1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming Astros make playoffs, what will our rotation look like?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Oct 2, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Game 1= Roy Oswalt (3 days rest) vs. Jaret Wright
    Game 2= Brandon Backe vs. Russ Ortiz
    Game 3= Roger Clemens vs. Mike Hampton
    Game 4= TBA vs. John Thomson

Assuming Game 1 on Tuesday, Roy Oswalt on 3 days rest scares me because he is not well built, and he struggling vs Dodgers on 3 days rest earlier. Roger is going pitch Sunday so he can't pitch Wednesday if thats when game 2 is. I wonder who pitches Game 4 because Pete and Carlos both stink and Redding and Duckworth aren't any better.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

This may sound stupid, but what about putting Chad Qualls in the rotation. Remeber he has been a starter his whole career including half of this year. Are bullpen looks preety solid with Miceli, Harville, Wheeler, and Lidge. Qualls gots a good sinker and solid control. I like this kid.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This is how our rotation will be in the playoffs:

1. Roger Clemens

2. Roy Oswalt

3. Brandon Backe

Now all we have to do is score at least 3 runs in each game and we will be in descent shape.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Roger Clemens is not going pitch game 1 after pitching on sunday

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

How do you know he will be pitching Sunday?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because the Giants won yesterday.

The only condition that Phil probably would not have used Roger on Sunday was if the Astros clinched before then... and that would have only happened if the giants lost yesterday and today (which they are not doing).

Thus... it makes Sunday's game important no matter what. If we're up a game, Phil said he didn't want to have to go to the West Coast and play a one-game playoff, and then have to come all the way back across the country and play Atlanta... and if we're tied, that's even more of an immediate situation to pitch him.

He talks about all of this here . Of course, I don't know if its for sure yet that an LA/HOU game would be in LA

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If we make the playoffs, this WILL be the rotation (definitive):

Game 1 (Wed.) - Backe vs. Wright

Game 2 (Thurs.) - Oswalt vs. Thomson

Game 3 (Sat.) - Clemens (on FIVE days rest) vs. Hampton

ALSO... just saw that Russ Ortiz is not in the rotation for the NLDS (Ortiz is always tough on us, but he's been awful in his last 10 starts)

#7 Nick, Oct 2, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  8. Fegwu

I would prefer Hernandez starting on Sunday and giving Clemens his full rest.

I am not happy with him going on a short rest because I remember that he did not do well when he tried it earlier this season.

He is 40 for goodness' sake. We can win with Carlos and the relievers we have like we did on Friday.

I hope coach Garner rethinks thing.

Roger should not start on Sunday. QED.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Roger on short rest and the team at home > than Roger on full rest, team has to fly cross country to San Fran, then if they win... have to fly cross country to Atlanta.

I have no doubt we could win with Carlos on the mound... but you just don't take that chance... especially since Clemens is still in line to start the pivotal Game 3 of the NLDS at home next Saturday.

Now... if the Dodgers somehow put a 10 spot up in the 1st inning (an hour after the Astros game start)... you take Clemens out ASAP.

10. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Giants game starts 2 hours after Stros game (according to ESPN).
    I would pitch Roger tomorrow. Wrap it up tomorrow, have Clemens at full rest for game 5 and beat the Braves!

11. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Would you prefer Clemens starts a 1-game playoff in San Francisco on Monday? Play to win, don't play not to lose.

Clemens wasn't in for too long in his last start. If he tires, we still have Backe, Hernandez, etc. to make it another multi pitcher game.

Every move Garner has made has paid off. I will go with whatever then man decides. Clemens starts if Garner says so. QED, indeed.

12. Fegwu

My biggest concern is that he will be pitching on a short rest. It worries me.

But Garner has done a great job so far so I will not begrudge him for this move.

Last time he pitched on short rest against the Dogers I believe he did not do so well.

That is why I start a lefty (in Carlos Hernandez) because Colorado's most dangerous players are all lefties (see Helton, Burnitz, Hawpe and Piedra).

What if he struggles and it does not go well for us at home on Sunday (God forbid....impossible!!!), what do we do then. If Clemens was going on full rest I would not bat an eye lid - I will say go for it. But I just hope all works out well for us and Clemens deliever.

Go astros!

13. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I thought I read that this was the first time Clemens is pitching on short rest this year, but I guess not. Anyway, here's the reasoning from the man himself.

from here:
    I wouldn't be totally opposed to gambling for a few innings with Hernandez or Backe on a REALLY short leash, because it could pay off huge in the form of Clemens starting game 1 of the playoffs. But I will go with Garner, obviously.

The best would be for MMP to have some sort of roof or power "malfunction", delaying the start of the game by a few hours.