1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attacking Capela: Why did the Rockets change their defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, May 11, 2019.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm trying to log this game and analyze it correctly. Probably need some help classifying plays such as: the initial attack play is stymied, but then a secondary play is run. Is that considered an attack against Capela? Anyhow, I made a table and don't know how to post it. I'll add video analysis later in this thread. I tried taking my mind off this crap but I can't sleep so I'm just going to break down film and ponder to myself (and y'all) why the hell the entire defensive identity changed for this game.

I mean, this is a switch all screens team and fights for team rebounds and always tries to have defensive position. Yet in this game, every time GS attacked Capela on the screen, the Rockets trapped and tried to rotate like traditional PnR defense, something which the Warriors mastered exploiting since way before Durant. It was like, instead of playing small, MDA thought that Capela needed to have productive minutes, but in order for him to be out there, the Rockets had to play defense differently. These were the results: (again, I've logged it in a table but suck at formatting for display here)

19 possessions where GS attacked Capela with the ball screen in half court.
    Most of these were trapped and rotated, leaving GS playing 4-3, and when the shot is off, there is an extra offensive crasher unaccounted for. For those 19 possessions, the resulting action was:
    5 for 7 on 3pters created by attacking Capela and swinging the ball (1 of the misses became an OR from the unaccounted for extra rebounder that lead to 2 fts)
    5 for 10 on 2pters, with one OR putback (due to the trap losing a man to cover) and 1 drive foul for 2 fts.
    19 possessions attacking Capela, 30 points scored,
    Offensive Efficiency Rating of 157.9!!!! What the hell?

I'm just shocked at the complete change of defensive identity in this game and its complete failure. I just don't get it. Is Capela that integral to the offense? The Rockets were terrible at traditional PnR defense (iirc this season) and the Warriors feast on traditional PnR defense.

At the end of the game, the Rockets imo, actually did a decent job of contesting and finally getting the rotations proper. But Curry and Klay just hit tough shots, and they can do that. The Rockets failure will be magnified in crunch time, but it's of my opinion that their biggest failure was not being able to put a cushion between them and Warriors so that they could absorb crunch time heroics. Their PnR defense was just trash for the entire game and even though Capela was the attack point, it was the failure of the entire team defense to execute that concept.

But again, why the hell was this change implemented for this game? Their defensive execution the last 3 games has been pretty excellent the less and less Capela played. I just don't get it. You spend 2 years building a defensive identity, your opponent finds a weak player to exploit, but then you find a suitable replacement in Rivers (and sometimes Shumpert) and yet you bail and switch to a strategy that yielded a 157.9 rating to the other team.

malakas, tinman, BigM and 3 others like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Maybe pringels got same agent as Capela :) some real life stuff for grownups but decisions like that from puppet like pringels dont come from nothing. Everybody seen Nene outplay him and Clint being useless

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  3. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

The real question is why did we not trade Capela when it was so obvious he is unplayable against the warriors? He was **** last year too. But this year he diminished his trade value even more.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's already tons of video out there on why Capela can't guard Curry 1-on-1. It would be gratuitous to post them here, but I may later to reinforce the point. So I get why MDA and Bzdelik were afraid of imposing that strategy. But why the hell didn't they pre-switch. It happened at the end of game 5 (even though GS got the offensive rebound, it wasn't because the Rockets didn't have rebounders in position). It was a nice defensive set:

Stopping GS from Capela exploitation: Pre Switch

But instead, they went traditional all game long in game 6 and got burned to 1.6 points per possession. What the hell? It's like they got lazy and were willing to accept open shots. Accept nothing!!! You don't let Golden State expand their roster by matching the expansion and not punishing them for their defensive flaws. It was like MDA thought it was okay to allow both flawed strategies to score at will, and then take over in the end. That's crazy! GS can make tough shots against good defense. You NEED a cushion before crunch time, imo. This is the BS that the Rockets were allowing all game long when GS wanted to attack Capela (19 times in 31 minutes in half-court sets, easily GS's plan A and plan B vs the Rockets)

Stopping GS from Capela exploitation: Traditional PnR Defense

malakas, cbs1507, BigM and 2 others like this.
  5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Great analysis pulling these clips. Honestly, part of the blame falls on coaching not getting the players prepared and then the other part is on the players not executing in-game. The Warriors are blessed with genius level BBIQ players. It’s why they could adjust in one game and Rockets could not.

BigM, Kim and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Now this is how you do a next day vent thread. Productive and educational. Fantastic.

7. andersongo

andersongo Member

If your big can't guard the perimeter, then you better just concentrate on dominating the board and not giving up second chances at the rim. Houston couldn't do either and that was game.