1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back up 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

So let me first say that I love Nene and appreciate what he's done for us the last few seasons.

That being said... I really think we need to think about upgrading that position at the trade deadline. Capela has been balling out of his mind but I'm starting to worry about his minutes coupled with the amount of physical exertion he has to do every single night (god forbid he get hurt we would be up a creek in a HURRY).

With the additions and play of House/Rivers, I'm actually fairly happy with our wing depth and I think we need to now focus our attention to bolstering the 4/5 spot. I'm not sure who we could acquire (even if we can acquire anyone with Nene/Chriss contracts on the books) but I think having a backup big that can add 15 Min of + play would be huge for this team currently assembled.

D-rock likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The 4/5 spot doesn't exist anymore, it's dead, or at least in hibernation.

We play one center and a bunch of perimeter players, sometimes we don't even play the one. The backup center won't even see minutes when we play the Warriors, so no this isn't a significant issue. Nene is a perfectly adequate backup center.

Every resource we have needs to be invested in a significant wing upgrade.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have to agree with the Clubber of Seals. Another wing/PF allows Tucker to play more small ball center...
    or at least have the rotation playoff ready with flexible lineups set.

Some players I’m looking at are from teams that may be sellers due to record (by trade deadline):
    SF/PF’s (free agents this summer.....UFA, PO, RFA)
    Player...........................current salary............pts...............3P%
    Oubre................................$3.2M....................12.4...............32%
    DeMarre Carroll................$15.4M...................10.2...............35%
    Alec Burks.........................$11.5M....................9.9................37%
    *Lance Stephenson...........$4.5M.....................7.4.................39%
    Harrison Barnes................$24M...(PO)............18.2...............42%
    Jeff Green..........................$2.3M.....................11.3...............35%
    Anthony Tolliver..................$5.8M.....................4.7................40%
    Bazemore...........................$18.1M..(PO).........14.0...............33%

Portis...................................$2.5M...(RFA)........11.9................25%
    Vonleh..................................$1.6M.....................8.0................40%
    Mirotic..................................$12.5M...................17.4...............35%
    **Markieff Morris...................$8.6M....................11.5...............33%

**Markieff was my top target; but I have backed off Morris since a neck issue developed
    *Lakers may be a playoff team. If they want Melo, I want Lance in return. Morey wants KCP.
    Harrison Barnes would be great but I doubt Cuban would take the B Knight contract needed to get it done..Div rival.

I’m guessing small deal might be made now but real deal will be at trading deadline using B Knight contract.
    Trading for Rodney Hood could be a dark horse candidate. Best easy deal to me is for Vonleh.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We need someone beefier than Capela and healthier than Nene.

Bo6 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Our wing depth may be good, but the quality is garbage, easily bottom 5 in the league.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member