1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Astros negotiating with Jeff Kent????

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Dec 17, 2002.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

That is what Brian Kenny reported on Sportscenter just now.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn .... that's eery - same thread titles and all :)

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Speedy CF (please Santa won't u bring me a speedy CF who can get on base?!?)
    2. Biggio - 2B
    3. Berkman - RF
    4. Bagwell - 1B
    5. Kent - 3B
    6. Ward - LF
    7. Lugo/Everett - SS
    8. Ausmus - C

Oswalt
    Miller
    Reynolds
    Hernandez
    Saarloos
    Dotel
    Wagner

maybe we can make some noise in our division and the playoffs. Wouldn't it be something if we managed to land another frontline starter and that elusive left-handed reliever to fill out our pitching staff!!

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm a bit skeptical. They probably will make him a lowball offer, that they know he will decline, just to say they are trying to bring in Free Agents. I seriously doubt Drayton will pay the money for Kent.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

dayum....I beat out the great one.

Clutch, great minds think alike. :)

I am pumped up about this opportunity that the Astros have. Because any second baseman is an upgrade over biggio in my opinion, because of Biggio's age, and his nightmarish clutch hitting in the playoffs.

I think the Astros still have World Series dreams, and in order to realize that dream, an upgrade at second base is needed. so, why not bring in an NL MVP.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I saw this during the weekend. I thought maybe we have a shot, but then Sunday, they reported he was close to returning to San Fran, then he passed on their offer. If we get him, it would be huge. I read this weekend that he wouldn't mind playing 3rd. That means we can focus on a speedy defensive CF, regardless is he has no pop at all in his bat because we'll have Kent. Scuse me whilst I drool at the prospect . . .

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone mentioned in another thread (Castor I believe), I don't think they will sign Kent to a deal unless they trade one (or both) of either Hidalgo or Wagner. But, I have no problem with Wagner or Hidalgo's money going to a guy like Kent who will drive in 100 runs.

8. Oski2005

I remember reading that Hunsicker called the idea of getting Kent "pie in the sky." High hopes, know what I mean.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Kent would play 3B with us. Keep in mind that while we aren't alone in the Jeff Kent sweepstakes, it doesn't seem that there are many suitors remaining.

Does anybody know what meeting Gerry Hunsicker was in this afternoon when he told Bob Allen that he'd have to talk to him later and then Gerry delayed his press briefing TWICE?

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hunsicker not done dealing yet
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker spoke with Montreal GM Omar Minaya at the Winter Meetings. (Stephen O'Brien/AP Photo)

NASHVILLE -- Houston General Manager Gerry Hunsicker worked late into the night trying to work deals to strengthen his club but when the day was done the only acquistion by the Astros was one to obtain a minor league outfielder, Victor Hall, from the Colorado Rockies for right-handed reliever Nelson Cruz.
    The Astros had discussions with Jeff Klein, who represents free agent slugger Jeff Kent, and are eyeing several free agents including pitchers Mark Guthrie, Chad Fox and Jimmy Anderson, released by Pittsburgh on Monday. Hunsicker had also talked with Montreal GM Omar Minaya during the meetings, but the Houston GM said Monday night that nothing was in the works with the Expos.

Hunsicker declined comment when asked if he had spoken with Klein on Monday. Hunsicker and the agent had previously confirmed they have had talks. Klein did not return a call to MLB.com Monday.

"I'm not going to react to (questions about) individual players," Hunsicker said. "As I said yesterday the Kent thing was pie in the sky, about as close to a miracle kind of thing that you could expect, so I wouldn't hold your breath."

Hunsicker used similar adjectives in late July of 1998, and within 24 hours had pulled a deal for Randy Johnson.

"Strange things can happen," he admitted. "There's just a lot more problems with something like that than your average negotiation."

Hunsicker said he made progress on several fronts, some involving free agents others involving possible trades. He declined to give specifics.

"I've still got some things working, still trying to make something happen and still optimistic that we can make something happen," Hunsicker said. "I don't anticipate anything happening today but hopefully by tomorrow maybe we'll have something. We're talking with a number of free agents and several trade proposals are in the development stage."

When asked if he was waiting for an answer Hunsicker said he would prefer not to answer that question.

"I'll just say we made progress today and I'm optimistic that by tomorrow anyway that we're going to have at least one proposal that comes to fruition," he said. "I think a number of things we're trying to do would be significant additions to the club."

Houston, which had previously come up short on bids for free agent pitchers Woody Williams (signed with St. Louis), Mike Remlinger (Chicago Cubs) and Chris Hammond (Yankees), on Monday lost out on yet another free agent target, reliever Mike Stanton. The left-hander signed a three-year, $9 million contract with the Yankees.

