1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Band] Rush tour breaking news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Breaking Rush news from your favorite Clutch BBS Rush fan and for all you Rush brethren out there:

Oh yea! Get your Rush on next year!

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Jacob's Ladder or GTFO. :cool:

From reading Neil's book on his different drum kits, Taking Center Stage A Lifetime of Live Performance, the band think the song hasn't aged well and have sound checked it during the Time Machine Tour but won't play it.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

How about this:

All the World's A Stage (in it's entirety)

[intermission]

Exit...Stage Left (in it's entirety)

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Looking forward to it. Last time around was pretty different material, so it was a unique and very good Rush show, but they could do that again and select a better list imo, so I'm eager to see what they choose.

Fountain of Lamneth ftw.

5. mateo

mateo Member

I didnt see Clockwork Angels live, but I did watch on cable...and it sounded like Geddy was having some issues with the high notes.

Was that a bad show, or is he losing range?

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

It's pretty easy to pick apart his vocals these days. I've seen many fans doing it. I don't really get into it, though, because what do you want him to do...retire? His voice is not what it used to be. But, to me anyway, it doesn't detract from the music much unless you are fixating on just that aspect of the music. Yes, he will sing and his voice will sound strained at times while at other times he will struggle with certain notes. It's pretty much a given these days. It's still good enough and it sounds good recording in the studio. But, the rigors of the road and tour do take a toll on his voice. It doesn't recover as well from show to show like it used to. Some nights will be better than others.

8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Hell yes, I was JUST listening to Exit Stage Left as I was logging in and came to this thread :grin::grin::grin:

If they could minimize any songs made after Grace Under Pressure that'd be cool, but I'll probably end up seeing them anyway. One thing I will say is as much as I love Geddy, his voice hasn't aged nearly as well as the music they put out in the 70s and early 80s :(

They better play "A Farewell to Kings"!!! Great song from a great album, but they haven't played it since the late 70s!!

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Surfguy when it comes to Rush from their Debut to Grace Under Pressure you're not a bigger fan than me :cool:

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

hmmm...not sure about that...but maybe so. I don't fixate on eras of Rush. I like all of Rush...some more than others. But, while I'm a fan and they are my favorite band, I'm not a fanatical Rush fan by any means. I do admit I follow them on a day-by-day basis, though, to see what the members are up to. There are so many hardcore Rush fans out there that go way beyond my fandom. I will say that I play a ton of Rush on guitar and learned most of those songs by ear. I've also been to a lot of shows but not an insane amount...usually one show per tour. But, I didn't really get into Rush until 1983...so I was kind of late to the party from that vantage point. To put that in perspective, I didn't really come on board until the "Signals" album came out.

#10 Surfguy, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Sounds exactly like me, only got into them a bit late but have kept up with them ever since. I still recall a half full upper level at the Summit for the Test for Echo tour in '97, that was the bands low point with Alex and Neil fighting on stage, verbally at least.

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Why were they fighting? I thought that was the album where Neil left because of personal reasons.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I doubt they were fighting. I'm not sure what he is talking about. One thing about the Rush guys is they don't really fight. It would have been minor. Neil left after the "Test for Echo" tour wound down when his daughter Selena died when her car crashed after sliding off an icy Canadian road on her way back to college. Then, Neil's wife died a year after that from a broken heart pretty much but it was cancer. Neil came back around 2000 to rejoin the band and start the lengthy process of making "Vapor Trails" where Neil had to regain his chops.

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I was in the first 10 rows and saw Alex acting well, like a total rock star; telling a chick to get her rack out while soloing. After the song he went over to Neil's side and rearranged some of Godzilla figures to look like they were attacking him but the professor was having none of it! He shook his head at Alex and just mouthed NO!!

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Alex would be a comedian if he wasn't in this band. He is so funny. Not only that...he's one hell of a painter as well. This guy just exudes talent in whatever he does. I don't know if you saw him in the Rush documentary (out on Netflix by the way) but, at least on the DVD, they had a video extra where the band went to a fancy dinner with the documentary film crew in tow. The guys proceeded to get blitzed on wine and the resulting dialogue and video was just too funny. They truly are a bunch of dorks.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Saw them in 1979.

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Anyone been to the site in Galveston where the Permanent Waves album cover was shot?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw them at the Music Hall in October of 1974. I hope they play Austin!

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

They need to announce: "We're playing nothing but (really) old stuff for 2.5 hours"* -- that would be incredible.

*(Pre) Power Windows music

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/meJ55HPJ3xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>