1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery Johnson used to coach the Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, May 5, 2010.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hornets seek permission from Blazers and Jazz
    By Mark J. Miller
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Hornets-seek-permission-from-Blazers-and-Jazz?urn=nba,238494

The New Orleans Hornets aren't alone in the search for a new head coach and the team has apparently identified four of the gentlemen it would like to take over for Jeff Bower who Hornets fans have got to hope does a better job in the front office than he did on the coaching sidelines.
    One of the men the Hornets may end up hiring is former Houston Rockets coach and New Orleans native Avery Johnson. He team also is apparently talking to Mavs assistant coach Dwane Casey, who also supposedly has some interest from the Los Angeles Clippers and Philadelphia 76ers.
    The two new names to add to your list if you're keeping score at home are Utah Jazz assistant Ty Corbin and Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams. The Hornets have apparently asked these two teams permission to speak to Corbin and Williams, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

When did this happen?

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think they are talking about the assistant coach, Elston Turner. New Orleans gave him a call.

3. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

This whole article is screwed. From former Houston Rockets coach to the beginning of the next sentence starting with "He." Fail article.

4. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Member

Avery did play for the Rockets at one point.

5. juicystream

juicystream Member

I think they were looking for Dallas Mavericks. Avery never coached here. Only team he has ever coached for as an assistant or head.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody clicked the "Send" button too soon.

7. Blake

Blake Member

I thought he was an assistant coach for the Spurs at one point.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

what the hell :confused:

9. BleedsRocketRed

Only thing rockets related AJ wise...

[​IMG]

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I wouldn't mind having AJ as the coach after RA retires, which I think he will after this.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

wow, I remember when Ty Corbin played for the Timberwolves, and Monty Williams playing for Portland and the Knicks

With Scott Brooks, and former coaches AJ and Byron Scott, I can finally relate to the old school fans that said they remembered with the Phil Jacksons and Rick Adelmans playing in the league and now coaches

12. Kim

Kim Member

Does he still live in Sugar Land, or did he move once he joined the Mavs organization?

13. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

He lives in The Woodlands.