1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At this point do you still want The Rockets to make playoffs or get the worst record?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 23, 2010.

Tags:
?

At this point, which do you prefer?

1. Rockets make the playoffs

112 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Rockets finish with a bad record to increase lottery chances

101 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Do you still want the rockets to keep playing & making transactions and play older players and not develop the younger ones, so they can make the playoffs or do you want them to post a bad record aka tank so we can get a high draft pick?

2. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

There should be a poll attached to this thread.

The Rockets should try to turn things around somehow, and try making the playoffs. Next June, the draft won't really be all that good anyways.

IMO, Yao is playing in his final season with the Rockets.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I will side step this question like Gary Kubiak does his at the Texans press conferences, I want them to develop their young talent and see how well the older players do playing together before Feburary rolls around.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I want them to play out the season, get healthy and go for it.

Once February rolls around, it will be time to reasses the situation.

DD

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

^This... I want everyone to be healthy and try there hardest and if they fall short then at least we know this team isn't capable of winning a championship or doing deep in the playoffs. Don't want another season of "let's give this player____ another go and see if we can win around him or with him."

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. I haven't agreed with you much lately DD, but this is something I can totally get behind...

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I want them to have a top 3 draft pick this year and next however that can be acheived.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This. I am also ready for the Yao era to come to an end. As much as it pains me to say it. I love Yao, but he's taking us nowhere.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I want Harrison Barnes. Only superstar-potential player in this horrendous draft (thanks for sucking this year guys, could have done it two seasons earlier and get a shot at Wallnuts & Griffin!).

What I want even more, is for the Knicks to be extremly crappy as well.

If both the Knicks and us finish within the top 5 worst records, we have a serious shot at that #1 pick.

In the meanwhile, let Taylor, Budinger, Hill and Patterson play.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Btw, I still want to keep Yao.

Dude is freaking huge, we won't get a better center before years and years. Lets just not build AROUND him anymore.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

blow it up, bench battier, play JT, start Hill at center, top 5 pick, perry jones/kyrie irving. This will let the young guys go out and show their stuff, and help us get a top pick for a change.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Whoever wants this team to tank I hope they aren't the same people whining after every loss.

1 person likes this.
  13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'm a 110 kind of guy so doing anything less that your best is unacceptable to me.

14. vick

vick Member

Tank games, let expiring contracts expire, blow up team. It doesnt take long to rebuild team, but only if you redo whole team. Let Battier, Jefferies, Yoa, etc, go. :eek:

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This is such a stupid question. We are in a unique and enviable situation as a result of the Knicks trade whereby we could potentially make the playoffs and still receive a lottery pick. Until it becomes mathematically impossible by way of our losing or the Knicks winning, then this premise is uninformed at best and absurd at worst.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Wait until the deadline, and make every player available, but the price should be unprotected first round picks.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'd rather watch entertaining, competitive ball that leads to a playoff birth then tank in the hopes of a superstar in a bad draft. True stars that stay healthy are tough to get, even with a relatively good draft spot. So...while I wouldn't make short term moves to sneak in the playoffs -- I'd expect the team to be fighting to get there.

Win.

18. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think if we don't get a player that can definitively lead our team we will not make it deep in the playoffs. Yao is a great player but does not have the skill set to carry the team on his back when the time is needed (for a championship, etc.) I am not saying that we should blow up the team or stop trying in order to get a better pick but we should realistically take this year out of our mind for a deep playoff run. In result, I think we should give players time to develop and if we have a bad record, so be it or even better...

If we can get a top player from the draft, maybe Michael Gilchrist, we will be a legit competitor in two years from now. We'll have to resign and baby Yao to and through an extension. Assuming that the year is two years from now, we would have to trade away battier, expiring JJ, pat pat and Lowry for a Brandon Jenning type of point guard (yes, salaries don’t match) and slide brooks to the backup spot. Better to do it this year while there is some value left in the battier.

Obviously this is a very vague suggestion that I made about the team, but I'm trying to describe the skill set that I would like to see on our roster a couple of years from now.

Unless we convince a star to come to Houston; it’s not gonna happen without the draft…

Jennings equivalent/AB/Ish
    Yao/Miller/Chuck
    Michael Gilchrist equivalent/Chase Budinger
    Kmart/Courtney Lee
    Scola/Hill/Chuck

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Which do you prefer?

-- added a poll to this thread --

The year to tank was last year. That was my only real disappointment with last season (after Yao got hurt)... that we didn't end up with a better pick considering Yao and T-Mac were done. But that gave us more hope for this season.

I say you got to keep going. Get Yao and Brooks back and start drawing some real conclusions in the next few months about the direction of the team.

20. The Hard G

The Hard G Member

What kind of question is this?

I much rather us be in the playoffs, even if we get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round than go in complete tank mode.