"Well it was difficult because Mike would have been a great fit for us," Hunsicker said. "We needed a left-hander in the bullpen, he would have been a nice fit for us but we knew all along that New York was where his heart was and that appeared at least to be his first choice. There's not much you can do to compete against that."

Stanton, who is from Houston but lives in New Jersey, also had family members tempting him to sign with the Astros.

"It was very tempting," he said. "To tell you the truth, that was something I had to look at. The Mets were definitely my first choice and that's where I wanted to be. But if this fell apart, I would have no qualms whatsoever to play for Houston. Because they're doing kind of the same thing -- they're making steps to better that organization."

Hall, 22, is a left-handed hitting center fielder. The former 12th round draft pick by Arizona in 1998 was selected by Colorado during the Major League phase of Monday's Rule V draft. Considered by scouts to be a Kenny Lofton-type lead off hitter, Hall swiped 122 bases during the 2000-2001 seasons, then hit .278 with 26 steals in 91 games at Class A California and .286 with seven stolen bases and nine extra-base hits after getting promoted to El Paso of the Texas League for 38 games at the end of the season.

Cruz, who agreed to terms on a one-year contract late Monday night, openly criticized manager Jimy Williams last season over his handling.

Hall is an above-average prospect, but not a player expected to help the Astros in 2003. Help there could come as soon as Tuesday.

"We've made enough progress on several fronts that I certainly wouldn't rule out something happening tomorrow," Hunsicker said. "We're far enough down the road that I think we have a chance to make something happen tomorrow. But that last mile is always the toughest and a lot of things happen. Yogi (Berra) had the best answer I've heard on these things: 'It's never over until it's over.' "

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...216&content_id=187054&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if he declined 8 million per from the national league champs what is he expecting to get? i have reservations about paying him even that unless i know berkman can do similar for him what bonds did.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

BigM,

Kent can hold his own anywhere. It was once true that Barry helped him a lot, but he can carry his own weight now and is a fine hitter. 8 mil is a bargain for a 2b with his power. Most years he gets 10 plus easy, but spending has curtailed big time this offseason in terms of dollar amounts.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's that, Nelson Cruz? You don't like playing in Houston and want a trade? Okay, sure. You're the boss.

You're going to Colorado.

Nelson: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he definitely has talent, no doubt, but with such a tight budget is he really the guy to pay the money too? what we have to know is exactly how far past his prime he is. plus, when was the last time he played third base? i'm all for the astros improving in anyway and this would be a great addition, but i'm always gonna wonder what we could have instead. colon and a centerfielder maybe?

15. Oski2005

You know, finding a speedy defensive CF is about as easy as finding a large Squid. We know they exist and we have seen them before, they are just extremely rare.

Let's name some really good CF's.

Off the top of my head:

Johnny Damon
    Carlos Beltran
    Darin Erstad
    Torii Hunter
    Andruw Jones
    Mark Kotsay
    Juan Pierre

Am I forgetting anybody? These are like the holy grail of CF's in this league, we won't get one of them.

16. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Kent's not a very good 3B but maybe a full workout this offseason and spring training will help. He's lost range at 2nd so 1st is actually his best position. I really think you guys have to offer him $10million plus and what I've heard about Hunsicker, that maybe when hell freezes over.

If you are wondering who the hell I am, just a Rockets fan casually glancing at what the Astros are doing. I used to live in Houston and rooted for Glenn Davis, Cruz, Scott, and the Ryan Express. But, since long moving to Oakland, I'm more of a hard core A's fan now but still consider the Astros my "NL team."

Anyways, the A's need a CF leadoff man and the only FA left is Kenny Lofton...I don't want him longterm and I don't think you guys want him longterm either but both teams will be playoff caliber next year so...let the bidding war begin (my A's are cheapasses so the ball is in the Astros court)

17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Who needs any of those players when the Astros just acquired Victor Hall? I'm worried that the Astros are actually interested in Jeff Kent. If they do sign him, then Drayton will have every excuse in the world not to re-sign Oswalt and Miller when their contracts are up.

Gotta love them 'Stros!

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems you guys were about 9 hours too late :)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47670
    albeit I did not start my own brand new thread to announce it.

If the Astros are serious about Kent negotiations i think they will have to find someone to take on Richard Hidalgo's contract. They will also have to try to move Blum, but it seems like the Mets are interested in him. The other hot Houston rumor I have heard a couple of times is that the Astros may consider dealing Wagner. He really miffed some people last year when he made some disparaging comments about the organization.

CK

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

derrock,

Can you explain to me why the As would be looking to deal Tejada?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There was a mention in a sports story that the A's may be looking to be proactive in dealing Tejada before he is due the big bucks.