1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Award for Best Hands for a WR 2008-2010 goes to......

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stack24, May 23, 2011.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

You guessed it everyone, Kevin Walter!

Interesting stats here to check out the best and worst in the NFL at drop percentage. They did the stats based on catchable balls for each player to make it more accurate. Overall the article is a pretty good read for stat junkies.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/

Since 2008 Kevin Walter had 164 receptions off of 169 catchable balls, only dropping 5 of them to beat out Larry Fitzgerlad.

#1 Stack24, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nice article, thanks for the read.

3. blackistan

blackistan Member

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Now if he could just get open more than once or twice a game.

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

No, I guessed Andre Johnson.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He definitely didn't produce last year, but the passing game on the whole sagged.

I've held for at least a couple of seasons that the receiving corps makes Schaub, not vice versa. Last year cemented that in my mind, and you could probably lump Walter in with Schaub.

Ric pushed a theory that Schaub is a rhythm QB that was off kilter last year because Foster's run game took away from his passing downs. IMO, it had everything to do with Johnson and Daniels. The entire season, we never had them together playing at even 80%. I think that changed everything.

AJ unable to stretch the field, OD not a danger, and teams could play Walter honestly. He's not a speed guy, he's just a good pair of hands that is expected to find the midfield soft spots in the coverage. I don't believe they were there like they were a year prior.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Dink and Dunk strikes again.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

WT? "Randomly, here's something Ric said a year ago - in a completely different thread, that has absolutely nothing to do with this topic - that is wrong, IMO."

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ETA: And FYI - that was my theory for Kubiak calling too many passing plays, especially early in games; not to explain any issues with the passing game. I mean, seriously; talk about random.....

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Try not to get too outraged Ric. If you get all huffy you might spill some of Bob's water!

Edit: By the way, I'm just busting your chops this time so don't get mad

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I lost my autographed Kevin Walter football.

mini football.

not sure if it's at work, under my bed, in my closet.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I value Walter highly, but how many of these are short, underneath, and intermediate routes. Not saying Walter isn't more than capable....

Andre makes anyone lining up opposite of him infinitely better due to the space / single coverage.

13. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

good article, thanks. somewhat unexpected, but it makes sense because walter catches a lot of the shorter routes

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with the fact that he doesn't get thrown at very often. Smaller sample size.

He's basically option #3 after AJ and whoever is playing TE. He'll get you about 3 catches for 40 yards per game. Maybe a TD every 3 or 4 games.

Personally, I think we can do better at that position. Don't resign Jacoby and throw a little extra money at a solid #2 to take the load off of AJ. *cough* Sims-Walker *cough*

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I agree with this.

Probably also doesn't hurt that in 2008 and 2009 AJ was in straight up beast mode.

And in 2010 Foster went apescat.

Walter has always benefited from being surrounded by great offensive talent to take the pressure off, so I'm guessing the majority of balls that end up thrown to him aren't instances of Schaub "forcing the issue" to him.

That being said, Walter is solid. He reminds me of Joe Jeruvicus/Brian Finneran (lol racist sports comparison ftw). He'll give you a consistent 50 catches and 600+ yards.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

stealing apescat.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for those using dink and dunk type passes as a knock against him, i don't understand.

1) he still has to catch the ball, which is the entire point of the analysis. 2), walter has a fairly average yds/catch...and isnt too far off from Fitzgerald's last year. It isnt that ridiculously low. 3) Part of his job is finding the soft part of the zone and that is typically underneath.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm still taking Fitzgerald, without a slight after-thought.

Not surprised about TO being near the bottom over the last 3 years, wouldn't be surprised over the last 10, either.

I'm actually surprised about Moss; Steve Smith; and Wes Welker.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. he's not getting double-covered. asking a guy to catch a ball in double coverage or when he's being keyed on is entirely different than asking a guy to sit in the soft spot of the zone while someone else opens space for you.

2. he's not running fly patterns...turning around squaring up to the ball or running crossing patterns are easier catches to make than running down the sideline and trying to haul them in over your shoulder or running under the ball.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Woulda been Samardzija if he played.