1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros aren't choking, since the Rockets went from choke to Clutch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by heypartner, Oct 6, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

any other Rocket's fans annoyed by this quote from Dierker.

So let me get this straight. By this logic, the Boston Red Sox can claim the clutchness of the Boston Celtics, simply because they are in the same town. (Maybe BobFinn* can help me with this one.) ;)

ummm, the reason we had Choke City on the front page (prematurely, I might add) to the point we still talk about the Rockets being "chokers" before being eliminated is because the Rockets were being grouped with all the chokes of other sports teams in Houston. If the other teams in Houston had not choked so consistently through history, there is no "Choke City" title that is still being referred to today. So, now that the Rockets thoroughly rebuked that whole logical argument based on historical non sequitors, and they now own the copyright to the phrase "Clutch City" (true, I might add), Larry Dierker can license it to say the Astros could be following the Rockets footsteps.

...and the Red Sox deserve more respect from their fans since the Celtics are mystically clutch...

root for Astros as best you can, but don't compare them to the Rockets in an effort to borrow their history!

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Amen..

On the side note. Astros choke again, looks like they are going to lose this game.

CHOKE CITY!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

so, who would start Reynolds tomorrow? I don't think I'd do it. We could still win the game without him, and we'll need him for game 1. It's a tough call. Schilling and Johnson will be tough. But Maddux and Glavine have owned the Astros. So what you gonna do? Ya know.

I hope Oswalt will be ready to go for game 3. We are going to need him something fierce.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

People often use/steal ideas or concepts that have proven to be successful. Dierker is simply using the Rockets scenario of being given up for dead, since the Astros have lost 7 of their last 8 games, and not given much chance of doing anything in the playoffs.

The Rockets lost the first 2 games at home to Phoenix, yet fought of all adversity to come back and win that series, and eventually the championship. The Astros, while not in that dire straights, can still get their act together and win the World Series.

As for the Redsox/Celtics scenario, the Redsox have to win their division more than once in a blue moon, to even remotely be compared to the Celtics.

Yes Reynolds should start tomorrow. I would much rather face the Braves. Glavine has had an off year by his standards, and the Astros have hit Maddux well this year, as well.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just to annoy folks... bumping this.

In all seriousness, does the fanbase for Rockets/Astros/Texans/Dynamo have the same mentality or is it distinct for each team?

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm an Astros fan. I don't know anything nor care about the others.

7. Qan

Qan Member

Can you believe how long this has been...over 2 decades. Time flies in but a few blinks of your eyes.