1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Time Warner Carries ESPNHD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by halfbreed, Sep 17, 2004.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to HDTV, and to my surprise TimeWarner here in Austin now carries ESPNHD. It must be a brand new thing because its not even on their website. If you want, I'd call TWC Houston and see because it should be available there.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Somebody please point me to a CHEAP and FAST way to get HD content without having to shell out so much money for cable AND an HD converter... my Hitachi 53" widescreen is HD capable, but I have NO HD reception...

HELP!

Yes, I'd like to get ESPNHD, but I have no cashola... :(

3. halfbreed

Swoly - sadly you'll have to get your HDTV through TWC. The HDTV converter they offer is 10 bucks a month. The tier for ESPN is 10 more a month. On top of all that, you have to have Digital Cable.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, there are several HD-tuners available on the market that enable you to receive over the air channels in HD... as long as you're in a city that has them (like Houston).

Also, direct TV and Dish network offer cheaper, and better, HD options than Time Warner does. (including ESPN HD)

5. halfbreed

Thats only if you dont currently have a dish. My dad has one and he cant get HD through his dish without buying a brand new dish for about 200 bucks and then shelling out 200 more for an HD reciever. Either way (cable or sat) it's pretty expensive.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, you could always cancel your dish service and sign up for the new HD deal with the other of the two companies (provided that you're not locked into their 1 or 2 year contract agreement).

I've done this, and several other people I know have done it... in order to take advantage of new services like the free DVR and free HD installation.

Also, I'm assuming Slowly doesn't have a dish, considering he just said he's got the TV only.

7. halfbreed

Gotcha, certainly an option

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Check out www.voom.com they have the most HDTV programming available at the moment.....

9. Stack24

For Time warner it is only like 8 bucks more a month and you don't have to pay to buy a HD converter it's part of the package and any time they get a new one and upgrade you can do that for free.

10. drapg

drapg Member

Unfortunately, b/c of a stupid tree in my patio, I can't get Voom or DirecTV. So I'm stuck with TVMax b/c I can't get Time Warner either.

TVMax is a ****ing joke. Their digital cable is NOT digital.

So I'm using an OTA HD Receiver to get all the local channels in HD until I move and can get Voom.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Don't go to Voom unless you are willing to lose a few local channels. The concept of Voom is great and when they get the locals over the dish then they will be hard to beat. The current downside is the off-air antenna. I can't speak for all locations in Houston. I live in Spring and all the locals came in except 51 :eek:

Plus Voom's service leaves a lot to be desired.

After 1 month, I went back to TWC. They gave me 20 bucks credit per month for for Dish Buy Back (just show proof you had a dish), for 12 months. They game me 15 bucks credit on RR for 6 months.
    They also waived the HD installation.

If you have TWC, get the DVR. It is f^&*ing awesome!

12. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Starting on Wednesday, September 22, TWC Houston will add ESPN HD to it's channel lineup on channel 292. This was according to an article by David Barron in the Chronicle.

It's about freaking time. Just in time to see UH get smoked by Miami.

13. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Awesome find jtotheb... this is indeed some great news for long-suffering TWC-HD subscirbers.

Honestly, I have no idea what took them so long... people would much rather use the HD technology for sports, rather than the discovery channel or something like that.

15. Stack24

When i first heard about ESPN HD i went to the outlets here in houston and spoke to them as well as the representatives on the phone.

They told me the reason they are taking so long is becuase they are trying to work out the deal between TWC and ESPN to get it on their package. The problem was that ESPN was asking for a lot of money for their channel and TWC didn't know how to approach it. The were trying to find a way to add the channel without making people pay extra for that channel. Originally they were saying that people would have to pay a little bit more a month to get ESPN HD added to their already paid for HD package which i thought was crazy.

Good to know they finally worked it out.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

FWIW, ESPNHD is available on DirecTv also. One of the worst HD channels IMO; often not that high def, distorted, etc.

You do NOT need digital cable with Time Warner to get HD. I got the HD cable box for around $8/mth + $10 or so for the HD channels. The HD box works great with my HD-ready TV.