind. Just one.
    [​IMG]

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

yao is the best. But when the best can only play 60-70% of a season, i take the 2nd best everyday.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yao is the best Center, now.

I still laugh at the way everyone throws out these comparisons between the two over their careers. The dude's 22, of course he got owned when he was a teenager.

Is it really surprising that he's only hit certain milestones now? I think he's doing a pretty good for a 22 yr old.

14. mig0s

mig0s Member

I will report you and you should get banned for sinning. Howard is good because...he superman dunked? Yao sucks because he got injured? Man Yao owns Howard anytime, period.

Ban him!

15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Dwight Howard can't score at will..that's what separates Yao from him. Yao is better

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Banning people for having differing opinions?

Yao is a better offensive player and right now is a better overall player, but dhoward is 22.

17. fangzheng911

fangzheng911 Member

i voted yao,

if have another choice, maybe i will write dh

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sincerely,

Sam Bowie

19. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Yao easily, destroys him on the offensive end in every category except FG%, but that's becasue Dwight relys on his teammates, Yao doesn't need his teammates that much, Yao also is a better man to man defender and isn't as far away from his D and Dwight is to Yao's Offense

Yao > Dwight
    Look at my Sig and Ask Ron Artest

Michael Jordan also said Dwight Howard is NOT the best center today.

20. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

NO AMARE IN THE LIST? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME :eek: