1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Scott Feldman to Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Aug 1, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It does take two teams to make a trade.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. Feldman was the only disposable pitcher that had any trade value

3. crose

crose Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, great. I'm sure if Hawaii had a team and gave him 3 years for 30 million, he'd be saying how he was really looking forward to going back to his birth place. If Anaheim gave him that kind of money then, he'd be saying how has longed to return to where he grew up, and so on...

The point is that we gave him the best contract offer, because we had to overpay at the time to attract anybody to our situation. And, he is gone after this year anyway so at least we have something to show for it.

I'm not dissing the man, but this allows for "some" movement and now we get to see Musgrove.

How can you not be happy with this?

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

We got nothing for someone who has been a dependable bullpen guy. It was a salary dump to offset Gurriel.

Musgrove could be great or struggle like Reed and Bregman have.

We have payroll flexibility and prospects. Not sure why we'd sit on our hands other than payroll concerns

5. No Worries

No Worries Member

It was not a salary dump. Feldman walks at the end of the year and the Astros would get nothing for him. Feldman would have given the Astros another 30 IPs, mostly low leverage. Now the Astros give those innings to a prospect and develop the prospect for next year.

1 person likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Who says I dont agree with the move? Of course we had to move him with his contract being up but I still feel like he wouldve helped us more than Fiers does with his consistency in the rotation.

And to say we offered him the most is the reason he came here, is only part of the reason. His contract turned out to be a value contract with what pitchers are getting now anyway. Throw in the incentive of his wife being from here and the fact he would get a chance to have a bunch of starts, Im sure if another team offered him 3yrs/33mil, it wouldnt have been enough to sway him.

7. crose

crose Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we will never know since he was not offered anything else as far as I can tell or remember.

This is the only thing I found about ANY other offers:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10091792/houston-astros-sign-scott-feldman

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

We got more than $30MM worth of production from Feldman.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

I say trade everyone of value and not only that trade them to a team that you hope to beat out of a wildcard spot. That's crazy like a fox **** right thur!

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chavez is a projectable young arm with feel and solid stuff. Astros' love this approach to trades. Has paid off. <a href="https://t.co/B41hURnfFV">https://t.co/B41hURnfFV</a></p>&mdash; JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) <a href="https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/760235879755415552">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't see how the Astros got better today. The Rangers clearly did. Color me less than excited about this move. :confused::confused:

12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Stop it with all of that logic. There's no place for that here.

1 person likes this.
  13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Luhnow nailed the Feldman trade. Already directly responsible for 1 win, which could be the difference in making the playoffs.

14. Smacktle

Smacktle Member

Hopefully Feldman will pitch tomorrow too!

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lmao imagine if you told the guy yesterday what would happen today

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Astros got a top 20 Jays prospect and there's 4-5 arms in the Astros farm that can outperform Feldman, a free agent not going to be retained. It started with Feliz & Devenski, now Musgrove and should continue with Hoyt, Rodgers, Martes & Paulino

17. vince

vince Member

Crazy Davenski was left unprotected in the rule 5 draft, and nobody took him.... Pheww!!!! That was a stroke of luck.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Very weird for Feldman and great geting the win.

Hopefully not the trade's best aspect.

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

We didn't get better, but this trade didn't necessarily hurt us much. I think Feliz and particularly Devenski made Feldman's role minimal. We could potentially get better if the prospect that replaces Feldman (Musgrove or more likely for me Hoyt) comes up and produces.

I'm very disappointed we didn't get another starter or bat, but not knowing how other teams valued our prospects vs the ones they got, I can't say Luhnow made a mistake. He saw it was a sellers market, and he sold. I'm a little surprised he didn't move Neshek as well.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Once Feldman made the move to the bullpen, the Astros had a rare commodity, 3 relievers who could provide quality multi-inning relief. They were redundant in that area and that was the position the could lose a part of easiest.