1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Baseball] Huge 3 team Blockbuster Trade in place

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Egghead, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

Lock it up if it has been posted

From - http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Palm Beach Post says a tentative agreement has been reached, despite Gammons' comments. Here's the deal:

Marlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash, prospect from Red Sox
    Red Sox get: Jason Bay, John Grabow
    Pirates get: Ryan Tucker, Jeremy Hermida, one prospect from Red Sox

More from Gammons. The deal is definitely not done - the Bucs aren't yet satisfied with the players they'd get from Boston for Bay. Nothing has been done in regards to Manny's no-trade or paperwork to the Commissioner's Office.

Gammons expects this to go right down to the wire.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I cant imagine Manny Ramirez playing for another team other than the Red Sox. But this deal looks good for Boston they get young player in Jason Bay, Bay's salary is way less than manny's, bay has similar numbers to manny. John Grabow is a soild relief pitcher.

Your thoughts on this deal..

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

At least it doesn't involve the Yankees.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

We already got Pudge today.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Damn, I was expecting Ed Wade to do something stupid again.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It is sick if the Red Sox end up with Jason Bay. Baseball is so unfair.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good for Jason Bay.

7. lalala902102001

I don't think that Jason Bay is a better player than Manny in the post season. The Red Sox are not helping their chances this year. And in baseball, this year is the only year that matters (cough Wade cough).

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This Sox fan hopes the trade doesn't go down. Manny produces. Big mistake to let him loose even for Bay.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Baller4life: 1/2 drunk before

Baller4life: Find out his favorite Pirate was just traded

Baller4life: Cracks open bottle of Vodka #2

10. silkmandarin

silkmandarin Member

Bay is no way the player Manny is, even with his antics. Manny is an absolute Yankee killer (bats like .500 against them). But, if this deal helps the Sox bullpen, which has been shaky, it might be worth it for them. I hate the Sox so I hope they do trade their best offensive player.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Marlins absolutely baffle me.

They are eternal sellers. They will not pay a dime to anybody, ever. They continue to trade good prospect after good young player away.

And then they go after Manny?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bay is better than people realize. No, he's no Manny but then again is $14M extra really worth the 3-4 clutch at-bats Manny gives you over Bay?

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Trading Manny <<

14. hjg877

hjg877 Member

You gotta understand how the Marlins operate. Larry Beinfest and crew aren't "eternal sellers." They are very careful with how they spend money and are phenomenal talent evaluators.

Essentially they hoard young talent, let them play and contribute. As "star" players develop and get closer to the end of their contracts, they trade them away for more prospects and future talent.

Here's where the philosophy of the Marlins comes in: Are they giving up on players prematurely? Perhaps (although Dontrelle and Miguel aren't doing so hot in Detroit). But the potential for solid years of their prime to contribute are limited, and gives Florida more value down the line by trading one solid guy for 2 or 3 young potential stars.

The biggest benefit is the cost savings. By trading a guy who is in his prime, they avoid paying massive long term salaries and arbitration.

Now Florida does have a history of buying when they think they have a good chance (Carlos Delgado). Plus the team did make Hanley Ramirez part of their long-term future with the contract extension.

Basically the Marlins operate like the Oakland A's and Billy Beane's Moneyball way...except it's proven effective. Expectations for the Marlins the past few years has been dismal, yet they field a very competitive team with great talent evaluators and the right hires (Fredi González as manager).

I can only name one pitcher, the one who got the no-hitter as a rookie a couple years back (Anibal Sanchez)...and he hasn't even pitched this year recovering from a torn labrum.

15. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

From what I understand, Boston is going to cover most if not all of Manny's remaining salary for this season as part of this trade. I think he has team options for next year which I highly doubt at $20 mil the Marlins would pick up.

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

All I know is they have 2 rings and the Astros have none. :(

17. Lil Pun

In less than 2 decades.....in existence! :eek:

18. Lil Pun

Pudge isn't exactly on Manny's power level. Pudge is a nice pick up though.

19. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I've read that part of the deal is that the Marlins will decline the option, and offer arbitration, which Manny will reject so the Marlins get the compensation picks.

If the Marlins are giving up Ryan Tucker and Hermida, I think the Red Sox are crazy to send those 2 to Pittsburgh for Bay (and I'm a pirate fan). Hermida is already a good player, and has the potential to be ver good. Ryan Tucker is an excellent starting prospect.

I would love to get those 2 for Bay, but I think Boston is too smart for that.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

There's only so many crappy minor leaguers he can trade for crappy major league players.