1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier, Hill.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Azim da Dream, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

In keeping with the theme of comparing draftees with current NBA players, I heard this one the other day; Shane Battier to Grant Hill.

The similarities may go beyond the fact that they both spent four productive years with Duke.

Many of the knocks on Battier; no distinct strength to his game, lower ceiling for potential and not athletic enough were the same worries scouts and GM's had for Hill when he came into the league in 1994. They are both considered stand out guys, articulute and possessing of the intangibles of what it takes to be a leader. Also, like Battier, Hill has always been considered a solid all-round player.

So, can Battier possibly reach the same level of success - individually at least - that Grant Hill has enjoyed in the NBA? There are a few differences -- Hill was a better ball handler than Shane is while I don't remember Grant being touted as the best defender in college basketball, as many feel Battier was this season.

I think if there's any chance the Rockets can move up, they should by all means go after Battier. At worst, he will be a reliable role-playing leader with character. At best, who knows???

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
    - Geroge W. Bush, commenting on the troubled continent, to reporters in Sweden

2. Tmo

Tmo Member

Athleticism was NOT a concern w/ hill the way it is with Battier.

------------------

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Did you guys read the reports that noted that Battier had outperformed Eddie Griffin on many measures of athleticism. Especially, I remember some reference to a measure of lateral movement.

I think it was the Hawks. Set the scouts to buzzing. Reportedly, Battier chimed in, "A little more athletic than you thought, huh!" or some words to that effect.

I think Battier is very under-rated. Remember he shared the ball with Jason Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer, et al.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

4. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Yes, I read that as well. Apparently, Griffin (or some other highly touted athletic 3-4 man) and Battier were going up against each other in a drill at the Hawks workout. The drill consisted of dunking the ball consecutive times without missing or quitting from utter exhaustion. Griffin managed to reach around 60 before collapsing to the floor in exhaustion, while Battier made it to 70. Apparently, he only stopped because he had lost his footing and missed a dunk.

All in all, I agree that Battier's athleticism is underated, as is his entire game.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
    - Geroge W. Bush, commenting on the troubled continent, to reporters in Sweden

5. Digaida

Digaida Member

It was Jason Richardson who went up against Battier in the "superman drill". It's in the Tuesday Houston Chronicle.

------------------

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

Eddie Griffin is overated. The people who do the drafting know Shane's value. He is a proven comodity, unlike all the young talent in this draft.

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Battier is damn good, but in comparison to Hill, Grant was clearly a great talent early on. Very althletic. You could see it on the court. You don't see that with Battier. However, Battier brings a different type of game. Maybe a better one.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Battier is no Grant Hill. Grant Hill was a more dominant college player (remember, he lead a Duke team with just about nobody else of quality to a even game with 5 minutes left against a phenomenally loaded Kentucky team), and has much greater athleticism. Battier does not have the athleticsm of a Hill, McGrady, or Snottie a few years back. However, I do think a sort of worst case senario is Battier has a long career as a good all around 3, sort of like Brian Russell, and may be a notch better. I don't think he will be an allstar, but I'd love to draft him, even if we give up all 3 picks to do it.

9. tacoma park legend

I'm a little wary of Battier, even though I'd draft him in a second.

He was on a majorly stacked team in college where he got about the easiest shots possible and was never counted on to create for himself.

I'm not too high on his dribbling skills, he doesn't have a midrange game, and he can't shoot off the dribble.

These things could hurt him on some teams, but he would be a nice fit on the Rockets as all his good qualities would be put to use.

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Azim: I'm not talking about the Superman drill. It was various kind of movement drills and the part that I remember had to do with lateral movement where Battier amazed the scouts in attendance with a performance that surpassed their expectations. Wish I knew where I had read it.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

11. jamsey

jamsey Member

yeah that's why he's such a good help defender. one of the fastest laterally which allows him to show and then get back to his man. don't know about him lots of good points - he was on a team with four or five future lottery picks so maybe he didn't get the ball...can't create on his own, etc. but i remember coming from high school, he was the number one recruit, player of the year, etc. over tracy mcgrady who went ninth in the draft. i tend to think battier might be very good in this league though...his defensive skills will definately be an asset (taking charges, leader, talks on the floor, the best help defender available) on any team he plays for next year

------------------

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I think Battier is more like Manning, skill wise.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

13. SlamN

SlamN Member

The comparison is ridiculous. Hill was far more athletic than Battier. Hill can also create his own shots and drive to the basket. Battier beat out Griffin (or Richardson) in lateral movement and endurance tests but who cares? Its how he moves and plays on the court at gametime that matters. He has trouble creating his own shots (lack of quickness or handles). Battier is a good player but not a Grant Hill.

------------------

14. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

grant hill is an elite athlete and a "lock you down" defender. battier's defensive reputation is built on, as previously noted, his ability to play help defense. shane's not on grant's level in terms of either athleticism or on the ball defense. but shane battier is a better shooter than grant was. in fact, battier is a better shooter than grant hill is after so many years in the league.

i am skeptical of battier's ability to create off the dribble, too, but he can more than hold his own with the mid-range jumper.

------------------

15. Falcon54

Falcon54 Member

You guys we don't need a Shane Battier to create his own shot. We need someone at the 3 with size to knock down open jumpers, run the floor/hustle, and play D. He gives us all that including the ability to defend the Garnetts, TMac,s and Kobes of the world. We don't have that on this team at that position. So yes, Battier is not G. Hill but we don't need him to be - WE have Stevie and Cat for that.

------------------