1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baqui99 in South China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Baqui99, May 11, 2006.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Greetings from DongGuan city, a manufacturing town located about 40 miles northwest of Shenzhen. I'm down here until the 22nd visiting power supply factories for quality improvement initiatives. The area around here is kinda boring so I'm resorted to my room in the evenings after dinner. Also, as a psedo-metrosexual Bangladeshi-American, I stick out here like a sore thumb.

I got into Shenzhen on Monday via train after spending the weekend in Hong Kong. HK was badass as usual. After spending roughly 24 hours in transit from Austin, I spent an hour at the hotel before heading out to Lan Kwai Fong (HK's answer to Bourbon Street) at 11P. Since you can drink on the street, I picked up 2 tallboys of Tsingtao Draft (the Asian Pabst Blue Ribbon) for equal to $1.50 USD. A few Jaeger shots later, I was hitting on some blond chick for awhile. Turns out she was there for study abroad from USC. Of course, I busted out laughing, giving her the Horns, and calling Leinart a fehg. She got her friends over there and they were all pretty disgusted and talked about how much they hate Texas. They then stormed out of the bar pissed off. Eventually around 4AM, somehow, I made it back to the Grand Hyatt and passed out. When I woke up, there was some residual vomit in the sink and next to my bed, which the housekeeping later cleaned up nicely. Spent Sunday doing some hungover sightseeing at Victoria's Peak.

Anyways, on Monday, I crossed the border into Shenzhen. Shenzhen has over 11 million people, and all the growth seems to have occured within the past 10 years or so. Beautiful glass skyscrapers are coming up all over the place, with lavish architecture. There are a lot more cars in Shenzhen, almost all late model, that jam up the streets. Buick, built at Shanghai GM, seems like a premium brand down here.

After visiting with some internal guys on Monday, we came down here to DongGuan. The entire area is filled with electronics factories, with huge dormitories on site. Factory workers move to these towns from the countryside for work, and reside in the dorms. It's amazing to see just how many people there are down here. Anyway, long story short, the growth in South China is just amazing with new high rise condos coming up left and right, all over the countryside. It's easy to see that China is prospering like crazy these days. More updates as they come.

- Baqui99

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pooper

3. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I'm originally from HK myself, and it never ceases to amaze me how Shenzhen has grown each time I visit. Also, don't forget to pick up some imitation goods before you leave Shenzhen. There's plenty of cheap (probably imitation or pirated) DVDs, shoes, clothes and accessories at the shopping malls. Lan Kwai Fong was bad ass for me last time too, I ended up hooking up with some hot australian girls. Enjoy yourself!

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Not yet. As far as I know, I'd have to go down to the hotel bar and pay for that kind of action...stay tuned.

5. flipmode

flipmode Member

doesn't this belong in 3:16?

wait, this is clutchfans