1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros '01: Choke City III

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baqui99, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Another awesome game by the Astros. I for one hope we keep losing. We don't deserve to be in the playoffs with the way we've been playing. It's amazing to see how the hell all of our players can slump at the same time.

Jeff "Windmill" Bagwell is trying to win the game with one swing every time up. Alou stopped hitting homers in like July. Hidalgo is sitting on his new contract. Biggio is looking like his age. Lugo boots grounders like there's no tomorrow.

As for the pitching staff, how can we expect to win when we've got losers like Ron Villone, Dave Mlicki, and Tim Redding taking the mound? Mike Jackson is absolutely horrible. Mike Williams and Dotel are burned out. Shane Reynolds is inconsistent as usual.

Some heads will roll this fall if we continue to lose our way out of the playoffs. This has gotten to the point where it is funny. THE ASTROS SUCK!

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Yeah the Astros are really suking, I'm kinda getting frustatrated.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

At least we didn't give up a homer to Bonds.

But other than that, we are sucking so hard it's not even funny. I mean damn, not one damn part of the team is performing. At least St. Louis somehow lost.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I too think the Astros suck.

5. Elvis Costello

The Astros are better off not making the playoffs at this point. We are in full collapse mode and backing into a series with Arizona and their pitching staff would only further the humilation.

6. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I actually thought the Astros might do something this year. Boy was I wrong. The Astros have been looking very pathetic lately. I'm not going to watch them anymore, it's a waste of time. I'm ready for the Rockets to start playing.

7. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Nice to see the Astros have such durable fans.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The bats have decided to hit...down 11-3, now it's 11-7, 2nd and 3rd, 1 down.

C'mon Doggy!!!

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

sigh....:(

10. Baqui99

Nice to see the Astros have such durable players. :)

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Damn you guys need to chill the hell out.

For a team that sucks, we have the best record in the National League (without a solid #1 starter). A team that is close to a playoff spot really sucks :rolleyes:

ITS CALLED A SLUMP FOLKS. The Astros hit it at the worst possible time (the end of the season). As evidenced by the final at bat in the bottom of the 9th, we can still swing the bats, its just a matter of time.

Given our pitching situation, we should be damn thankful that we have come this far.

Give me a break FAIR WEATHER HOUSTON FANS........

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I have no problem with them pitching around Bonds. I do have a problem with the fact that he ended up scoring 3 runs with one official at-bat. Ideally, imo, fans want to see the Astros win AND Bonds hit a homer. The problem is neither is happening. Pitching around him is not to spite his record chase, but is strategic move in order to enhance your chances of winning the game. Obviously, the strategy has failed horribly the last two games. I say go after him tomorrow. Maybe he'll hit one out, and maybe the Stros can win one.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hey atleast you guys will stop whining about the Astros choking in the playoffs. This year they have started to do it before the playoffs.

THE ASTROS ARE JUST PATHETIC!

GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!

#1 Yankee Bandwagoner :)

14. Houstone

Houstone Member

All the Astros fans are panicing, there runing in the streets screaming. OMG:D

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Astros don't deserve to go to the playoffs because they got injured. No <b>playoff</b> team would <i>ever</i> get injured during the season. Getting injured is for chumps.

Come on, some of the guys may be in slumps, but 3/5's of what the starting rotation should be are injured for the rest of the season. Mlicki, Redding, and Villone have performed <b>more</b> than admirably in their place, and we should be thankful for that.

As for the bats.......well.....it is the Astros. They have had problems in the past hitting late in the season, and this season is no different. But just because they have timed their worst stretch of season towards the end does not mean that they don't deserve to go to the playoffs. If we have a good enough record to get into the playoffs, then we deserve to go.

<i><b>We will have a good enough record to get into the playoffs.</i></b>

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I went to the game tonight. It was embarrassing on three counts:
    1) The way we played. Biggest waste of 4 hours ever in my life.

2) The way the fans acted by booing our pitchers when they pitched around or walked Bonds.

3) The way everyone cheered for Bonds. I guess we became the San Francisco Astros and no one told me.

#16 Lynus302, Oct 4, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2001
  17. Baqui99

3) Deal with it, man. Just about the whole damn country is rooting for Barry. It's helped take our nation's mind off of all the distractions.

2) As far as booing, they are right. Walking Bonds has come back to hurt the Astros during the last two games. Maybe it's time to start using a different strategy. Walking him isn't working.

1) Sorry you had to witness this pathetic display of what the Astros tried to pass off as baseball. Maybe Dierker ought to try the old "win one for the gipper" speech. :)

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

3) Like hell. The fact the my hometown Astros were making some GOOD noise had me excited. The fact that the 'Stros had come from damn near the bottom of the division to lead it by 5 games had me excited. The fact that Oswalt had become the terror of the National League had me excited. The fact that a star from another team is breaking a record is not lost on me, mind you, but I'm not going to freaking cheer for his ass when he is playing against my team.

2) I don't think they're right. They pitched to him an awful lot and only walked him intentionally once. Keep in mind that it was Redding doing most of the pitching; he's good, but he's no star. I saw several pitches that looked like strikes to me get called as balls when Barry came up to bat. Could it be because Bud Selig was in the house the umps were giving some preferential treatment? Nah.

1) Woohoo! I agree.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

An excerpt from ESPN:

http://www.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1258994.html

Perhaps, but the three runs he scored Wednesday after being walked also represented the margin of victory.

"If you walk him three times and he winds up scoring each time, then you end up losing," Astros manager Larry Dierker said. "And if you pitch to him and he hits a home run but you win, what difference does the home run make?"

Mind you, Dierker said that before the game. So things didn't go exactly according to plan for the struggling Astros. As is often the case when teams face Bonds.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<h3>Alright, I am not an Astros Fan</h3>

But let's make one thing clear on this website, dammit

<h1>There was no Choke City II</h1>

The Rockets won the damn title after the Oilers blew their big lead to Buffalo, and Fran Blinebury was a jump-off-the-bandwagon idiot for using the Rockets as his first big Choke City statement in 1994!!!!

Do not mention Choke City on this website again! Go to another Houston sports fan site to say that.

Say what you want in the hangout...but don't ever say Choke City II or III here again, as if Blinebury was correct about the '94 Rockets or the '95 "heart of a champion." and Clutch was wrong about naming this site.

"Don't EVER underestimate the heart of a champion." This is an outragious thread title on this site..

who is the author....poooof....no second chance!!!