1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Be Honest About Epic Beard Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 3, 2010.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Haven't started a race relations thread in a while, and I bit my tongue and didn't post a comment in the other thread because honestly I felt no sympathy for the guy who got beat up.

But do you believe there are people who are happy that the old guy was white and the young guy was a black punk.

Listening to conservative local talk show host Michael Berry yesterday, the guy brings up the video as if he had something new to talk about. He posted it on his web site as if people hadn't seen it. His commentary on the video was sickening

Paraphrased, you will be happy this guy beats up this thug, its one for the good guys, for all those stories you here about rapists and murdering thugs, this one is for the good guys.

i was like wow, you're gonna associate this kid with rapists and murderers? I personally had no problem with the repeated thug description

but reading through the thread, it amazed me how many times I saw white guy vs. black guy, its like a huge elephant in the thread that I really didn't see addressed.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that was the whole point. You have never seen Gran Torino? Old white dude taking out minorities is in.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i don't know their names. i used "white guy" and "black guy". I also said "old guy" at some point.

I would have been happy if an old black man had beat up a young white punk who was acting like an idiot.

But yes, I do believe that there certainly are people who are happy that the old guy was white and the young guy was black. Your question is asking if racism still exists.. yes, I believe it does. I don't think that's a revelation though.

2 people like this.
  4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Absolutely. That theme is the driving force for the video's popularity.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

copy/paste

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can't we just have a "does racism still exist" thread that can be bumped anytime there is some insignificant event that hints at racism to illustrate that most of us non-ostriches know it still exists?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this video is a phenom, i'm not talking about some people who are racists that will never go away

i'm talking about the specific reaction to this video

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The black guy claims he's 50 years old, so I don't see the "I'm happy about an old man beating a young punk" angle.

Even if he's not 50 he's not young, there's no way that guy isn't at least 35.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4I1r3dhMUO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4I1r3dhMUO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why it's obvious there still is. Keeping a thread up just feeds it more. There willl always be people who hate people for the color of their skin, the sound of their voice and even the smell of their food. It will never stop and it is more rampant than anyone wished to acknowledge. Even in a sport that is dominated by one race there are still racists that watch the games. I remember when George Foreman won the Olympics and I was so proud of him and still hearing others talk of him as another N... People who think Racism is gone or wrong but we have come a long way and anyone who won't acknowledge that or also wrong.

10. Bandwagoner

the reaction to the video has been broken down many many times.

1. Amber Lamps
    2. Keep our city safe
    3. Beard
    4. Motherbleep shirt
    5. racist camer girls

many many more. It was a perfect storm of win.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

don't disagree, everything feeds on everything in the video

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Naturally.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The funniest thing to me is how different Michael sounds on the bus compared to his interview.

Guess somebody advised him to turn the ebonics down a notch after Amber Lamps.

14. Bandwagoner

Speaking of Amber Lamps, why are they not posting in this thread?

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He says he was drunk, and I think that was probably the case. I do wonder how different the reaction would have been if it was a drunk 50-year old white guy encountering a crazy 67-year old white guy and the same thing happened.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think many people described the two idiots as white guy and black guy because they didn't know their names. When describing a fight between two individuals, most witnesses will probably describe the combatants by their physical appearance. A persons race is commonly used to describe an individual, as is age, hight, hair color, and whether the person is fat or thin.

I know in regard to this particular incident, some people have also described the two idiots as old and young, and some have also noted one person has a beard.

If you are trying to describe someone and you don't know their name, I don't see anything wrong in mentioning what their race is.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Oh put it back in the deck"

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Definitely the old white guy pounding the young black guy was the biggest hit.

Hey as an old white guy I liked it. Old guy power. Let's face it we are afraid of young punks, white or black.

However, I still think there would be quite a bit of good will if you had a 67 year old black guy pounding a young white punk.

I was proud of grandpa. Let's face it grandpa has probably had his time on the streets, was a big guy and was crazy, so he had his advantages, too.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't disagree, everyone loves old people

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'll admit it, YES, I was glad to see this guy get his ass whooped. And his race had at least something to do with it.

When I stop and think about it, through no action of his own, I wanted to see his ass get beat down. It was totally the girls behind the camera. All in all, the initial dispute was no more the fault of Mr. Amber Lamps than Epic Beard Man. Now, Mr. Amber Lamps brought on the ass whooping by taking that initial swipe, but both people were pretty much equally stupid at the beginning.

However, it's frustrating as hell to hear a girl yell "Beat his white ass! Beat his white ass!" when I've grown up being taught about the struggle for racial equality. I'm 25, and grew up in a school district that was roughly 50/50 between blacks and whites while I was in school. I can honestly say that I heard a lot more African American students make racially motivated verbal jabs towards whites than the other way around while I was in high school. In my experience, it seems like young black people might now be more comfortable with making overtly racial statements towards whites than young whites are to blacks. Is this a hard and fast rule? No. Does this mean one race is more racist than the other? No. I think you have different groups engaging in different types of racist behavior. Is this just my anecdotal experience? Yes. Could I be wrong? Yes. Is your experience likely to differ from mine? Probably.

I'm just saying that I grew up witnessing the type of behavior displayed by the girls at the back of the bus. It was nice to see whitey beat Mr. Amper Lamp's ass just to stick it to the chick with the video camera.

2 people like this.