1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Autistic boy gets bullied by the schools' staff.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Apr 25, 2012.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

No, that's not my intention, at least not in this case.

I fight anybody for parents I help, including teachers. But I do advise parents not to pick up the fight if the only beef is that they feel their kids not getting ignored, not progressing as expected, etc, which is not this case here of course. But I am just saying for those type of complaints, you work with teachers instead of putting them on the other side. Often I see parents themselves lack paying attention to their kid's well-being and fully rely on the teachers. That really turns me off. To be honest, the Dad in the video gives me that kind of feeling. Well ,again, not defending the teachers or diminishing what they have done. But I am saying the Dad, instead of busy making youtube video telling everybody that his kid's is moderate-severe and cry for justice, he should be taking some substantive actions, IMHO. For one, I thought he could take actions in making sure this will not happen by putting a little more force before talking to the school, like getting an advocate or lawyer, if he feels his son is so wronged by the teachers. The bottom line I think he is stupid. :cool:

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

And then he should've talked to a lawyer instead of making a stupid youtube video.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

No such thing as autism. The kid just needs to get some fresh air and ride a bike.

2 people like this.
  4. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

And then he would have been accused of going to the legal system too quickly and being a gold digger.
    You also ignored the fact that you didn't read the article and made a lot of assumptions yourself.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Predictable.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not me. I am a lawyer.

Look, his son's well-being is his number one priority here. If I were him, I would not advertise that my son is morderate-servere even if I don't mind knowing it, the poor kid has a right of privacy too. The drama and suspece just turned me off. He thinks he is a news reporter or what? I sincerely hope the youtube video would help his son get treated better by the school. But you never know, it could make it complicated if you have some hardball sitting up there in the district office. In that case, it would make it worse. I would never advise parent to put out video on the internet so the school gets "indirectly" pressured. Serve them the paper or a complaint letter signed by a lawyer if you have to.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

And it will get swept under the rug. Teachers will get reassigned, not fired, and it will continue happening to some other kid. Just like the entire Catholic church thing. For years it was handled internally, one-on-one basis. Priests were reassigned. Families were paid off to hush. No one knew it was happening to other families and not just to them. It didn't blow up until more people knew it was happening. If he had gone directly to them, people like me would never have known of issues like this. Other families in similar situations know they are not alone. Social pressure like this has been real positive in affecting change. That's why people do it.

8. Granville

Granville Member

If you mean that... You are an idiot. If you didn't...you are an idiot for thinking t was a comment worth posting.

I have a severely autistic 15 year old non-verbal son that requires 24/7 attention. My wife sacrificed her career to take care of our son and even with that it takes sacrifice from the rest of the family to care for him.

I'm not going to go point by point for everything in the tape. But the tone and phrasing of some of the things the teacher said go against everything you are taught when dealing with these kids. Routine is the glue that keeps these kids together ( as you can get them together) and it's not likely that child was spoken to in that manner at home. I don't blame the Dad for being angry. Not sure that I would go make a U tube video though.....

That said, I'm not going to blast folks who try to educate and provide therapies in general because not many people volunteer for that tough a gig with as little resources as they have available. They also have to deal with parents who are often hanging on by a thread emotionally and financiallty because of the stress of raising these kids.

1 person likes this.
  9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Social pressure, whow, sounds like China. You are killing my job security.

Seriously, I wish this is how it would play out to be. The higher up in the Cherry Hill school's district get media requests and angry calls from parents asking about the video. But he better has the said facts right on the video. You think the school district just gets pushed like nobody without having their attorney check on this? And if the district find out if there are outs without legal consequences, poor kid, I would pack up and move to another school district if I were him. If he had to for the benefit of his son, I would rather be a badass litigious parent than a youtube drama queen with socal pressure in the backpocket. If he is thinking he is fighting the general cause for autistic education with this video, he is a fool.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Agreed.

11. Granville

Granville Member

With Tort Laws it is very difficult to win a suit against the school district. The biggest thing that comes from a law suit is when the media picks up the story and they get pressured from the public. I guess the Dad is trying to accomplish this through Youtube which would build up steam a lot slower than going to other route.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Crucify the b**** by making her do community service while wearing a huge sign that says "I abuse autistic children" and let people spit on her.

#52 ItsMyFault, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

saw this earlier on reddit this is just horrible these teachers and aides i dont get how they werent fired already

no child, autism or not, should be treated or talked to like that.

i am just speechless

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

All good points, rhada. I'm married to a kindergarten teacher, so I guess I'm a little sensitive about parents always being so quick to blame teachers while at the same time totally neglecting their parental responsibilities. Perhaps that's just my personal bias rearing it's ugly head. But that's another thread I guess. You're right, there is really no excuse for a teacher calling a kid a b*stard, etc. Especially a special needs child.

On this, I have to agree with YallMean and Granville. I don't blame the dad for being angry. I don't even blame him for wiring his kid to get to the bottom of what's happening. I just have a hard time believing making a YouTube video is the best way to go about solving the problem. Doesn't the kid have a right to privacy too? Now his name and his condition are all over the internet for the whole world to see.

My 8-year old nephew is autistic and I can't imagine his parents going this route if anything like this happened at his school.

1 person likes this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well I don't know the facts so I can't tell you where his cause of actions lies. But not necessarly only under torts, every state is a little bit different. Of course, there is procedure for that and often it gets resolved before gets to the court. Typically, school gets really nervous when it is played right. Now as to reassignment of an equally incompetent bad teacher as replacement as the result, what you going to do? That's why there is private school and folks pay a lot more to live in a good school district.

Social pressure, maybe, but why are you automatically on his side of story already? Maybe I have seen too much for my own good, this is not the worst, not nearly, I have seen. Behind that closed door of the class, 6 hour day, a lot of stuff happens. Well I better be careful before people accuse me of diminishing. I am sure other speical ed teacher can say something about this too. Anyways, the point is I would start the complaint procedure if there is a cause of action if I were him or else work with those jackasses or just move.

16. Granville

Granville Member

A moderately or severely affected Autistic kid most likely wouldn't care.

17. professorjay

professorjay Member

Oh stop acting impartial yourself. You give the teachers the benefit of the doubt this entire thread but continually cast aspersions on the father.

The frustrated teachers are allowed to lash out at his child and yet he can't post a YouTube video?

1 person likes this.
  18. Granville

Granville Member

The school district eventually had to admit that were not equipped to handle our son (after they injured him trying to restrain him) and they outsourced his education to a private school. Things are much better (will never be perfect because Autism sucks) at the private school which has a focus on Autism.

Because what I heard was wrong. I know from personal experience how hard it is to deal with the school district admins, They have to know that you are not a joke and you will do everything possible to get their asses fired if they don't take appropriate action. It sucks but it's true. My wife and I operate a support group for families living with Autism and we have heard so many stories of being steamrolled by the School Districts.

19. rox1

rox1 Member

I can't believe some of you are giving the teachers benefit of doubt (aka defending). I applaud the efforts by the father.

P.s. both my parents are/were teachers.

1 person likes this.
  20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, why are you so sure advances in Autisim research will not get it all figured out? ;)

There are mis-diagnosises too, a lot. The diagnosis right now is behaviour based, i.e. the 5 out of 7 categories, which can be very innaccurate. Even if the diagnose is correct, many of kids improve their awareness as they get older and older. All in all, we know very very little about autisim and you can't be telling me they don't know so we can tell everybody they are.

The point is I wouldn't tell the whole world without the ability to control the spread of the video on the internet that my son is moderate-severe autistic if I were him for those reasons unless I absolutely have to.