1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astrodome Memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macho GRANDE, Jun 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Making out with a girl my 8th grade year during the Garth Brooks' concert. Good times.

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I caught a foul ball during a Houston Vs. Pittsburgh game.
    :( Those were beautiful times.

4. macho GRANDE

My best friend's sister was a Derrick Doll during the early to mid 80's and we regularly got to sit on the field during Oiler games. That was like heaven to a 12-13 yr old. Plus raging hormones and Derrick Dolls wasn't a bad mix either. Too bad the team sucked during that period. Larry Moriarty anyone?

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

WrestleMania 17

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Watching the movie with the Bad News Bears playing in the dome was pretty dang cool!!

7. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Watching Randy Johnson get his first career hit and RBI during the same game...then he left:mad:

Going to the players exit after games and meeting the good--guys...

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I worked on the visitor's sideline at Oiler games in 1973. Sat next to Joe Namath on the bench and pretended that all the girls were vying for my attention.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Foamers, the 1980 playoffs vs. the Phillies (I was at game 4...the one with the screwed up triple play), and last but not least...1981...The Rolling Stones, with ZZ Top and the originalFabulous Thunderbirds opening up. I drove in from Austin with a buddy, stopped at my folk's house where my Mom made us lunch, went to the bank to get some cash, went to the Dome and saw the shows, and drove all the way back to Austin from the Dome parking lot stoned out of my bejeebers. And I still made it to class at UT the next day!

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yikes! Bill Petersen, 1-13! Did you have to undergo counseling after that????;)

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Being on the field for The "Luv Ya Blue" party after the loss to the Steelers. The game was in Pittsburgh so when the team flew back to Houston the bus came right from the airport onto the Astrodome field. There was a stage set up and the entire team got up there. The noise was deafening.

No question that was the Largest crowd EVER in the Astrodome for ANY event. People were sitting on the air conditioning unit for cryin out loud (how they got up there I will never know). This was the one where Bum Phillips made the famous "This year we knocked on the door, next year we will kick the damn door in." The place went nuts.

Awesome memories!!!

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at all that open land around the Astrodome...my how things have changed! :eek:

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The greatest Astrodome event should be the UCLA vs UH game, Big A vs Big E, game of the century. Unfortunately, I wasn't there.

My first time at the Dome was a Cougar football game against A&M, with a roll-full of Aggie fans in front of us. THEY NEVER SAT DOWN the whole game! :mad:

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This is my next door neighbor. She's 52 now, but this was taken about 25 years ago:

[​IMG]

She's still in great shape.

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

and she can hop a fence, too!

She hopped the fence at Behad's on the day of the Behad/Smeg BBQ!

16. macho GRANDE

I was there also as a broken hearted 9 year old. I really didn't feel the impact until Bum made his famous quote and my mild-mannered Pops went berserk. That's when I realized that I was witnessing something special. Damn, I luv'd Luv Ya Blue. :(

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

LOL!:D :D

I forgot about that. She still hops that fence regularly

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Wow, there are so many.

Seeing my favorite players in person tops the list

Dan Marino
    Nolan Ryan
    Mike Scott
    Earl campbell
    JR Richard

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

By the way, did Tulsa really get demolsihed by UH 100 - 6? :eek: If so, any links to some facts on that game?

20. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

While in high school marching band, we got to do our "show" at halftime of the Oilers vs Steelers game in October of 1989. We got to sit on the turf, by the end zone. Crappy seats to watch a football game, but we didn't care! We got to the dome really early to practice, after that, we had a lil game of touch football on the field!! good times..