1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Behad and All BBQ Experts.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How do you smoke meat? The reason I am asking is because I recently went to the Arkansas State Fair and had one of the best things ever: a smoked turkey leg. The only problem is the damn thing cost $6! :eek: I can buy a 6 pack of turkey legs at the local Kroger for that much and probably less at Wal-Mart. About the only thing I know about smoking meat is that you need to soak the wood chips in kerosene..I mean water :p . That's really about all I know though. I don't really have a smoker but I do have a big ass BBG griller (charcoal not gas) and I've heard you can smoke meat with one of these just as well as a smoker. How long do you soak wood chips? How long do you smoke the meat? What is the most/best flavor of wood? Do you use charcoal as well as wood chips? How do you set everything up? Should I season the meat or will the smoking give it enough flavor. Please Behad and other BBQ experts list all helpful and relevant information. Thanks!!! :)

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Where's BigTexx when you need him?

3. Lil Pun

or Behad?

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Two words: YAHOO SEARCH.

5. Lil Pun

No thank I'd rather get this info from a Clutch BBS member than a random website.

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

bahhh! Yahoo blows... I think you meant to say GOOGLE SEARCH!

;) :p

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The way you smoke roast meat is by never having the meat over the flame. Some of the best smokers look like oil drums turned sideways. You build the fire at one end of the smoker. Soak the wood chunks in water for 30 minutes. Put the chunks on the fire to get the smoke going. Place the meat fat side up on the other end of the smoker, and then close the door to the smoker and let it go.

You can find the best smokers in the world (I own the Wild West Tradition, and I love it), plus tips and techniques, at:

New Braunfels Smoker Co.

The other tip: When you grill, use any kind of wood you like. When you smoke, use pecan wood only!

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'd soak the legs in brine (salt water) over night, then season them with your favorite seasoning (like Tony Chachere's, but with extra black or cayenne pepper....because the legs will already be salty from the brine).

Use your pit, and build a smallish charcoal fire on one side. Put your legs on the other side so that they're not over direct heat. You can put your soaked wood chips directly on the fire. Soaking them is supposed to make them produce more smoke, but I don't believe that. What soaking really does is keep them from being consumed as fast because it takes them longer to burn. It also adds water vapor to your smoke which gives the illusion of more smoke. Water vapor isn't a bad idea though because moist air is good for roasting meats. That's why most Viking ranges are "dual fuel" ranges....that means the cook top is gas and the oven is electric. Why? Because electric ovens burn dryer than gas. You can always add moisture (like with a drip pan) when you are roasting meats, but you can't take the moisture out for when you want to do things like bake bread.

Instead of wood chips, I'd probably throw on a few wood chunks. They'll produce the smoke for you, but they'll also burn longer and produce heat (you'll need to smoke these bad boys for a while). Try to keep the heat between 300 and 350, and cook them for a couple of hours. You can also put a tray of water directly over the fire to keep the air moist inside the cooker.

The best wood is pecan....especially for poultry, and you can get a BIG bag of pecan chuncks at Academy for just a little money.

This time of year, you can usually buy turkey REAL cheap. I'd probably buy a couple of whole turkeys and smoke the legs, wings (the best part), and the thighs. Keep the whole breast along with as much skin as possible. This you can roast or deep fry, and it will be excellent!

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I completely defer to Behad on this one. My skills lie in eating BBQ, not preparing it. I think Pole is also good at this BBQ, perhaps he could help.

10. Pole

Looks like RMTex and I wouldn't argue too much about how to grill and smoke.

11. Lil Pun

Wow, I have never heard of pecan wood as being good smoking wood but you guys give it a lot of compliments. I've also heard that apple wood is good but what is wrong with traditional woods like hickory and mesquite? I'll look for pecan if I can find it. Also do I wait for the charcoal to ash over then throw the wood chips on or throw the chips on when I flame up the charcoal?

12. RocketMan Tex

Nope. We'll save the arguing for other topics!:eek: :D

13. RocketMan Tex

Wait 15-20 minutes. Then put the wood on and put the meat on immediately after you've put the wood on.

14. Lil Pun

If I keep the temp. between 300-350 as told, how long do you think it would take to smoke meat? Give me a table too if you don't mind like:

Chicken:

Turkey:

Beef:

Pork:

etc?

15. Lil Pun

Also, whenever I type "how to smoke meat" "smoking meat" or whatever else half the replies are p*rn sites.

16. Pole

That's like saying, "can you quickly tell me how to play the guitar like Stevie Ray?"

All meats, and for that matter, the various cuts of the same meat, can be cooked differently. In fact (I'm surprised no one pointed this out), the temperature I gave you for "smoking" your turkey legs is really more of a roasting temperature. You'll get plentry of smoke flavoring in your turkey with that temperature, but you'll also get the crispy skin and juicy goodness of a roasted meat.

If you want your turkey leg to be closer to a "true" smoked turkey leg, you'll want to bring the temp down a bit to around 250 to 275, but you have to be careful that you cook that thing long enough so that it's really cooked.

A more "happy" medium would be to set the temperature at the 350 that I mentioned and then let the fire burn down in such a manner that an hour or so after you've started, the temperature has come down to around 275 or a bit lower. If it was beef, I'd drop the temp even lower. How do you do that with your grill? No one here can tell you.

Grilling and smoking meat is an art, and no amount of help from us can make you an expert. You need to get out there and "just do it." As you cook more and more, you'll discover what you like and how to duplicate that taste, aroma, texure...etc.

The good thing about cooking on the grill is that its hard to screw it up. As long as the meat is cooked through and through and not overdone or burnt, it should be good. When you're cooking decent sizes of meat at low temps, there's a HUGE window from which to remove the meat and it will be good. Only by learning how to cook on your grill (through trial and error) will you learn when to take the meat off at the right moment where it's perfect.

17. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

I know what I am eating tonight. Can't wait for supper Pun.:p

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Doesn't yahoo use Google?

19. Lil Pun

Actually, I'm going to do it Saturday or Sunday because smoking takes hours at a time to cook the meat. Sorry, I think we're having pork roast with gravy tonight though if you like unless you-know-who wants to go out and eat.

20. Lil Pun

Also, what's a good brine recipe to soak my meat in and how long should I soak it?